walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where did I read this?? Help!

Where did I read this?? Help!

Postby Mendonca » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi

Somewhere recently I was reading about a Munro that has it's true summit some distance from where it's marked on top of the mountain. I read it and thought "I don't need to remember that, I'll stumble across this literature again before I climb this Munro".

I've scanned all documentation I have concerning Munros and can not see it. Does anyone know which book/article covers this please? I'm keen to find out as Murphy's law suggests it'll be a Munro that's on this Spring's hit list.

Cheers in advance.
Mendonca
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:125   

Re: Where did I read this?? Help!

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Are you thinking of Beinn a' Chroin? See www.hmarston.co.uk/gps/munro_hunt.htm and http://www.hills-database.co.uk/database_notes.html#beinn_a_chroin

The most recent OS mapping does have the true summit correctly marked as the West Top at NN387185, and it appears to have finally acquired a cairn.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Beinn a' Chroin is indeed about the worst offender. The Munro is the 942m top as jmarkb says.

Couple others to watch out for;

The Saddle has two twin tops, I think the 'Munro' summit listed is the back one, whereas on some surveys the front one (closer to Forcan Ridge) is a metre higher on some maps - but isn't the Munro summit it seems.

A' Bhuidheanach Bheag has sprouted a spot height, just to the west, identical in altitude to the main 936?m summit. I only found this in the latest 1:50,000 map. Nobody goes to this summit probably for that reason, who knows maybe it'll have it's own path soon, too.... o.0

Carn Ghluasaid has two cairns quite close by. Negligible really as to which one is the top.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby prog99 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Not a munro but the summit of Sgurr nan Eugallt (corbett) is not the trig point! The true summit is about 600m to the NW.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Meatball » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Ben vorlich?
Slioch?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Beinn Dorain has a huge cairn which is not the true top, something that is easily noticed in clear weather but has taken in some folk in the mist., but the summit is where it is marked on the map. Wait until you start Marilyn bagging.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:04 pm

Other potential misses:
Carn nan Gabhar (Beinn a 'Ghlo) - there is a cairn on an outcrop, then the trig point and then finally the true summit.
Beinn Achaladair: summit is the smaller cairn.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I think A' bhuidheach bheag 's tops both look higher than the one you happen to be standing on at the time. Beinn a chroin is weird to me as the east top seems to be higher no matter where you stand.

I got some very black looks, and language, whilst guiding some pals through wind and gales on beinn a ghlo walking past the trig telling them we still weren't there yet.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Several Corbetts I could add to the list:
Beinn Mheadhonach in Glen Tilt, where the true top is about 400m N past the large "summit" cairn. It is marked only by a tiny pile of stones.

I heard that the summit of Carn Liath (Corbett in the Cairngorms) has recently been moved 900m NW to the twin top (which has no cairn as far as I can recall).

Also Meall a'Ghiubhais in Torridon, two tops of very similar height about half a km apart, both have large cairns, the southern one is the true summit.

One Munro springs to mind: Moruisg has two summit cairns, 300m apart, on opposite ends of the ridge. But as most folks traverse Moruisg and go to the neighbour Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, they will walk past both cairns anyway.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Mendonca » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:17 pm

99% sure it was the description of Beinn a Chroin as detailed in McNeish's "The Munros" book.

I found this info as a direct result of the suggestions you made, and I've noted some other tricky ones to watch out for in future. Also, Murphy's law would have come into play, as Beinn a Chroin is on the Crianlarich route in May.

So thank you all.
Mendonca
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:125   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion