walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Milngavie supply store?

Milngavie supply store?

Postby Venneberg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi there,

I am curious to know if anyone is familiar with the city Milngavie and know if they have a good supply store?
ItĀ“s because IĀ“m starting on the West Highland Way and consider to do some of my food shopping there and might also need gas for my trangia set.
And since I have no clue about what the town contains IĀ“m grateful for any advice

Thanks ahead! :)

Karina Venneberg
Venneberg
Hill Bagger

Re: Milngavie supply store?

Postby allanglens » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Food-wise no problem, plenty of stores - Tesco, Marks & Spencer, various local stores. Don't know for sure about the fuel, but expect you should be ok
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby audreywaugh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

If your travelling to Milngavie by train from Queen Street Station there is an Outdoor Adventure shop next to the station to pick up your fuel. Big Tesco next to the railway station in Milngavie. Have a look on Google Map so you know exactly where it is. Enjoy the WHW :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Venneberg » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much, less to worry about for now ;) IĀ“ll go straight to Google maps
Venneberg
Hill Bagger

Postby StijnG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi,

it's been over 8 years since the above answer was posted so possibily the store the person was referring too no longer exists? In any case, I can't find any camping material related stores in Milngavie using google (maps).

Since we can't take fuel (gas) on the plane we are looking for a store to buy this. There are some in Glasgow which could work but a store in Milngavie would be more practical.

Does anyone know of such a store?

Tx
StijnG
Backpacker

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:25 pm

StijnG wrote:Hi, it's been over 8 years since the above answer was posted so possibily the store the person was referring too no longer exists? In any case, I can't find any camping material related stores in Milngavie using google (maps). Since we can't take fuel (gas) on the plane we are looking for a store to buy this. There are some in Glasgow which could work but a store in Milngavie would be more practical. Does anyone know of such a store? Tx

The Tesco supermarket is there but I have not seen any camping equipment stores there (I was in Milngavie yesterday). Supermarkets and petrol stations often sell methylated spirits, perhaps if you brought a spirit stove you could save yourself the hassle of searching for gas canisters. Benefits include; a bottle of meths is smaller and less bulky than a gas canister. A little spirit burner is often more adaptable than a gas stove.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:42 pm

The outdoor store mentioned in the post 8 years ago is close to Queen Street Station in Glasgow and not in Milngavie. It's still there according to googlemaps. I am not aware that Milngavie ever had a dedicated outdoor adventure store.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby cruachan06 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:36 pm

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107057&p=451918#p451918

Thread from July of last year, there's Blacks and Millets in the centre of Glasgow and also apparently the pet shop in Milngavie stocks coleman gas.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby BigTed » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 pm

StijnG wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of such a store?

Tx

I live in Milngavie. I have a voice at the back of my head telling me the local pet shop was stocking a few camping odds and ends including gas. But leave it with me and I'll update this.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm

If flying into Glasgow there is a outdoor shop in Paisley called Summits Outdoor on Moss Street, 5 mins up the road by taxi or walking it is about 2 miles away.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby StijnG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:45 pm

walkingpoles wrote:The outdoor store mentioned in the post 8 years ago is close to Queen Street Station in Glasgow and not in Milngavie. It's still there according to googlemaps. I am not aware that Milngavie ever had a dedicated outdoor adventure store.

Tx, would it be tiso?
129 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, G1 2JA
StijnG
Backpacker

Postby StijnG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:51 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:If flying into Glasgow there is a outdoor shop in Paisley called Summits Outdoor on Moss Street, 5 mins up the road by taxi or walking it is about 2 miles away.

Tx, could be an option since we're indeed flying into Glasgow.
StijnG
Backpacker

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 pm

If you're flying in to Glasgow airport, then to get to Milngavie the most logical route is bus into Glasgow city centre then train from Glasgow Central or Queen Street.
There's a Tiso on Buchanan street and a Millets on Sauchiehall street, both in Glasgow city centre and both of which will sell gas.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby allanglens » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:22 pm

In the original thread the shop in Milngavie that did WHW supplies was 'The Iron Chef'. It has closed, replaced by an upmarket off-license. However, as stated later, the pet shop next door apparently does some supplies.

But for s fuller selection of 'proper' outdoor supplies anyone would be better stocking up in Glasgow.
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby StijnG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks all guys, this was extremely helpful.

See you on the trail.
StijnG
Backpacker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion