walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

When is enough... enough?

When is enough... enough?

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Wow... so I've just discovered what the Tumps are. I'd heard of them for a while but now I understand what they are.
For anyone that doesn't already know, Tumps are hills with a prominence of Thirty Feet and upwards.

So, some people will only walk/climb hills of 3000 ft and upwards. Some people are 'moving on' to the Corbetts. This site includes the list of the "Marilyns" but then you've got "Humps" (One hundred feet prominence and upwards).

I had drawn a line with Marilyns but then I discovered that the Humps can be as good as the Marilyns, so I'm vaguely going through that list, on top of all the others I haven't completed and may never will.

This leads us to the Tumps. Now, I already find it a challenge getting parked for many of the Marilyns and Humps but the mind boggles at the difficulty this may pose for Tumps. I'm also wondering how many I've climbed without even realizing it. Anyway, do I really want to park outside someone's farm and climb 30 feet up a cow-trodden slope?

What about you? It seems apparent that there are a few people out there who seem to be bagging Tumps aswell. I'm undecided if I'll bother. The OCD side of me will probably give in to it but I don't see the point as it's more fuel down the tubes and I doubt it's something I'll ever achieve in one lifetime. Let alone the ones on the islands etc...
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Re: When is enough... enough?

Postby Ibex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:44 pm

If I started bagging Tumps, i'd go see a psychologist! Or a doctor!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Sgurr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:59 pm

I think that the problem is that you run out of first ascents of hills that you can do as an easy day-trip from home. As the days get shorter (or as you get older) these become fewer and fewer, At one point I wasn't bagging Munros, I was just an also bagger to my husband's bagger, until son came and swept across Scotland with a bivvy bag one winter and asked how many I had done AND HE HAD DONE MORE. But I wasn't bagging Corbetts, Corbetts were despicable. Then I discovered that it took more effort to do a Corbett round than a Munro round and it became respectable in my eyes (plus many Corbetts were nearer home, and some were simply superb), but adding a Graham to a Corbett seemed ridiculous, I was never going to finish the Grahams....but we had got to the stage when many were the nearest thing for a day trip, so somehow we started bagging them..........Now my husband has done all the Marilyns we can do in a day trip, so we have started looking at Donalds. But I'm not bagging them, I'm bagging Marilyns. When we exhaust the day-trip Donalds, we may have collected enough to make finishing them look a possibility. But Humps and Tumps? I'm 74 already. Life's too short. What are Murdos?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:35 pm

I think I'll probably end up looking into the Tumps that are near to home, as Sgurr's mentioned. Like Sgurr's already said though, that's where it always starts :lol:

A Murdo is a Munro or Munro Top with at least 30 metres prominence. All Munros are Murdos but not all Munro Tops are Murdos.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Doing all the Tumps would be insane (and impossible without some serious rock-climbing - it includes a whole bunch of tricky sea stacks, like the Old Man of Hoy and the Great Stack of Handa). I suppose one might consider trying to do all the Tumps in a certain region, though. Too much like cabbage patch bagging for me!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby icemandan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Does a hill have to be in a list to be worth climbing?

If you drop the height and reascent thresholds, not only do the totals go through the roof but the ratio of worthwhile to not worthwhile shrinks to minute proportions.

Forget lists, by all means look at what's on your doorstep without the aid of a list, maybe (heresy) consider walks that don't involve summits at all.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby clivegrif » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Do these tumps have to be in Scotland to count?

If not, I've bagged two round here! ...and yes they were clay lumps covered in cow muck.....
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby tenohfive » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm going to be my usual controversial self and say...if people use it as an excuse to get out in the fresh air and enjoy the country we've got (before any more irreversible damage is done to it) then I'm happy to let them. Some people are goal orientated and some just use a tick sheet as a guide, but either way it's all good so far as I'm concerned. If some of those hills to be bagged aren't worth the effort to get out of the car I'll personally avoid them but I don't see the harm in others doing it.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby hailiamdigby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 pm

For me, the lists give me a reason to go out. I don't care if I'll complete them or not but they serve as an excellent guide as to where to head and what's out there.
I always try to climb a new hill because you don't know if it will be good or not, until you've done it. Today, I did 2 Humps north of Hill of Persie. I was already quite tired from the 4 Humps I did on Saturday and a full working-week but I pushed on anyway. I'm glad I did because I discovered an area that was so tranquil. It was nice just to be there.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Postby clivegrif » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 pm

RTC wrote:Clive. Tumps are anywhere in the British Isles. As I said earlier, many of them are fine hills, not just "clay lumps covered in cow muck."

Fear not - I was only joshing. I completely agree about almost any hill being the makings of a good day out.

I don't think the Malverns or the Cotswolds will make it onto any other lists (cue someone to tell me I'm wrong on that one too....), but they are fine walking areas for me and my little dog.

We actually have very small hills that are called tumps round here - like the wonderfully named Egg Tump near Redmarley.

...not sure I'll live long enough to get anywhere near 18,000 of them though.
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Captain Black » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm

hailiamdigby wrote:Wow... so I've just discovered what the Tumps are. I'd heard of them for a while but now I understand what they are.
For anyone that doesn't already know, Tumps are hills with a prominence of Thirty Feet and upwards

30 Metres and upwards. I shudder to think how many 10m (30ft) prominences there must be.

Problem is, as you drop the prominence criteria this far then virtually anything that looks like a top will be in the list.

Unless you're ticking them off in a structured way you probably are better off ignoring the list and just plotting a route on a map for your walk.
Captain Black

Postby basscadet » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Oh I thought the point of lists were to get you out to places you otherwise might not go.. Doesn't matter which 'list' you go for, as long as they are spread out over a large area which you would like to explore.. :D
My Scottish geography has improved no end since I took up this bagging molarkey.. Except in the SW, which I still find bloomin confusing (highlanders get dizzy if you take them too far south) so I get Dougie to meet me in Lochearnhead and show me where to go :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby hailiamdigby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Captain Black wrote:
30 Metres and upwards. I shudder to think how many 10m (30ft) prominences there must be.

lol, my bad :lol: :crazy:
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Munros, Munro tops, Corbetts and Grahams will be enough for me as far as list completing goes, although I wouldn't mind finishing off the English 2000ers as well if I ever had the chance. I've done quite a few lower Marilyns and I'll do many more, but there is too much travelling and not enough walking in my favourite bits of the country to contemplate doing them all (before you even get to the impossible ones).

I've been tempted to look at a list of Humps to see how many are local to me, but I'm trying to resist. I think I'll settle for looking for prominent/interesting summits on the map and not getting any further list OCD. I've got lots of multi-day routes in mind too, which have few or no summits along the way. I'd like to do more of those in the future.

You can keep your Tumps :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby clivegrif » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:10 pm

RTC wrote:Sorry if I came across as argumentative, Clive. Worcestershire Beacon is a Marilyn. I've always wanted to do the Malverns. They look really nice hills.

Don't you worry, no offence taken whatsoever. :D

Worcestershire Beacon is a Marilyn? Brilliant! At least I can claim to have climbed at least one (literally hundreds of times....). A there and back walk along the entire length of the Malverns is a decent walk of 18 miles, and I would recommend it.
clivegrif
Rambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion