walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Central Gully--Creag an Dubh Loch

Central Gully--Creag an Dubh Loch

Postby man in black » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Looking for advice here. Im planning a camping trip with my 14 yr old daughter to Loch Muick in May taking in a few munros. I have done all munros in this area but have never been down to Dubh Loch itself. The plan was to do Cairn Bannoch and Broad cairn then camp over night at Loch Muick but I was looking at using Central Gully as a short way down to the loch rather than down the "streak". Have any of you guys got any experience/advice of this route. If the weather is claggy then I'll still to the "streak"
man in black
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   

Re: Central Gully--Creag an Dubh Loch

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Here's the UKC logbook entry:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=3000

Easy winter line could potentially mean loose and nasty in the summer. I don't have any personal experience though. May be worth asking on UkClimbing - likely to be more experience of it there.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby allan williams » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 am

may still be some snow in the gully, may be quite nasty if there is.
allan williams
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   Corbetts:30
Fionas:18   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:48   
Islands:14

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 am

Went up it in summer once and it wasn't any bother - although some of the steeper steps will be more awkward in descent, and any looser blocks that I didn't really notice in ascent will be more problematic for descent too.
However, as the point was made above, if there's still snow there, that changes things completely - and you may well not be able to see the snow from the top.
Given the amount of snow higher up this winter it's not at all unlikely that there will still be snow there in May, so before you make any decisions I think you would be better to check and see if anyone knows the state of it closer to the time of your trip.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby man in black » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanx for the info guys. With all the negative reports of rock falls on this route I think it sensible to leave it for a season or two until the loose debris settles. Also as mentioned there could be pockets of unstable snow in there too. So big body swerve........... :thumbup:
man in black
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion