walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Office Job Depression

Re: Office Job Depression

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Ritchez wrote:
Back to work on Monday after my two week holiday, feeling very crap about it already, just got to power through it I guess.

Once again, thanks for providing all this information, just got to keep my options open and find something that would suit me

Call me cynical but why would you post something like that on a walking site,maybe you should write to Just Joan or something or maybe you should just be glad you have a job.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dtr42 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm

i hope that last post was in jest "gammy leg walker"some people who are depressed can't express their feelings to anyone close to them and use anonymous forums to express their feeling of misery that the majority of people will experience some time in their life. i hope ritchez gets the help they require be it self help or proffesional help.
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby JTweedie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 am

I hope you find a new direction to move in. I'm in a somewhat similar situation, although not as desperate to move on! I work full time in an office too, but I'm also studying Natural Sciences with the OU with the aim to get a job in a scientific area, hopefully, if my dreams come true, working in Antarctica. At 37 and with 4 years of my degree to go, I'm not sure how realistic my plans are, but I've given myself high goals anyway. They do say aim high don't they!

I've got a few reasons for wanting to move: I've had a back problem (four operations down so far) since I was 14/15 and sitting at a desk all day isn't making it any better. I love, love, love the natural world and I think I'd really enjoy getting a job that gets me into the great outdoors more often. Some say not to get a job related to hobbies, but for me I'm not too bothered about earning loads of money, just enough to get me by as long as I really really love what I'm doing.

Perhaps you could have a look at doing some sort of course like I'm doing and seeing if it spurs you on to something different?
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby Boulderdash » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Ritchez wrote:
Back to work on Monday after my two week holiday, feeling very crap about it already, just got to power through it I guess.

Once again, thanks for providing all this information, just got to keep my options open and find something that would suit me

Call me cynical but why would you post something like that on a walking site,maybe you should write to Just Joan or something or maybe you should just be glad you have a job.

Bloody shocking post to be honest and one completely lacking in compassion or understanding of modern pressures or clinical depression.
It is well documented that walking in the countryside has real Therapeutic results which may have led the original poster here in the first place. Are you just Trolling? At 54yrs old are you really that immature?
Yes this is a site for people with a love of the outdoors and yes this post came from left field. However, do you really think you have helped with your reply? I`m willing to bet that you don`t care.Karma.
Boulderdash
Rambler

Munros:38   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Boulderdash wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:
Ritchez wrote:

Bloody shocking post to be honest and one completely lacking in compassion
. Are you just Trolling? At 54yrs old are you really that immature?
I`m willing to bet that you don`t care.Karma.

Karma.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Perhaps you may be fine when you return to work and settle back in after your 2 weeks off ?
I have been off for 2 weeks and im due back in the office tomorrow and im dreading it because I hate it,although a good walk in the hills yesterday with mr gammy leg walker helped a bit as I got a lot off ma chest to him before I go back :D
He does care, He just types before he thinks :wink:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bobthecollie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:38 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Ritchez wrote:

Just hope gammy leg walker doesn't ever seek sympathy for his gammy leg on this forum! :wink:
Bobthecollie

Munros:63   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Joshm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 pm

BobMcBob wrote:I know exactly how you feel. I could wake up cheery in the morning and the second I walked through the door of the office it was like entering the slough of despair. I was clinically depressed and had professional therapy for some time. Skeleduck recognised these symptoms in you and I think I do too. So, firstly, as other have also said, you're not alone. Secondly, you're aware of the problem and that's the major hurdle. You are in control and trying to do something about it, which is very good.

I was also in a job I just dropped into; I went to university and still hated my job. I say this to point out that having grades and stuff doesn't guarantee a job you enjoy - in fact it is completely irrelevant. Having a job you enjoy is simply about looking hard. Some people have a firm idea what they want to do. Most of us don't, so we have to explore.

Some things I learned that helped get me through;

Learn to switch off at the end of the working day. You may need to find something you like doing; Join a climbing wall, go for a drink, just don't hang around your house - this is just trapping you indoors again.

Once you have that, tell yourself every day that you are not the job. The job now becomes the means by which you earn the money to do the things that make you happy.

Do some volunteering. Most places have a local volunteers web site where new vacancies are advertised every day. Some employers are gracious enough to permit people to take a half day off or even a whole day every so often to do voluntary work. Discuss this with your managers, if you feel they might be up for it. Volunteering is a great way to get experience of all kinds of jobs and can sometimes even lead to employment. It also looks great on a CV.

I know how hard it is to make yourself pull yourself out of situation when your mind gets locked into a cycle like you appear to be in. Don't despair, there is hope, and you will find something that makes you happy.

This is fantastic advice. It largely sounds like you need to readdress your life-work balance. Filling your spare time with things you like doing, and having some plans for your future to aim for will make your current work situation seem less eternal, and less important, and therefore more manageable. The full social life will help keep you fulfilled and satisfied in the mean time and the plans for the future will help give you control, hope, and a work life that you don't need as much distraction from in the future.

Above all you need to remember that no ones life is written in stone and you hold the keys to unlocking the happiness and potential you see in yourself. Take help from other people but never give anyone control of your happiness
Joshm
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby hailiamdigby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Anxiety and/or depression is not a laughing matter.
If you ever have the misfortune of experiencing it, you'll know that.

I went to an excellent GP who gave me some options. There was medication, counselling and cognitive behavioral therapy. I didn't want meds, tried to make an appointment for counselling but it was too restrictive to get in to - I found, at least - but I tried the CBT and found it worked for me. The site he recommended was MoodGYM. You can Google it.

As the CBT seemed to say, depression is something you need to work on. There's probably not some magic wand that can just make everything okay. My advice though would be to seek help now, rather than later. I thought I was strong-willed enough to handle it by myself - like I do with most things - but I left it until it got too difficult, which I should have known better than to do.

Good luck to you and I hope you get the happiness you deserve.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:50 pm

JTweedie wrote:I hope you find a new direction to move in. I'm in a somewhat similar situation, although not as desperate to move on! I work full time in an office too, but I'm also studying Natural Sciences with the OU with the aim to get a job in a scientific area, hopefully, if my dreams come true, working in Antarctica. At 37 and with 4 years of my degree to go, I'm not sure how realistic my plans are, but I've given myself high goals anyway.

Full marks for the OU. Great study programs there. Regardless of what qualifications you have or have not got, there is a lot of scope for valuable learning there. I've studied at a "Bricks 'n Mortar" uni as well as the OU and found them equally effective. Also a good way to meet some cool people.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi R, I think we all suffer a bit of what you have. I used to start feeling depressed on a Sunday morning cos it was back to work on Monday morning, Im certainly in a different job now but what also changed BIG time, was turning my mindset round,, I need to work, fact, but that work pays for my wee car, my weekends away in the hills, my beers at the Clachaig etc,,, Start to view your job as a means to all the other stuff you actually enjoy. It took me a long time, and a change of job. Work to live,, (Ideally I'd love a job that got me out more,,but Im in the IT rut lol so I just make the most of MY time, they only pay me for work hours, and not to worry about it out of hours)

I wish you all the best in your search for what makes you happy. Stay in touch on the site, tag along with others, sometimes doors open but you have to go out and start knocking! Keep smiling, :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Beers in the Clachaig, now thats therapy ! :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh indeed,,in fact,,thats just made up my mind,,was looking for a wee break for myself to celebrate the end of a very long and very expensive loan...Octoberfest at the Clachaig it is!!!!! :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I took a year off and travelled around the world for a year...I have met so many poeple who did the same and worked in hostels, pubs, on farms...well depending on the country I was in...
Dont limit yourself to Scotland...there is a world outside to explore..it opened my views in everything and completely changed me to the better.
If I can recommend one book to you...read the Yes Man...not the film, but the book...by simply saying yes to opportunities you can change a lot in a short period of time.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion