walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fisherfield Munros from Poolewe and Kinlochewe

Fisherfield Munros from Poolewe and Kinlochewe

Postby simon-b » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 pm

The Fisherfield 6 would appear to be a route for a period of settled, dry weather, especially when considering the river crossings and the bogs. I'm staying in the area during the last 2 weeks of June, and if conditions are unsettled, I might think of attempting the western 2 Munros from Poolewe, and the eastern 3 from Kinlochewe. Can anyone tell me if these routes would be less hazardous during wet ground conditions than doing the 6 ( 5 + Corbett) from Dundonnell?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Fisherfield Munros from Poolewe and Kinlochewe

Postby orion » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:34 am

I was up Beinn Lair on Wed 5th June from Poolewe in my trainers.Everything was bone dry :D
orion

Postby mountainstar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 am

Definitely good paths and no river crossings from Poolewe, and some of the best mountain seanery on the walk-in in the Highlands.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks, orion and mountainstar. Those views from the Poolewe route must be good considering what you say, mountainstar, with the number of hills you've climbed.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:40 pm

keep your feet dry and do it this way, the back of slioch and lochan fhada are simply stunning!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32293
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby simon-b » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks, Scoob, I'd read fi's report of your trip; I don't think I'll be doing the 6 all in one day from Kinlochewe without a bike! But it's sounding like the views should be really good, weather permitting, doing the 5 Munros over two walks from Poolewe and Kinlochewe.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Have been in Fisherfield numerous times from different directions and my favourite approach is definitely from Poolewe. The scenery is outstanding.
foggieclimber

Postby meangarry » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 am

I was also enjoying the dry weather in the area last week and although I can offer little advice on wet ground I will say this. If looking to wet your whistle avoid the poolewe hotel, its gash! Thier food is pretty average too and one poor couple I met up Beinn Airigh Charr didn't even get fed on the monday as some fan in the kitchen had burst. :? The kinlochewe hotel on the otherhand is marvelous. Great pints and loads of reservations on tables for food whilst I was tanking said pints. :D
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Concur with all positive comments on walking in from Poolewe - did it last week to bag Ruadh Stac Mor and A'Mhaighdean. Fabulous scenery and the approach and views from Carnmore are magical. It's a hell of a long way though - 33 miles round trip on my GPS. A bike might have helped a bit, but you sacrifice the opportunities to stop and savour the views and progress through the wood from Kernsary looks iffy for biking.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks, fc, Garry and Charles, it's looking like I'm sold on these routes. I've booked a self-catering place, Garry, so I can only blame myself if the food's poor.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby dgm88keys » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:42 am

Hi - I'm also thinking of splitting the Fisherfield 5, and just wondering if anyone might have gpx files for the walks from Kinlochewe and Poolewe? From Kinlochewe looks straightforward, but the walk-in from Poolewe seems to offer lots of opportunities to go astray ... Thanks, people.
dgm88keys
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   

Postby al78 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:26 pm

dgm88keys wrote:Hi - I'm also thinking of splitting the Fisherfield 5, and just wondering if anyone might have gpx files for the walks from Kinlochewe and Poolewe? From Kinlochewe looks straightforward, but the walk-in from Poolewe seems to offer lots of opportunities to go astray ... Thanks, people.

I've walked to Shenaval from Poolewe and with a map, it is easy to keep on the correct path. The only bit that required a bit of navigational care was around Kernsary but even that wasn't difficult. Once you enter the forest just past Kernsary, you follow a track for about a kilometer, turn right onto a path when the track turns left, then just stay on that path, it takes you all the way to the causeway. Once across the causeway keep going then turn right near Carnmore, a path takes you laterally up the side of the glen and into a side glen. When it flattens out at a lochan, turn right and head for the biggest rocky lumps you can see about a mile away.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:45 am

dgm88keys wrote:Hi - I'm also thinking of splitting the Fisherfield 5, and just wondering if anyone might have gpx files for the walks from Kinlochewe and Poolewe? From Kinlochewe looks straightforward, but the walk-in from Poolewe seems to offer lots of opportunities to go astray ... Thanks, people.

You could use the GPS route planner on this site and map it yourself.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby jim hutcheson » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Another option would be to come in from the Braemore side,alongside Loch a'Bhraoin,would get you the Eastern hills, doable in a day.
jim hutcheson
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:178
Fionas:106   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:93   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   Islands:6

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi dgm. After making the original post in 2013, I successfully completed these walks. I'll post my original reports with route maps on this thread asap. My route maps were drawn from memory rather than being GPS breadcrumb trails, as I was using an older non-mapping GPS and not recording the route to save battery life. However I was following waypoints I'd loaded into my GPS, and did mark certain points while on the walks. So I believe the maps are precise enough for macro navigation, and definitely show the correct paths and ridges.

The walk in from Poolewe to Kernsary was fine on foot, and very beautiful but would be rough for cycling. There's an alternative route further south which is probably more suitable for anyone interested in cycling in.

Jim's suggestion about Loch a'Bhraoin could be a good alternative for the eastern 3. But I'd highly recommend the Poolewe approach for the western 2. Out of all my trips to all the Munros, Wainwrights and Welsh Furths, I rate that walk to the Western Fisherfields as the most beautiful British mountain day I ever had.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion