walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping Glencoe/Glen Nevis

Re: Wild camping Glencoe/Glen Nevis

Postby gneiss-camper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:50 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:You are correct that if a test case was ever brought up a court has the discretion to apply the spirit of the law rather than the wording of the law but until that happens there is absolutely no legal basis to suggest that roadside camping is automatically outwith the scope of reasonable access.

A test case would be difficult to envisage - you can't wild camp more than a couple of days anyway under the act so any case brought to remove someone wouldn't be a challenge to the Access Bill as the person being removed would be in breach of its provisions anyway.
gneiss-camper

Postby budvarone » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, that's certainly given me a lot to consider! I was thinking of a roadside/layby type of situation, with the intention of getting an early start on an as yet undecided hill. I live in the Borders and the thought of driving for 3 hrs and then hiking up a munro or two, then driving home isn't one I always relish, an early morning start appeals, and I thought an overnight camp was the answer!

Thanks for all the info

Gavin
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:57   

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 am

I've found the solution to that is head up later in the day and then camp high, as high as you can. I tend to go for 800m minimum. You get to see sunset from your camp, and get the wonderful atmosphere of the mountains at night. When you get up in the morning, you get sunrise from the tops and have the whole day ahead of you and you've already done a lot of the hard work the night before. Perfect for routes with multiple tops or long ridges. Enjoy the hills then saunter down and head home at a decent time.

Way better than pitching at the roadside and you get to see the hills in the most spectacular conditions.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Old Bill » Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm

So are all the signs on the Glen Nevis Estate stating "NO CAMPING" or "Camping by permit only" really just asking politely if you'd rather not camp there rather than a legally enforceable ban?

OB
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 26, 2017 11:44 pm

There are downsides to lots of "wild" camping in popular places and I think the signs deter some people. For instance if loads of people camped there it would lead to a public health hazard from the faeces and rubbish that people leave behind. Another good reason to camp up high well out of the way of other campers and make sure that you dispose of your "waste" properly well away from water sources and buried. other threads have discussed this problem at length.
The Glen Nevis campsite may be a bit pricey but at least there are showers and proper toilets
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 am

I don't think wild camping in the lower part of the Glen next to the road or river is good practice. But I think the main reason the no camping signs were put up was to get more paying customers in to the campsite. :wink:
Sunset tripper

Postby Old Bill » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

mrssanta wrote:There are downsides to lots of "wild" camping in popular places and I think the signs deter some people. For instance if loads of people camped there it would lead to a public health hazard from the faeces and rubbish that people leave behind. Another good reason to camp up high well out of the way of other campers and make sure that you dispose of your "waste" properly well away from water sources and buried. other threads have discussed this problem at length.
The Glen Nevis campsite may be a bit pricey but at least there are showers and proper toilets

Showers?! What are they for?? ;-)
Old Bill
Wanderer

Postby Old Bill » Sat May 27, 2017 9:43 am

Sunset tripper wrote:I don't think wild camping in the lower part of the Glen next to the road or river is good practice. But I think the main reason the no camping signs were put up was to get more paying customers in to the campsite. :wink:

I guess it does get very busy down there, but I reckon that's the main reason! ££ :-) But it is just a polite notice, rather than a promise of court action for trespassing?

ob
Old Bill
Wanderer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat May 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Old Bill wrote:So are all the signs on the Glen Nevis Estate stating "NO CAMPING" or "Camping by permit only" really just asking politely if you'd rather not camp there rather than a legally enforceable ban?

OB

Pretty much, yes. Short of resorting to illegal means themselves, removing a campsite in Scotland is not easy - as the Scottish Parliament will testify to.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mrssanta » Sat May 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Old Bill wrote:

My children tell me they are quite nice.
we never (ok rarely) camp at campsites because we like a bit of peace and quiet (apart from burns, birds, wildlife, all that stuff) and are antisocial old grumps, and don't like paying money - but we did camp at Glenbrittle and Sligachan when we had a week on Skye and I have to say they have really good showers - plenty of water in them.
Never camped at Glen Nevis site myself, actually. we prefer if we can to go up a bit higher, where there may be fewer midges.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Old Bill » Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:
Old Bill wrote:So are all the signs on the Glen Nevis Estate stating "NO CAMPING" or "Camping by permit only" really just asking politely if you'd rather not camp there rather than a legally enforceable ban?

OB

Pretty much, yes. Short of resorting to illegal means themselves, removing a campsite in Scotland is not easy - as the Scottish Parliament will testify to.

Thanks Leithy - thought as much, and one does tend to think about these things on a long walk!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Postby Old Bill » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am

mrssanta wrote:
Old Bill wrote:

My children tell me they are quite nice.
we never (ok rarely) camp at campsites because we like a bit of peace and quiet (apart from burns, birds, wildlife, all that stuff) and are antisocial old grumps, and don't like paying money - but we did camp at Glenbrittle and Sligachan when we had a week on Skye and I have to say they have really good showers - plenty of water in them.
Never camped at Glen Nevis site myself, actually. we prefer if we can to go up a bit higher, where there may be fewer midges.

What do kids know!? ;-)

I've been to both those campsites too, although like yourself prefer not to! But I was very impressed by the showers at both - especially Glenbrittle. I remember putting my 20p in and expecting 40seconds of luke warm dribble, got myself soaped and clean ASAP, only to have perhaps another 10 mins of hot powerful gush! I think it was the longest shower I'd ever had! haha. Although the huge natural salty bath with volcanic bath mat at Glenbrittle was very pleasant too :-)

I actually camped up near the waterfall. No bossy signs that far up - it seems they'd left that to the midges!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Postby redrook » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 pm

They are not legally enforceable. Camp as you like in Glen Nevis. When in doubt, read section 2.11 of the access code. It's all there.

Camping is not "banned" in Glen Coe or Glen Nevis, as no private landowner, including NTS, has the power to do so (unless their land falls under any of the categories in section 2.11 of the code). The only place in Scotland that has a legally enforceable camping ban is east Loch Lomond. Everywhere else the Outdoor Access code applies. It's a very straightforward piece of legislation. If you're into legislation, it could be described as elegant, and probably the best of its kind in the world, especially considering the freedom it affords those who are responsible.

As for layby camping there is nothing in the access code which prohibits it, however, it many instances it would not be responsible to do so, and thus your access rights would not apply. Placing yourself close too close to a road would endanger yourself and pose a hazard, so just use common sense. Parking in the layby and camping off to the side? That's allowed for sure. Same goes for Glen Nevis, despite all those nonsense signs - there are various reasons that you wouldn't be allowed to camp somewhere, detailed in section 2.11 of the code. Like I said, it's a brilliant piece of legislation - http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/sites/default/files//docs/Scottish_Outdoor_Access_Code_-_Part_2_Access_rights.pdf

Referring to it has been my go-to move at work, and it has never failed yet. This has even included persuading people that they are not allowed to walk their dog up downhill bike trails (duh).

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but since it pops up on the first page of google, it's worthwhile clarifying.
redrook

Munros:137   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   Donalds:8

Postby garyoppolis » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I've done a "roadside camp" a couple of times to get an early start.

If you only have your tent up in the dark (easy enough at this time of year) and pick a spot out of the sweep of headlights then you'll be pretty well invisible.

That, and even the busiest of busybodies probably isn't keen on confronting someone who's camping "wrong" in the black of night.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Whether it is technically legal or not. I think camping on the lower areas of Glen Nevis should be discouraged. If it became popular and "wild campers" thought it was acceptable to camp next to your car by the roadside it could have a bit of a negative affect. There are many options available to the landowner and the council to put a stop to it. They could block off the numerous parking areas or they could start charging £4 a pop to park or more :shock: . And eventually it could go the way of Loch Lomond. :shock:
There are plenty of places for camping out of site and low impact so I don't see the point of it anyway.
Glencoe has next to no camping now by the road which runs from the village up past the Clachaig and technically it probably is still legal to camp there but it was stamped out for good reasons mentioned already.

I suppose though if you were desperate and arrived late in the dark and left early. You would go unnoticed and not be causing any problem. :D
Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion