walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arran ferry advice.

Arran ferry advice.

Postby davetherave » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am

We plan a trip over to Arran in the very near future. We plan on taking our car over.
So to my question.... would you suggest i book the ferry or just arrive and hope to get on.

We dont know an exact date yet, and thought we could keep our options more flexable if we just arrived and hoped ! :?

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Arran ferry advice.

Postby Backpacker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:06 am

Me and a mate went over at the Easter weekend and managed to get on no problem, think we got the lunchtime sailing.

Although I almost fainted when I seen the cost of taking a car :shock: :shock:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby StevieC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 am

Just don't try it during Brodick Highland Games (Aug 10th this year). A couple of years ago I turned up for the boat not knowing about the games and couldn't even get on as a foot passenger!
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby islayhawk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 am

I have a relative who works for Cal Mac and listening to what she says I would definately book. That ferry is very busy . You might be lucky but I some how doubt it.
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Postby davetherave » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks all for your quick responce. Looks like the safe bet will be to book in adcance then. :)

thanks again.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

If you don't want to commit to booking in advance, you can always take the Claonaig - Lochranza ferry. It's cheaper too (if you ignore the extra petrol to get round there!).

I used it last year in preference to the Ardrossan ferry - but I did start from Glen Etive and go back via Islay.

037 Lochranza ferry by prwild, on Flickr
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Milesy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Don't take the car. It is a small island and the cost to take cars across reflect the environmental impact of having everyone take their cars across there.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby allanglens » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I would tend to agree with Milesy; depending on what you intend to do; how long you are staying; and the amount of kit you are transporting, you can get by with public transport.

It is a small(ish) island, and from recollection the busses are ok. You could also hire bikes if basing yourself in Brodick and day-walking.

From recollection the last time we went the ferry fare for myself and wife with car was comparable to a couple of nights hotel stay. OK, it was a special offer, but still!
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby chickadee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm

I'd second (third? more?) not taking a car. The buses are fine and go all over the island, pretty much wherever you'd want to go. The drivers, from memory, have fun taking corners a bit wildly, all part of the fun! I was there 3 days a few years ago without a car and we managed to get to many different parts of Arran. The ferry was much better value without and obviously it's better for the environment as the island does have public transport. I love Arran and am just sad it's been so long since I went. Must go back again soon.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby JimboJim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Sure was a massive queue to get on the ferry back from Brodick, about 4pm, a couple of days ago on Saturday. Stretched right on to the promenade.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I would not take the car. A bus ticket which covers the whole island costs less than 5 pounds for a whole day. They go every 2-3h (timed with the ferries) so if you travel anywere you have a minimum of 2-3 hous time at each spot.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion