walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Lairig Ghru recently?

Lairig Ghru recently?

Postby tjchino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi there,

I was thinking of walking the Lairig Ghru from Glenmore to Linn of Dee this weekend, but I'm wondering how much snow I would be having to tangle with.

Anyone been up there recently?

Thanks.
tjchino
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Re: Lairig Ghru recently?

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Not been into the Lairig Ghru recently......was on Cairngorm today where large amounts of snow was being stripped form higher up and dumped into the Northern Corries. Very little snow below the car park level 650 mtrs. HIghest point in the Lairig is around 800 mtrs.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi gaffer, I was up that way on Saturday and there was a fair amount of snow about. Also very cold. Good luck!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby JanD » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 pm

It was very very windy yesterday up that way, Aviemore side at least. Glorious views though :D
JanD
Mountaineer

Postby tjchino » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I've about made up my mind to head to lower elevations - the Trossachs.

JanD, for future reference, did you run into much snow?
tjchino
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   

Postby nikcster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi tjchino, did you do it in the end? I was thinking of heading that way next week from Blair Atholl to Aviemore or vice versa. I was thinking it might be really boggy. Also, anyone know what temperature range to expect at night?
Cheers,
Nick.
nikcster

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby JanD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:12 pm

tjchino wrote:Thanks all for the replies. I've about made up my mind to head to lower elevations - the Trossachs.

JanD, for future reference, did you run into much snow?

A little snow high up, around the 700m mark ish. But nothing to worry about, mainly in between the tussocks and in the crevices, not on the tracks so much. I had a look at the Lairig and then did one of the corbetts.
JanD
Mountaineer

Postby stanrob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 am

I'm planning on going through next weekend, I'd be interested in getting an eyewitness account of accumulated snow in upper reaches of the Lairig Ghru too ... so please keep the reports coming!
stanrob
Scrambler

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I wandered from linn of dee up to corrour bothy and then down to bynack lodge and back to linn of dee yesterday/today, no snow anywhere at that level, I cant say for any further into the lairig though, as far as I could see there was no sigh of any (tbh, I couldn't see very far, low cloud day)

Its very very wet, the paths resemble burns in places with all the melt water, especially in Glen Dee, a good wander without seeing another soul after derry lodge until this morning along the bynack.

A few highlights, a first for me was about a dozen plus capercaillie roosting in trees last night, then they were all in a clearing this morning, a hind and last years calf walking up the path towards me without a care in the world, about 50m away before they clicked, then 4 stags came down to the river as I was having a brew opposite
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:58 pm

bydand_loon wrote:I wandered from linn of dee up to corrour bothy and then down to bynack lodge and back to linn of dee yesterday/today, no snow anywhere at that level, I cant say for any further into the lairig though, as far as I could see there was no sigh of any (tbh, I couldn't see very far, low cloud day)

Its very very wet, the paths resemble burns in places with all the melt water, especially in Glen Dee, a good wander without seeing another soul after derry lodge until this morning along the bynack.

A few highlights, a first for me was about a dozen plus capercaillie roosting in trees last night, then they were all in a clearing this morning, a hind and last years calf walking up the path towards me without a care in the world, about 50m away before they clicked, then 4 stags came down to the river as I was having a brew opposite

Couple of pics from yesterday, bothy on the left

bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby stanrob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Good report thanks ... I think I'll fit my gaiters! Lucky man seeing the Capercaillie, where was that, I'll look out for them!
stanrob
Scrambler

Postby stanrob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:43 pm

OK, for anyone who's still interested, went through on the 13th, pretty elemental stuff, blizzards and the like. Lairig Ghru path still had snow around (and, more worryingly, over) the Pools of Dee. Nothing too tricky ... but watch where you are putting your feet!

P1070074sm.jpg

P1070097sm.jpg
stanrob
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion