walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Great Glen Way backwards... and other advice

Great Glen Way backwards... and other advice

Postby nedby » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Total newbie here - to the forum and walking in Scotland (though I have trekked in Nepal and India). My girlfriend and I wanted to spend 3-5 days walking in late August.

We were thinking of walking the Great Glen Way from Inverness to Fort William. Are there any reasons why we shouldn't do it that way? It would really suit our travel arrangements before/after.

It would also be really good to get some advice on accommodation on the route. We don't know really how it works - should we be looking to book B&Bs in advance? Or should we just be looking at hostels - not sure we want to be in dorms every night (but are happy now and again) but also not keen on camping because we'll be carrying all our own stuff.

Also - what other walks might work? We're looking for lots of mountain views and not many midges. We're ok fitness-wise and want 3-5 days.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

Ned
nedby
Hill Bagger

Re: Great Glen Way backwards... and other advice

Postby nedby » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Sorry - also looking at the Rob Roy Way! Confusing.. which is better?!
nedby
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Must say my only experience with this route was from west to east on my bike and stayed overnight in Fort Augustus. What about a copy of the 'official guide' to the Way I sure that will give all the information and places to stay etc. We used to have a copy here, but as it is, when you try to lay your hands on something like this, hmm...who has my copy etc. :( Don't think that there would be a problem going from E-W. I guess that most of the linear routes are set up do in both directions. The route Rangers have an office in Fort Augustus....source of information?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Should have know this. On Walk highlands. Click walks, highland, then Fort William section. hey presto six days worth of information. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 pm

BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Buggiba » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Worth having a look at the Rucksack Readers publication and also the Footprint map. Did it south to north in 2012 over 4 days. Accommodation quite limited. Nice Youth Hostel at Alltsigh on Loch Ness, good Loch Ness Backpackers at Drumnadrochit and a superb private Hostel at South Laggan. George Simpson at Loch Ness Travel does an excellent job of baggage carrying. Let me know if you need any further info.
Buggiba
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion