walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

GlenCoe Munros

GlenCoe Munros

Postby AdamH » Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Folks,My first post on here Anyway,

Was Up in Glencoe walking about 3-4weeks ago and was still a bit of snow up Bian Nam Bein and was under prepared so had to turn back.Im going back up end of the week this week and was just wondering how much snow is still up there?also Etive mor and School house ridge.I dont have crampons hence why im asking.

Cheers
Adam
AdamH
Mountain Walker

Re: GlenCoe Munros

Postby andyfitz » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Very little / negligible. Saturday - hardly the classic B E M photo but you get the idea.
263.JPG
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Fudgie » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 am

The north facing sloped seemed to have a bit still on them on Saturday (I was looking from Beinn a Chrulaiste) but most of the snow seemed to have melted. I couldn't see above about 800m though as the cloud was down.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Still some big patches on the ski slopes visible on the webcams at http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams.html The likely places to still hold some snow are Coire na Tulaich on the Buachaille, the head of the Lost Valley and the gullies beside Church Door Buttress on Bidean. The freezing level will be quite low until Friday so these routes would be worth avoiding until then, and even after that an ice axe might still be a good idea. If you stick to ridge routes you should be fine.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby AdamH » Thu May 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Cheers Guys,Will be heading up on Sunday for 4-5days :)
AdamH
Mountain Walker

Postby binkybunny » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm

We're also hoping to head up on Saturday, weather forecast is looking good for Buachaille Etive Mor, but a bit concerned about the snow as also don't have crampons. Anyone up there that can give an update after last nights snow? I can't get the webcams to work on my laptop :(
binkybunny
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:4   

Postby glenryder37 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm

great ino....am heading up tomorrow for the weekend....nice to know, lets hope the forecast is reasonable
glenryder37
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:4

Postby binkybunny » Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi glenryder :wave: Forecast is looking good sunny, little wind and good visibility but there's been snow on the tops of hills around us (Perthshire) last night so a little worried about icy/ snowy conditions under foot on the tops.
binkybunny
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:4   

Postby altay » Sat May 25, 2013 9:21 pm

I was up there yesterday (lucky me!). I followed the route given here :-http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bideannambian.shtml but I did it clockwise and other than a bit of snow at the top of the Lost Valley at was a good walk.The snow was very soft and easily ascended.

Hope you get the same weather.
Attachments
DSCF3084.JPG
The view from the top
DSCF3079.JPG
The lost valley from the top etc...
DSCF3078.JPG
My footprints...
altay
Mountaineer

Munros:32   
Fionas:1   

Postby AdamH » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Nice atlay,Was going to do that walk,Was it easy to get up that part ahead of the lost valley?
AdamH
Mountain Walker

Postby altay » Sun May 26, 2013 12:46 pm

I wouldn't say it was "easy" but it only required a bit of stamina.

The hardest bit was dealing with the sun shining on my head as I didn't have any sunscreen with me. I ended up wearing my woolly hat to keep the sun off so it got a bit sweaty.

There were a few folks up and down that bit during the 2 hours I had it in sight so there's probably a well worn path by now!

Have fun and enjoy!
altay
Mountaineer

Munros:32   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion