walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munroitis: A Peculiarly Scottish Affliction.

Re: Munroitis: A Peculiarly Scottish Affliction.

Postby rohan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 pm

I have regularly cycled out from Ellon but only once on my mountain bike (with a full load of geology books on the way over Glen Shee to Kindrogan Field Centre). My mum took her bike on the train ( along aforementioned railway track of course!). Needless to say it wasn't a mountain bike so if she could manage the LRT to Derry Lodge on a 1940s bike ( punctures feature a fair bit in the diary), I should manage it on my tourer but it is precious to me. If the weather is good next week I think I will go for it as I am free Monday- Wednesday. TR with a difference to follow.
rohan

Postby mikedunn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm

footix2 wrote:What Scotland needs... is an Alfred Wainwright to bring a bit of humour and interest to the normally very dry Munro guides.

I have 2 and neither of them are very exciting. :D

Scotland already has one. he's called Hamish Brown; and Hamish's Mountain Walk is so much more interesting than any Wainwright guide.

I do like his line drawings however .... :)
mikedunn
Stravaiging

Munros:203   Corbetts:191
Grahams:124   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:24   Islands:29

Postby chrisandbex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14 pm

:clap: very funny

I don't think the guide book writers can really be accused of herding everyone up the easiest paths just to sell books though. In fact Cameron Mcneish (bless his socks) makes a point of making out that "people on the hills should be more like goats then sheep." Many of the guides offer several different routes up hills. I own just about all the decent guides - Mcneish, Storer, cicerone, SMC and of course the Websters new guide which is fast becoming my favorite. Nearly all of them offer alternative routes but i find them most useful for actually finding the start of a walk - if only I had read McNeish's "start behind the toilet block" before getting completely lost on my first Munro - Ben Lomond :lol: Very embarrassed to think of it now.

I must say though Cameron McNeish's name is used as a swear word in our house, many times have I cursed that man for his route choices so def wouldn't call his book The Bible LOL

Bex
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:14
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:35   

Postby ouroboros » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 pm

chrisandbex wrote:I don't think the guide book writers can really be accused of herding everyone up the easiest paths just to sell books though.

SMC wrote:'You're never alone with an SMC guidebook'. Sounds like a trite soundbite dreamt up by a junior in an ad office, but there is some truth in it. You don't have to use our guidebooks, and you certainly don't have to follow any of the recommended routes found in them, but the information found in our hillwalking, climbing and scrambling series have been built on for over 110 years by experts in the game and would save you endless hours in your plans. Try one today, and see if you agree.

:lol: The SMC's tagline for their own books not only suggests otherwise......but is rather amusingly ironic. :lol:

http://www.smc.org.uk/publications/
ouroboros

Munros:282   

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 am

rohan wrote:I had thought about doing that but have always planned to retrace her steps and take a few photos to add before I do. As it is coming up to the time of year she was there I may actually do this shortly . I can't recreate the train journey but there is a bus to Ballater from Aberdeen, if they take my bike.

The bus out to Braemar will take a bike.. They just chuck it in the luggage bit underneath, as not many folk have much luggage going out that way :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rohan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am

The bus out to Braemar will take a bike.. They just chuck it in the luggage bit underneath, as not many folk have much luggage going out that way

Thanks but we have been caught out in the past on other routes when they have put on a bus as opposed to a coach (not sure of what the different types are callled!) which doesn't have luggage holds. I ducked out of cycling yesterday due to strong westerly wind, what a wimp.
rohan

Postby rohan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 pm

The bus out to Braemar will take a bike.. They just chuck it in the luggage bit underneath, as not many folk have much luggage going out that way

but......

Thttp://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/transportation/cycling/BikesonBusesDeeside2012.pdf

So that is it sorted. Thanks
rohan

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion