walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Wild camping

Wild camping

Postby Accez » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello everybody,

I and 3 other friends are going to complete the West-Highland Way in September 2014.
We are going to sleep in a hostel the first and last day (in Glasgow and Edinburgh) and we want to wild camp along the route.
I read about it and all the sites told me that wild camping is allowed.
I read also on this site that wild camping isn't allowed in the Loch Lomond area (because there is a national park there).

So, what are the rules of wild camping in Scotland and on the route of the West-Highland way?

Thanks!
Accez
Munro compleatist

Re: Wild camping

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:30 pm

It's only the eastern part of Loch Lomond that is forbidden (too much litter etc. letf). Map on this site

http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/east-loch-lomond-camping-byelaws/menu-id-611.html

Otherwise, you are OK, but just need to show consideration and NOT leave rubbish, camp too near houses etc.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Accez » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Because we really love nature (that's the reason we go to Scotland) we are not going to leave any rubish at all, we are not going to disturb any kind of human or natural things :)
So we are allowed to sleep on the bottom of the Ben Lomond?
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 am

Accez wrote:Because we really love nature (that's the reason we go to Scotland) we are not going to leave any rubish at all, we are not going to disturb any kind of human or natural things :)

Not at Rowardennan, no, but further north along the loch shore. Could be difficult to pitch up though, it's all forestry on a hillside. I remember pitching up 50m from the Inversnaid Hotel on a really nice patch of grass overlooking the Arrochar hills, if that helps.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby jmoran12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 pm

could also use rowchoish or doune byre bothy along the way . plenty of wild camping spots on the way . kingshouse hotel and inveroran hotel have good wild camp spots nearby.
jmoran12
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Accez wrote:Because we really love nature (that's the reason we go to Scotland) we are not going to leave any rubish at all, we are not going to disturb any kind of human or natural things :)

Thought you were taking the mick there and was about to post saying 'No, you'd drown!' until I noticed you said Ben Lomond.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby portmanlady » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am

we are doing the west highland way walk in june and hope to walk up ben lomand, where is the nearest campsite to ben lomand
portmanlady
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby basscadet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 am

When we walked a bit of the WHW last year and stayed at Cashel campsite.. OK so it isn't wild camping really, but it was very cheap if I remember rightly, and a bonny spot.. Otherwise, you should try and work it so you can walk through the restricted area in a day, I guess :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 am

The campsite at Sallochy is as near to wild camping as you will get. And it is the closest one to Ben Lomond. You need to book it online.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Accez » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:30 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:The campsite at Sallochy is as near to wild camping as you will get. And it is the closest one to Ben Lomond. You need to book it online.

But it isn't close enough I think. We want to walk as much as possible the first days and we start in Drymen.
So we have to sleep in Rowerdennan at the bottom of the Ben Lomond to climb the ben Lomond the second day.
Sallochy Bay is too far away.
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby dunirie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:12 pm

theres a youth hostel at the bottom of ben lomond why not use that?
:)
dunirie
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Accez » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 pm

dunirie wrote:theres a youth hostel at the bottom of ben lomond why not use that?

isn't that quite expensive?
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:20 am

Accez wrote:
dunirie wrote:theres a youth hostel at the bottom of ben lomond why not use that?

isn't that quite expensive?

If there hasn't been enough frost to kill off the midges then my guess is that by the time you get to Rowardennan you'll be more than happy to pay to stay at the YH

:lol:
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:37 am

Accez wrote:
bootsandpaddles wrote:The campsite at Sallochy is as near to wild camping as you will get. And it is the closest one to Ben Lomond. You need to book it online.

But it isn't close enough I think. We want to walk as much as possible the first days and we start in Drymen.
So we have to sleep in Rowerdennan at the bottom of the Ben Lomond to climb the ben Lomond the second day.
Sallochy Bay is too far away.

It is only 2.5 miles. Less than one hour's walk.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby magicdin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Walk to Rowardennan - walk up the Ben Lomond path until you are clear of the forest and outwith the restricted zone and wild camp observing the Scotland Outdoor Access Code - simples :wink:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion