walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dalmunzie Hotel Car Parking

Re: Dalmunzie Hotel Car Parking

Postby al78 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am

Sunset tripper wrote:£4.25 for a pint of Ossian draught beer. Several bottles starting from around £3.50.
It's worth a visit and some good deals can be found. :D

Coming from the SE, that isn't expensive for a pint.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:07 pm

al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:£4.25 for a pint of Ossian draught beer. Several bottles starting from around £3.50.
It's worth a visit and some good deals can be found. :D

Coming from the SE, that isn't expensive for a pint.

Aye, not too bad Al & it's a nice place in a great setting. They didn't have any proper beer like tennents though. :shock:

The SE - where's that? Is it near Berwick? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Wife and I went from there up Gleann Taitneach to Beinn Iutharn Mhor. Back the same way - super route. We stayed in the hotel for two nights. It was over ten years ago. Must have been some special reason. Just asked the good lady and she says it was so I didn't have to pay the parking fee! :crazy:
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby Midge magnet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:32 pm

Since I didn't easily find up-to-date information on line about parking at Dalmunzie, here is an update. As of Sept 2021, the hotel still offers paid walkers' parking. Drive up toward the hotel. Very soon after entering the private grounds there is a (free, I believe) walkers' car park labelled on the right. Continue up the long drive and bear left in front of the hotel as indicated. Park up, and go to reception to pay. I was charged £5 for the day, so inflation has finally caught up - but I still regard this as good value to avoid those extra k's on what is a reasonably long round, if you have the two Munros in your sights.
The hotel asks for your route and expected return time, so they can account for everyone. Overnight parking is not allowed. Your parking ticket also gives you a 10% discount off food (not drinks, apparently?) I didn't make use of this.
It was all pretty relaxed and friendly - I was even invited to use their loos.
Midge magnet
Mountaineer

Munros:110   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks very much for the update! Do you need to pay in cash?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Steve B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:47 am

When I used this a few years back I just sought permission and used the bar at the end of the walk. They seemed more than happy with that.
Probably a lot of costs to recoup after the lockdowns.
Would still use at the rate advised if doing these again.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Alex W » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:48 pm

I stayed at the Dalmunzie Hotel in June to do Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ. Like a poster above, my wife says it was because I was too tight to pay for the car parking. It's £5 and it looks like card or cash.

The bar was out of use when I was there, but a pint will be brought to you to sit in the rather nice lounge areas.

The hotel is a bit run down as are many old Scottish country houses. It's got new owners and there are signs that some money is starting to be spent on it. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Food is very good if you stay for an evening meal. It's in a stunning place.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby KatTai » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 pm

Midge magnet wrote:Since I didn't easily find up-to-date information on line about parking at Dalmunzie, here is an update. As of Sept 2021, the hotel still offers paid walkers' parking. Drive up toward the hotel. Very soon after entering the private grounds there is a (free, I believe) walkers' car park labelled on the right. Continue up the long drive and bear left in front of the hotel as indicated. Park up, and go to reception to pay. I was charged £5 for the day, so inflation has finally caught up - but I still regard this as good value to avoid those extra k's on what is a reasonably long round, if you have the two Munros in your sights.
The hotel asks for your route and expected return time, so they can account for everyone. Overnight parking is not allowed. Your parking ticket also gives you a 10% discount off food (not drinks, apparently?) I didn't make use of this.
It was all pretty relaxed and friendly - I was even invited to use their loos.

Thank you for the update! I was wondering if you could still park at the hotel :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Midge magnet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:30 pm

jmarkb wrote:Thanks very much for the update! Do you need to pay in cash?

Since you pay at the hotel reception, where people are checking out, I am pretty certain they can take a card.
Midge magnet
Mountaineer

Munros:110   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Midge magnet wrote:Since you pay at the hotel reception, where people are checking out, I am pretty certain they can take a card.

OK, great, thanks!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby desmondo1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm

Charge is now £5 pay at reception cash or card. Give you a piece of paper to stick on your car.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion