walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Armadale to Kylerea Ferry

Armadale to Kylerea Ferry

Postby nerabus7932 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi folks, is it feasible to walk from Armadale to Kylerea ferry following the shore? I've seen a circular walk that goes about halfway... I'm a tubby old man so nothing too gung ho please! Cheers, Andrew
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Re: Armadale to Kylerea Ferry

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm

nerabus7932 wrote:Hi folks, is it feasible to walk from Armadale to Kylerea ferry following the shore? I've seen a circular walk that goes about halfway... I'm a tubby old man so nothing too gung ho please! Cheers, Andrew

Not following the shore, it is too rocky, cliffy and deathy, and a long way too. See Google Maps on Satellite mode; https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=search&ie=UTF-8&ei=9nTSUqT9DIWUhQf-hIBY&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

A man disappeared between Kyle Rhea and Kinloch Lodge years ago; if you find his bones please inform the authorities...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby nerabus7932 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Caberfeigh, that's what I thought. I'll have to reconsider. What I'm thinking about is to get the ferry from Mallaig to Skye, go across the wee ferry at Kylerhea, then walk back down to Mallaig. Surprising dearth of information about walking up there, but I haven't gone into it in a great deal of detail. Cheers, Andrew
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:28 pm

You could always cling to tidal debris and float through. A tide-table would be handy, also a diving suit might stave off hypothermia for a while. Would you consider cycling? Only to be attempted in good weather, as with pretty much anything in Skye/Lochalsh.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby nerabus7932 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Floating through might be quite fun but I have a vague memory that the current runs the other way, so you would end up on Eigg... Cycling would be a very good idea but my teenage daughter doesn't like cycling. Last time I came over Kylerea Ferry on a bicycle was in 1968. I camped somewhere up the glen (on the Skye side) on a steep slope. It poured with rain during the night and I woke up with a small stream running through the tent and had to spend the next two days squatting in a derelict croft house somewhere outside Breakish drying everything out. Subsequently I set fire to my jeans cooking sausages in my tent on Loch Ness side, and shortly afterwards I was arrested in Fort William - the police were looking for 'a dishevelled character on a racing bike' (which I was) who had robbed a house and half-killed the occupant (it wasn't me!) in Dingwall. I had no ID and would probably still be banged up there but fortunately the Police station Secretary had been at Oban High School with me and knew who I was. So cycling in the Highlands was, at least in those days, fraught with difficulty. I remember you had to carry loads of food, like an expedition, because there was nowhere to buy anything to eat. And of course, unless you were rich, your bike had only 1 gear. Happy trails! Andrew.
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Good story!

There is a path from Kinloch to Kylerhea: http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/pathdetails.php?path=321
I can't really see a sensible route from Armadale to Kinloch without going on the roads: taking the bus would be an option.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby nerabus7932 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks jmarkb, that sounds exactly what we're looking for! The bus to Kinloch would be cool. Cheers, Andrew
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Postby nerabus7932 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Well, we did it! Will post report in due course.
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 am

nerabus7932 wrote:Well, we did it! Will post report in due course.

Hooray! How long did you have to spend on Eigg after being washed up with the tidal debris?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Re: Armadale to Kylerea Ferry - Eigg all over our faces

Postby nerabus7932 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Sadly we just walked following the old drover's road detailed on Heritage Trails. It's a great route with superb views and it would be nice if it was preserved while it's still traceable. A bit of drainage would do it for the time being. Though wellies are advisable a raft is not yet necessary. I don't greatly wish to visit Eigg though my stepfather's dad was a shepherd there and I used to go out with a girl who was the cook on Eigg for a while... Not enough to drift there on a raft, at least. Shepherding on Eigg was complicated by the sheep diving off the Sguirr whenever anyone tried to gather them.
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Postby danielskye » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi there...
Do you think the old drovers path would be rideable on a mountain bike?
danielskye

Munros:29   

Postby gary.nimmo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm

If you are the famous Danny from Skye then it will surely be a walk in the park? :D
gary.nimmo

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Armadale to Kylerea Ferry Mountain bikeable?

Postby nerabus7932 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Ages since I've been on here so apologies to Danielskye for not responding. I think it would be quite difficult to bike it, lots of pushing called for! The path, such as it is, is terribly wet and there is a lot of shrubbery in places. Still, everything is possible so don't let me discourage you; just allow plenty of time! Best wishes!
nerabus7932
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion