walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Travel companies for organising a WHW trek

Travel companies for organising a WHW trek

Postby andmillar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi there,

I was looking to do the WHW about Sept time (outwith peak holiday times!!) and was wondering if anyone has any good recommended, reputable travel companies who organise this including the stops (B&B's) and move your kit each day to your next days stop?

I know, I may be taking the easy way out but want to enjoy the experience although once completed may look to carry my kit (as I don't have any camping gear at this time!)

If anyone can recommend any pass on details of good companies who have been used previously it would be much appreciated plus rough costs also.

Thanks
andmillar
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Travel companies for organising a WHW trek

Postby weebirdie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 pm

We booked our own accomodation (very easy, mostly all done online) and used Travel-Lite to move our bags - they were brilliant! There was one incident where one of our bags wasn't dropped at Bridge of Orchy but by the time we'd noticed it was missing (i.e. when we turned up), they had already tried to phone me (but couldn't get through as no reception) so phoned the hotel and let them know they'd drop it off on the way back from Fort William, and it was there by 5pm. I'd highly recommend them!

They will drop at places even if you're not staying at the place - we had ours dropped at Bridge of Orchy Hotel even though we weren't staying there, we wild camped that night down at the bridge. They will also drop at Inversnaid, where some of the companies prefer not to go, but if you leave out Inversnaid either by doing Rowardennan to Inverarnan in a day (I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest) or by packing your day bag so you can cope without your big pack overnight they will give you a discount.

If you need ideas for accomodation, we did:
Drymen Camping (we didn't book, we just rocked up there - £5 per camper per night)

Millarochy Bay Campsite (expensive, but the people that run it are absolutely lovely and the facilities are great)

Inversnaid Bunkhouse (amazing place! We had our bags dropped there but were going to wild camp at the boathouse, not realising that the Bunkhouse is half a mile up a rather steep hill! We managed to get a last minute booking and I'm very glad we did! I think it was £22 each for a twin room. People are just lovely, and if you give them a call from the Hotel they'd drive down and pick you up). They do great food, and have a brilliant drying room.

Beinglas Campsite - we had a wee cabin for £35.00, very comfortable, really nice site.

Tyndrum By The Way - we were supposed to camp but splashed out on a lovely chalet style cabin that was £38.00 well spent. Another place with great facilities including a good drying room.

We then wild camped at Bridge of Orchy in a gale. The hotel is VERY expensive to stay in, but the food is good. There is a small bunkhouse at the station, but you'd need to book in advance I imagine; or you could try the Inveroran Hotel instead which is better priced.

Kingshouse - We had just struggled through torrential rain and gales through Rannoch Moor and were soaked. We did splash out (no pun intended) on what I considered to be a rather overpriced room at the Kingshouse rather than the planned wild camp. The staff are a delight, but their drying room was woeful and there was no hot water in the afternoon, which was a shame because it's a lovely, cosy place that's very welcoming. There are cabins at the new Glencoe place about a km away that they were sending people to because they were fully booked.

Kinlochleven - A wee 'hobbit house' at Blackwater, just opposite the Power Station (not as revolting as it sounds!), £35 a night I believe; very cosy but no storage space - we had to get what we needed from our big packs and leave them in the drying room because there was no room in the cabin. Facilities were very good though. I hear the Tailrace Inn and the Macdonald Hotel are also good choices.

Fort William - The Travel Lodge. It's RIGHT BY THE END! I think our room was £42.00 and had all the lovely normal hotel sort of services, and lovely staff. A cab down to the Nevis Centre behind the station to get your big packs (Travel Lodge won't accept drop-offs) cost us £5.50 return - there was no way I was going to walk! :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps!
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby weebirdie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Sorry! Re-read your post and noticed the 'B&B's' thing, and I've wittered on about camping! Don't dismiss the cabins and chalets, though, they are really cosy and most of them can provide bedding for a small additional cost. People that I met on the way recommended Anchorage Cottage (I think it's called) near Sallochy Bay as an alternative to the Rowardennen Hotel; and Stance Cottage at Bridge of Orchy, but that lady only has two rooms so you'll need to get in touch pronto!

I avoided the pre-packaged 'we'll book your accomodation' bundles because they were staying at places that were out of budget, like the Rowardennan Hotel and the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. It's nice to have a wee bit of luxury, I guess, but I also really liked making our own plans and having a good mix of different types of experiences, from camping to cabins to proper hotel rooms.
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Postby andmillar » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply, I had looked at doing the hostels etc but having never stayed in them, I don't know what to expect!

Excuse my ignorance, but I take it you have to bring/carry your own sleeping bag etc and wasn't really wanting to bring a lot of food, just really enough for during the day.

Do these places provide breakfast/evening meal or is there always places nearby which can provide this?

I have had nothing but good recommendations about the Travel Lite company and may look at them to drop off my gear.

Thanks again.
andmillar
Mountaineer

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

[quote="andmillar"]Thanks for the reply, I had looked at doing the hostels etc but having never stayed in them, I don't know what to expect!

Excuse my ignorance, but I take it you have to bring/carry your own sleeping bag etc and wasn't really wanting to bring a lot of food, just really enough for during the day.

Do these places provide breakfast/evening meal or is there always places nearby which can provide this?

Hostels usually provide duvets these days but you would have to check it with them. At a lot of overnight stops along the WHW (Drymen, Inverarnan, Tyndrum, Kinlochleven) food is readily available. You might struggle at Rowardennan, Bridge of Orchy and the Kingshouse unless you wanted to splash out and eat in the hotels. Sometimes hostels do provide breakfast: again you would have to check it with the hostel concerned.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby weebirdie » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 pm

When we were booking huts / wigwam type places they all offered bedding. We didn't need it, but Beinglas had left clean sleeping bags and pillows there just in case.

Bunkhouses / Hostels - think of being back in Uni Halls of Residence. Small rooms, no frills, shared toilets and showers. They're not vast dorms like something out of Oliver Twist, you can get private rooms but you'll need to book fast. I will absolutely totally recommend the Inversnaid Bunkhouse again - such lovely guys and I felt very welcomed and looked after there.
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Postby tarnold » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi

I did the Northern half of the WHW (Crianlarich to Fort William) 3 years ago with a party of 8.

We used Easyways to arrange the B&B stops (and they also arrange the luggage transfer with Travel-Lite if you want this.

Can't recommend them highly enough; their fees are very fair and they negotiate reduced prices with B&Bs. They were extremely helpful throughout.

Tim
tarnold
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:2

Postby andmillar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks all for your replies.

I will have a look at both and get quotes. Hostels/bunk houses etc sound fine and also the cheaper option!
Thanks again.

Andy
andmillar
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion