walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Reaaaally easy Wainwrights

Reaaaally easy Wainwrights

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 am

I've got a trip planned to the Lake District in the not too distant future but one of the people I'm going away with isn't the most athletic - middle aged, unfit and has had a hip replacement. So unfortunately walking isn't going to be high on the list of priorities. But I'm determined to drag them up at least one or two of the easier Wainwrights - preferably ones I haven't already done, so I can tick them off and make the most of the trip. I'm trying to work out which ones might be practical.

I'm basically looking for somewhere with good clear paths, gradient that isn't too severe and a route that isn't too long - max 45 minutes from car to top ideally. Something similar to Latrigg really.

So far one that springs to mind is Hallin Fell - given how little ascent there is and distance it looks promising on paper. Likewise Walla Crag. But I don't know if conditions on the ground are as good as they look on the map.

How do those sound, and where else should I consider? I really should stress that they need to be very easy paths.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Re: Reaaaally easy Wainwrights

Postby colgregg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Hallin Fell is fine. There is a well blazoned path straight up and down, Ullswater from the top looks good. How about High Rigg, too. Jk has done a TR on this but I'm sure there will be shorter versions.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/blogs/johnkaysleftleg
Of course there is always Catbells which is the classic lakes walk for the family.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Loughrigg Fell? Binsey?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby colgregg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

jmarkb wrote:Loughrigg Fell? Binsey?

Yeah Binsey a good one. Once again a well blazened track and great all round views.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby Bonzo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Be careful on Hallin Fell - the slippiest grass I've ever had the displeasure of. I think one slide was nearly 20m in length :D
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby simon-b » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Little Mell Fell from The Hause is probably the easiest after Latrigg from Gale Road, but watch out for rabbit holes.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Knott Rigg from Newlands Hause is pretty straightforward,with the added bonus of continuing along the ridge to Ard Crags if you so wish. Some great views off the ridge. If you fancy an outlying fell then Orrest Head at Windermere is as easy as they come. Fantastic views of the Langdales from the top & there are benchs for the less athletic in your group to 'regain their composure'. Have a great trip.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:12 pm

I've got about 204 more to do before I start on the outlying fells, but thanks for the tips.

Binsey sounds straightforward, that ones bookmarked.
High Rigg looks ideal, I'm just trying to work out the easiest route/parking etc. Anyone know if I'd get away with parking here? From there it looks like 5 minutes to the church, then on up an easy path to the top.
Loughrigg sounds like a nice easy one, provided I can park close enough.
I've done Little Mell Fell already and I'm not keen to return.
Catsbells sounds good but however you cut it there's 250m of ascent from playing around on the GPS planner - if the path up is a veritable motorway then it should make up for it though?
Knott Rig and Ard Crags are on my 'lazy day' list for when I'm next up that way with my better half, having driven past I'm really looking forward to them - they're in a cracking position.

Thanks for all the advice - I know it goes against the grain slightly to look at the easiest rather than the most satisfying fells and routes, but I've a choice of easy or not at all. And I want said person to enjoy it of course.
tenohfive

Postby prog99 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I've not done much in the lakes but Dale Head from the Honister pass? I don't remember any difficulties and the views are good.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Fellwanderer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:56 pm

tenohfive wrote:I've got about 204 more to do before I start on the outlying fells, but thanks for the tips.

Binsey sounds straightforward, that ones bookmarked.
High Rigg looks ideal, I'm just trying to work out the easiest route/parking etc. Anyone know if I'd get away with parking here? From there it looks like 5 minutes to the church, then on up an easy path to the top.

Why not park at the church itself? You can reach it (or could when I was last there) from Wanthwaite - NY315231.

I would say that the three easiest Wainwirghts are Latrigg, Binsey and High Rigg. Hallin Fell and Little Mell Fell are both incredibly short walks but probably too steep for the person you are considering.
Fellwanderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:163

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

I didn't realise you could - it looks like it's gated off from that end? I'll have to check it out - Streetview stops at the gate and shows it closed, but with a sign for parking:
http://goo.gl/maps/rNU5x

Can you just open it? I'll fire off an email to the Youth Centre there to find out if need be.

Dales Head is 400m of ascent but I'll keep it in mind (probably with Hindscarth) for myself.
tenohfive

Postby Fellwanderer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm

tenohfive wrote:I didn't realise you could - it looks like it's gated off from that end? I'll have to check it out - Streetview stops at the gate and shows it closed, but with a sign for parking:
http://goo.gl/maps/rNU5x

Can you just open it? I'll fire off an email to the Youth Centre there to find out if need be.

I've certainly driven up there in the past but it must be at least ten years since I went up that way.

Dales Head is 400m of ascent but I'll keep it in mind (probably with Hindscarth) for myself.

Dale Head is the easiest Wainwright 2000 footer but might be a bit much for your companion. If it turns out that I'm wrong, then you might have time for both Hindscarth and Robinson as they're very easy from Dale Head.
Fellwanderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:163

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I could be wrong but isn't the gate after the youth hostel? High Rigg is still fairly steep (but very short) from there but to my knowledge just about all wainwrights will be steep at some point, perhaps Grike in the far west is very gradual but has a couple of stiles that the less mobile might find difficult.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby GMurphy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:43 pm

How about Souther Fell near Mungrisdale.
GMurphy
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:17   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:11 am

tenohfive wrote:Dales Head is 400m of ascent but I'll keep it in mind (probably with Hindscarth) for myself.

I would strongly recommend combining Dale Head either with Robinson and Hindscarth or as part of a longer Newlands round from Little Town in the Newlands Valley if your doing them by yourself. The ridge walks for Robinson and Hindscarth in particular from the north are wonderful. Another relatively short, not steep wainwright is Black Fell from Tarn Howes.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion