walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Is it possible to hike from Sgurr na Stri to the Fairy Pools

Is it possible to hike from Sgurr na Stri to the Fairy Pools

Postby Nora123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi,

I am looking to do my first ever 2-day hike on the highlands. Very excited! I was thinking of doing the following route:
Sligachan - Sgurr na Stri - Loch Coruisk - Fairy Pools - Sligachan

I have found routes for the Sligachan to Sgurr na Stri section and the Fairy Pools to Sligachan part seems very easy. But I would like to know if the following two sections can be done without climbing equipment?

1. Sgurr na Stri descend to Loch Coruisk
2. Loch Coruisk to Fairy Pools (I was planning on crossing the ridge on the west side of Bidein Druim nan Ramh, without actually climbing to the top of the peak)

Also, are there any streams that are fine for drinking on this route?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Many Thanks
Nora
Nora123
Mountaineer

Re: Is it possible to hike from Sgurr na Stri to the Fairy P

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:22 pm

That's a very long and strenuous route - the term "very easy" doesn't really apply to any part of it. Most streams are fine for drinking from up in the Cuillin, but only if there is water in them! Surprisingly the Isle of Skye can have droughts (very surprising for anyone who has been there in non-drought weather!). I have never been over the hills from Coruisk to the Glen Brittle side, I'd say it may be do-able given the right conditions but not enjoyable. You may want to tailor that to an overnight stop by Loch Coruisk then back the way you came next day. I guess it all depends on the weather at the time. What time of year did you plan on?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby benlee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Nora,

This is definitely a strenuous, ambitious route but it depends on your experience/fitness level I guess. Sgurr na Stri up on to main ridge and down to fairy pools is possible but fairly tricky route finding, even in clear weather. If you haven't been in Cuillins before I wouldn't recommend it and would suggest you 'cut your teeth' on easier Cuillin walks first.

My advise would be to walk to Camusunary down Glen Sligachan, take the coastal path to Loch Coruisk (which includes the Bad Step) and then return to Sligachan via the well trodden inland path that goes close to Captain Maryons cairn. On this way back you can take a side trip to Sgurr na Stri (a very fine hill and well worth the visit with a fantastic view of rest of Cuillins and Loch Coruisk. Itd be up to you where you camp but Loch Coruisk and Camusunary are both good spots.

The Fairy Pools, if you really wanted to see them, are just a 15 minute stroll off the Glenbrittle road and could be done another day. Thats my tuppence worth. Hope it helps!
benlee

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Getting from Sgurr na Stri to Loch Coruisk should be fine: just head back north to the path, then follow the Allt a' Choire Riabhaich down to the Loch.

Crossing the ridge via the Bealach na Glaic Moire is not technical but there will be plenty of scree and steep rocky ground. On the way up to the col from Coruisk, take the left hand side of a rocky rib, up scree and passing a spring about 100m below the ridge. The main problem is the route finding on the descent into Coire a' Mhadaidh: a direct line will take you onto steep and dangerous slabs. Instead, you need to traverse NE-ish under Bidein DnR for 300-400m until a steep scree gully leads down into the Coire. The path marked on the OS 1:25000 map shows roughly the right line, but don't expect to find any traces of it on the ground. This section could be very tricky in poor visibility: there are a couple of false gully lines before the correct one.

An alternative way across the ridge would be to head for Harta Coire, over Bealach Harta (the first col NE of Bidein DnR) and down into Coire Tairneilear: also rough screes and no path, but easier route finding.

The easiest crossing of the ridge is the Bealach Coire na Banachdich, but that takes you rather out of your way for a return to Slig.

Please note, I haven't done your proposed route myself: this is all info from guidebooks, but I hope it helps!

None of the ridge crossings are well travelled routes, so it's a fairly serious trip to do on your own, if that's the plan...
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Nora123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Thank you All,

The posts were very helpful, I really appreciate your help.

I will let you know once I did the hike.

Thanks,
Nora
Nora123
Mountaineer

Postby BuddyTGH » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:55 am

Hi Nora,

now nearly 3 years have passed since your last post here.
I was wondering if you enjoyed your trip and if you managed to cross the ridge and where.

I am currently about to take nearly the same route you planned and so any feedback and information would be highly appreciated.

Not sure, if you will ever read this, but it's worth a try. ;-)

Cheers,

Marian
BuddyTGH
Scrambler

Postby Plavuizen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Hello, I’m planning to do roughly the same route in 1.5 weeks time, so would appreciate any update on this. I’m not an experienced hill walker or mountaineer, although long distances (up to 25 miles a day) are not a problem. Would this route than be recommended?
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Postby jmarkb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Plavuizen wrote:Hello, I’m planning to do roughly the same route in 1.5 weeks time, so would appreciate any update on this. I’m not an experienced hill walker or mountaineer, although long distances (up to 25 miles a day) are not a problem. Would this route than be recommended?

The hills haven't changed!

I would not recommend this for anyone without hillwalking or mountaineering experience - it involves rough rocky pathless terrain and requires good navigation skills.

The Fairy Pools are over-hyped and getting spoilt by the numbers of visitors. There are plenty of better things to do/see on Skye.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Plavuizen wrote:Hello, I’m planning to do roughly the same route in 1.5 weeks time, so would appreciate any update on this. I’m not an experienced hill walker or mountaineer, although long distances (up to 25 miles a day) are not a problem. Would this route than be recommended?

The hills haven't changed!
I would not recommend this for anyone without hillwalking or mountaineering experience - it involves rough rocky pathless terrain and requires good navigation skills.
The Fairy Pools are over-hyped and getting spoilt by the numbers of visitors. There are plenty of better things to do/see on Skye.

Agreed. And the lack of communication from the original poster is becoming suspicious. If you find a skeleton on the slopes above Coruisk, clutching an O.S. map with the route marked on it, let us know. And turn back lest ye meet the same fate...

Ard Dorch shore June R.jpg
Camasunary, Sgurr na Stri and Coruisk from Elgol
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Plavuizen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! Any other suggestions for a circular walk between 15 and 20 miles starting at the Sligochan Hotel? Most walks I see in guide books and on the net require to walk back the same route you came, and that does not rally appeal me.
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion