walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Uamh Tom a Fir-Mor

Uamh Tom a Fir-Mor

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I was up Glen Mor by Schiehallion the other day, and searched for a cave marked on the map, upstream from the bothy. I couldn't find it at all, though I quartered the hillside looking keenly for it. Has anyone out there seen this cave? Any photos? There were some nice old sheiling settlements, it must have been a busy place in its day.
June 2013 130b.JPG
June 2013 129b.JPG
June 2013 127b.JPG
June 2013 116b.JPG
June 2013 109c.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Uamh Tom a Fir-Mor

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 pm

You tell me where the "secret howf" is in the Lost Valley and I will maybe tell you where the cave is.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:44 am

gammy leg walker wrote:You tell me where the "secret howf" is in the Lost Valley and I will maybe tell you where the cave is.

OK - you first.... :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:55 am

It's under a huge rock. I found it one day in torrential rain but it was just good luck and it was about 30y ago so not sure I'd find it again
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:17 pm

mrssanta wrote:It's under a huge rock.

Any huge rock in particular? :?

June 2013 122b.JPG
June 2013 119b.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Sorry Caberfeidh I was talking about the howff in the lost valley. I have been thoroughly told off by Rudolph for not making myself clear.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:You tell me where the "secret howf" is in the Lost Valley and I will maybe tell you where the cave is.

OK - you first.... :D

Eh naw I asked first. :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Eh naw I asked first.

The only secret howff I know of is in the Cairngorms. I did find a wee secretive howff in Glen Coe, but it was locked and obviously very private and small and secret. Except if you were above it, when the roof was obvious, espesh. with snow on it.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:

The only secret howff I know of is in the Cairngorms. I did find a wee secretive howff in Glen Coe, but it was locked and obviously very private and small and secret. Except if you were above it, when the roof was obvious, espesh. with snow on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Myself and Basscadet looked for this when we were up the back of Scheihallion in winter but couldn't find it either :? . There was a fair bit of snow about then so it may have been covered but, if you tried recently without success, it may be that it is just bl00dy hard to find :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:

Is that the one with the memorial stones just a few yards from the door?
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Is that the one with the memorial stones just a few yards from the door?

I didn't notice any memorial stones, but it was snowy. There was a plaque above the door, which read, if I remember rightly, "Jim, R.I.P. Old memories die hard". Which was poignant enough to make me not want to intrude on anyone's memories.

On the subject of howffs, that no-good hoodlum Craigelachie, who sometimes frequents this site, had an idea that it may be possible to construct a network of small, temporary shelters, like tinkers' benders - a type of shelter made from bent tree branches, woven around with twigs and thatched, though these days if built at all, the tinks tend to just cover them with a tarp. Such a shelter could be repaired over and over, or if destroyed, written off as no great loss. Kind of like a dome tent but made from natural materials.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Back to the cave in Glen Mor, by Schiehallion...Does anyone know if there an equivalent website for potholers, cavers, etc.? www.potholehighlands.com? Cavemaniacs-U-Like? Troglodytes-R-Us? I seek the Cave of the Tomb of the Great Man ! I should get an Indiana Jones hat and prepare to be chased by an enormous granite ball...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DonnyW » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I guess the faeries kept its entrance hidden from you Caberfeidh ..here is an extract from "Glen Lyon: the valley of the Sun God" by Phillip Coppens web page. The area is full of magic and mystery..its the epi centre of powerful lay lines

Mount Schiehallion

In modern times, the fame of the Glen has been eclipsed by another fairytale: Mount Schiehallion has been described as the hill of the Daoine Shi, the “Fairy Hill of the Caledonians”, betraying a history with the “fairy people”. The area is therefore one where legend has it that people have been whisked away to the “Otherworld”.

Of particular connection with fairy mountains are their symbolism as entrances into the Otherworld, normally negotiated by caves. There are two main groups of caves on the north side of the mountain: Foss caves near the Braes of Foss car park, and Lassintullich caves, about 2 km northwest of the summit. A third group is in Gleann Mor, on the south side of the hill, beside shielings on the left bank of the Allt Mor. The Ordnance Survey map names one of the group, the Uamh Tom a’Mhor-fir (cave of the great man of the bushes).

It is the best known of approximately 26 caves that have been discovered in the limestone, many are no more than tiny potholes, but some are more than 40 metres long. It is this cave that has been identified as the entrance to the Otherworld. Uamh Tom a’Mhor-fir is known as the cave where fairies loved to dwell. Folklore has it that “there, it is said mortals from time to time dwelt among them, and interesting stories are told of the strange ways in which they were rescued from their power.

I have visited the Praying hands and the House of the Cailleach..but never found the entrance to the Otherworld. I guess its not my time yet ..nor yours :-D
DonnyW

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Perhaps that explains the ethereal voices I heard a-whispering;

Come away, human child,
To the water and the wild;
(With a faerie hand-in-hand)
From a world more full of weeping,
Than you could ever know...

Or was it but the wind in the rushes...?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion