walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Lui Railway Crossing

Ben Lui Railway Crossing

Postby Fudgie » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/news.asp?s=2&id=MCS-N11198&nc=Access

The MCofS have put a message on their site about crossing the railway in Glen Lochay going to and from Ben Lui and are asking for people to inform them if they have crossed the railway there. I'm not sure if I want to incriminate myself :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Ben Lui Railway Crossing

Postby IamAJMiller » Thu May 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Fudgie wrote: I'm not sure if I want to incriminate myself :wink:

I saw this and thought the same thing!.......
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Essan » Thu May 16, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm tempted to fill it in even though I've never crossed the line there, just to help force the issue!
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Tinto63 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:02 pm

I have downloaded the reporting form from Argyll and Bute Council and will be completing and returning it to their access officer. The only time I have crossed the railway at this point was on 16 August 2003 to get to Beinn a` Chleibh and Ben Lui. It is important that as many people as possible respond to this request so that a pattern of use can be established and Network Rail persuaded to install a crossing at this point.

As many walkers will be aware, most guide books give details of this route and only a couple of the newer ones mention that it is an offence to trespass/cross the railway.

Local to me a crossing is provided on the main line between Edinburgh and Carstairs Junction for access to Linhouse wildlife reserve (NT070643). This is on a electrified section of line with a 100mph limit, but with good sight lines. If a crossing can be provided here I see no reason why one cannot be built in Glen Lochy. I attach a few pictures taken in January.

DSC_0185_01.JPG

DSC_0181_01.JPG

DSC_0180_01.JPG

DSC_0178_01.JPG

DSC_0177_01.JPG

DSC_0176_01.JPG
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby MG1976 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm not sure if i'm sticking my head in a noose hear, or lining myself up against the wall for the firing squad.
I work for Network Rail, and have had involvement with various types of "Crossings" projects.
My post is written as a walker, not a jobsworth. I'm all for greater access to the hills, and the following is added to hopefully give a bit more understanding to the issue.

Network Rail (love them or hate them) have various targets relating to Rail Crossing safety. There are two types of crossings which are relevant to this forum; i'm not refering to any Road /Rail Level Crossings with this post.
The two most common types of track crossings are known as "User Worked Crossings" and "Foot Crossings"

User Worked Crossings are those where telephone are positioned on either side of the track, which will put you in touch with a signaller who will advise on the whether it is safe to cross or if any trains are due to pass. These are commonly where the volume of traffic / line speeds is high, the sighthing distance is short or there is a history of safety issues in that area.

Foot Crossings are those where there are no telephones installed, and in contrast to UWC's, the traffic / line speed may be lower, or there is sufficient sighting distances to allow users to detertmine if it is safe to cross or not.

I am aware of ongoing projects to close (remove) User Worked Crossings that are no longer or rarely used. This is a legal process that involves local land owners and councils before any decision is made. Closing pedestrian crossings doesn't always go down well with Joe Public - I fully understand why... (just for the recored).

There are also projects (currently running) to upgrade Foot Crossings (No Phones) to User Worked Crossing (Yes; Phones). This tends to follow increases in traffic or line speed having being increased.

In relation to the original post, I know that public / local opinion is a big factor in such matters. If enough people can back a genuine need to look at installing a crossing, then NR do need to look at it. I wouldn't see prosecution, through this specific issue, being an issue.
If the need is there, and if a good case is made to support it, common sense would suggest that common sense would follow.

Common Sense Really...

I'll be making some enquiries into the best route (pardon the pun) into NR on such requests.
Any useful response, i'll post them here...

@Gie_Us_A_New_Crossing ???
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby bio-man » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:31 am

Just a quick reply to the previous two posts.....I work for BTP and Glen Lochy is within my area. I've been trying for many months now to help resolve this issue and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have met the MCofS Access Officer on a number of occaions and I can assure you that no details of members will be passed to BTP. The survey is for information only and the more replies that are received the better.....

Further.....the crossings at Ben Alder, Dalnaspidal and Balsporran (A9) have recognised foot crossings attached to them and these are legal crossings for walkers.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby tina bonar » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Heading back from Ben Lui now,after 9 hours in the sun we took great delight in wading through the water under the railway line and over the burn too.Bliss!
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm the same just a little wary of dropping myself in it!

Walked through the tunnel on the way up which is great if your a dwarf :crazy: but used the other way coming down, I will probably fill the form in
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby bio-man » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

L-Hiking wrote:I'm the same just a little wary of dropping myself in it!

Walked through the tunnel on the way up which is great if your a dwarf :crazy: but used the other way coming down, I will probably fill the form in

It's not ideal I know, but at this time it's the only legal way from that car-park. Just for your info, 2 weeks previous 7 hill-walkers caused a train to emergency-stop as they were all on the line returning from Ben Lui. Still as Tina mentioned the burn is a great way to cool off!!. L-Hiking I've sent you a PM and anyone else can get in touch. Stay safe.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion