walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Lyon

Re: Glen Lyon

Postby Driftwood » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Scotjamie wrote:However, and hypothetically, interested in any knowledgeable opinion on the legality of climbing (carefully) over a locked gate to continue up a track.

The Scottish Outdoor Access Code says,
"Locked gates should be reported to the local Access Officer, with a copy sent to the MCofS A&C Officer, as should difficult to cross barriers (especially barbed wire or electric fences) with no crossing points. In cases where you cannot find a crossing point nearby, then you do have the right to climb over the barrier, although this should be avoided if possible. This should be done in a least damaging way – gates at the hinge end, fences at strainer posts and dykes at the most solid point such as using a through stone."

Taken from MCofS at http://www.mcofs.org.uk/access-law-and-soac.asp
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 am

Many thanks DW
Have read the code....not very thoroughly!
....a climbing I will go...
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby islayhawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Postby Moriarty » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

islayhawk wrote:If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk

You'd lose that bet. Mr Riddell is very local and very involved.
Moriarty

Postby electricfly » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Moriarty wrote:
islayhawk wrote:If the prat who owns the estate gets his way then it will only encourage other LandOwners to use the same excuse for stopping access to their land. I would bet that the owner is another absentee land owner.

islayhawk

You'd lose that bet. Mr Riddell is very local and very involved.

Aye, according to his signage, he's up there 365 days a year shooting at deer.
And he wonders where they've all gone? :roll:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby brpro26 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 pm

If I was "The Riddeller" I'd be a member of Walkhighlands...I wonder if he is???? Who could it be.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm surprised someone more knowledgeable than me hasn't already picked up on the hypocrisy of his 'wildlife desert' statements!

Surely hillwalkers share less of the blame for this situation than the policies of hunting estates i.e. maintaining large herds of deer and reducing the diversity of flora on the hills, maintaining large grouse moors suspiciously devoid of predatory birds etc. etc. Was it not also the case historically that some areas of native forest were felled to give predators less cover to hide in?*

Unless we are talking about fragile Capercaillie populations being disrupted by dogs and a constant flow of walkers a la Rothiemurchus/Abernethy then does he have any case here?

*I am aware that this is a very tenuous/possibly false argument but thought it was relevant, think I read it in 'Scottish Mountains before the Mountaineers' or some similar book discussing the Victorian hunting era.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Moriarty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 am

The media does an exceptionally poor job at quizzing Sporting interests with regard to their inconsistent statements.

Attempts at deer number control by JMT/NTS are met with obedient articles about the threat to the existence of the iconic red deer (despite the herd being hugely increased over the last few decades).

Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.

It's been traditional for land managers to blame walkers/hen harriers/golden eagles/pine martens/etc for all their woes and then to try to exterminate them from their land.

It's a shame that the media simply lap up their self-serving rhetoric. One of the reasons to consider joining organisations such as RSPB, JMT, NTS or MCoS that can add some evidence-based balance.
Moriarty

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:21 am

Moriarty wrote:Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.

It's only going to get worse. Wild pigs have been released in large numbers in the west highlands, they are spreading quickly and in a few years they will be endemic to the whole of Scotland. As an official pest species, there is no closed season, land owners can "manage" the wild pigs by letting out shooting all year round.... :shock:
http://www.glen-dessary.com//wildboar.html
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Owners like Riddell came claim to have tiny surviving herds that are so large they need 200 days shooting per year.

It's only going to get worse. Wild pigs have been released in large numbers in the west highlands, they are spreading quickly and in a few years they will be endemic to the whole of Scotland. As an official pest species, there is no closed season, land owners can "manage" the wild pigs by letting out shooting all year round.... :shock:
http://www.glen-dessary.com//wildboar.html

Well, this particular lot claims that they shoot them from a hide, which can hardly be portable, and therefore walkers will know where it is (eventually)& can walk round it .I suspect they put out food...reminiscent of Ceaucescu's hunting habits. I notice there is not a single mention on that website about how much anything costs. I suppose that if you have to ask, you can't afford it. They also belong to the school of thought that CONQUERS rather than walks up or bags a mountain.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Sgurr wrote:they shoot them from a hide, which can hardly be portable

Au contraire, mon ami.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pop-up-hide

Sgurr wrote:I suspect they put out food...reminiscent of Ceaucescu's hunting habits

That's just how hunting for wild pigs, and many other animals, is done. Mass-murdering scumbag dictator or humble peasant.

The fact is there can now be legitimate hunting, and therefore closing-off of large areas, all year round.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Blimey. Bit draughty. And where's the bar?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Poetessa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Ann65 wrote:Is it the same Mr Riddle from thirty years ago?

Second question: Has he already changed his name to Voldemort? :lol:
Poetessa
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Poetessa wrote:
Ann65 wrote:Is it the same Mr Riddle from thirty years ago?

Second question: Has he already changed his name to Voldemort? :lol:

very droll :think:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Johnmacdad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I will be following the wh posted track for Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carn Mairg & Creag Mho this Sunday 22nd. If the gate is locked I will climb it , If threatened I will laugh and I will have a good day out in the Snowy Hills.
Johnmacdad
Munro compleatist

Munros:237   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion