walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Lyon

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Driftwood » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Scotjamie wrote:However, and hypothetically, interested in any knowledgeable opinion on the legality of climbing (carefully) over a locked gate to continue up a track.


The Scottish Outdoor Access Code says,
"Locked gates should be reported to the local Access Officer, with a copy sent to the MCofS A&C Officer, as should difficult to cross barriers (especially barbed wire or electric fences) with no crossing points. In cases where you cannot find a crossing point nearby, then you do have the right to climb over the barrier, although this should be avoided if possible. This should be done in a least damaging way – gates at the hinge end, fences at strainer posts and dykes at the most solid point such as using a through stone."

Taken from MCofS at http://www.mcofs.org.uk/access-law-and-soac.asp
User avatar
Driftwood
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 308
Munros:200   Corbetts:43
Grahams:19   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:19   
Joined: Jun 9, 2011

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 am

Many thanks DW
Have read the code....not very thoroughly!
....a climbing I will go...
User avatar
Scotjamie
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 1168
Munros:148   
Joined: Jul 27, 2009
Location: north berwick

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby islayhawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Aug 7, 2010

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Moriarty » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

islayhawk wrote:If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk


You'd lose that bet. Mr Riddell is very local and very involved.
Moriarty
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Dec 15, 2013

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby electricfly » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Moriarty wrote:
islayhawk wrote:If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk


You'd lose that bet. Mr Riddell is very local and very involved.


Aye, according to his signage, he's up there 365 days a year shooting at deer.
And he wonders where they've all gone? :roll:
User avatar
electricfly
 
Posts: 1657
Munros:282   Corbetts:29
Grahams:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Joined: Mar 19, 2012

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby brpro26 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 pm

If I was "The Riddeller" I'd be a member of Walkhighlands...I wonder if he is???? Who could it be.
User avatar
brpro26
 
Posts: 436
Munros:212   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Location: Glenrothes

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm surprised someone more knowledgeable than me hasn't already picked up on the hypocrisy of his 'wildlife desert' statements!

Surely hillwalkers share less of the blame for this situation than the policies of hunting estates i.e. maintaining large herds of deer and reducing the diversity of flora on the hills, maintaining large grouse moors suspiciously devoid of predatory birds etc. etc. Was it not also the case historically that some areas of native forest were felled to give predators less cover to hide in?*

Unless we are talking about fragile Capercaillie populations being disrupted by dogs and a constant flow of walkers a la Rothiemurchus/Abernethy then does he have any case here?


*I am aware that this is a very tenuous/possibly false argument but thought it was relevant, think I read it in 'Scottish Mountains before the Mountaineers' or some similar book discussing the Victorian hunting era.
User avatar
IanEzzi
 
Posts: 337
Munros:172   Corbetts:19
Grahams:8   Donalds:2
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Moriarty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 am

The media does an exceptionally poor job at quizzing Sporting interests with regard to their inconsistent statements.

Attempts at deer number control by JMT/NTS are met with obedient articles about the threat to the existence of the iconic red deer (despite the herd being hugely increased over the last few decades).

Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.

It's been traditional for land managers to blame walkers/hen harriers/golden eagles/pine martens/etc for all their woes and then to try to exterminate them from their land.

It's a shame that the media simply lap up their self-serving rhetoric. One of the reasons to consider joining organisations such as RSPB, JMT, NTS or MCoS that can add some evidence-based balance.
Moriarty
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Dec 15, 2013

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:21 am

Moriarty wrote:Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.


It's only going to get worse. Wild pigs have been released in large numbers in the west highlands, they are spreading quickly and in a few years they will be endemic to the whole of Scotland. As an official pest species, there is no closed season, land owners can "manage" the wild pigs by letting out shooting all year round.... :shock:
http://www.glen-dessary.com//wildboar.html
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7208
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.


It's only going to get worse. Wild pigs have been released in large numbers in the west highlands, they are spreading quickly and in a few years they will be endemic to the whole of Scotland. As an official pest species, there is no closed season, land owners can "manage" the wild pigs by letting out shooting all year round.... :shock:
http://www.glen-dessary.com//wildboar.html


Well, this particular lot claims that they shoot them from a hide, which can hardly be portable, and therefore walkers will know where it is (eventually)& can walk round it .I suspect they put out food...reminiscent of Ceaucescu's hunting habits. I notice there is not a single mention on that website about how much anything costs. I suppose that if you have to ask, you can't afford it. They also belong to the school of thought that CONQUERS rather than walks up or bags a mountain.
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4284
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Sgurr wrote:they shoot them from a hide, which can hardly be portable


Au contraire, mon ami.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pop-up-hide

Sgurr wrote:I suspect they put out food...reminiscent of Ceaucescu's hunting habits


That's just how hunting for wild pigs, and many other animals, is done. Mass-murdering scumbag dictator or humble peasant.

The fact is there can now be legitimate hunting, and therefore closing-off of large areas, all year round.
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7208
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Blimey. Bit draughty. And where's the bar?
Image
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4284
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Poetessa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Ann65 wrote:Is it the same Mr Riddle from thirty years ago?

Second question: Has he already changed his name to Voldemort? :lol:
Poetessa
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 63
Munros:2   
Sub 2000:2   
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
Location: Germany & Switzerland

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Poetessa wrote:
Ann65 wrote:Is it the same Mr Riddle from thirty years ago?

Second question: Has he already changed his name to Voldemort? :lol:


very droll :think:
User avatar
LeithySuburbs
Ambler
 
Posts: 1944
Munros:259   Corbetts:53
Grahams:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13
Joined: Feb 19, 2009
Location: Inverness

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Johnmacdad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I will be following the wh posted track for Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carn Mairg & Creag Mho this Sunday 22nd. If the gate is locked I will climb it , If threatened I will laugh and I will have a good day out in the Snowy Hills.
Johnmacdad
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 21
Munros:206   
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Joined: Apr 19, 2012
Location: Livingston

PreviousNext



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests