walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Trotternish Ridge / wild camping

Trotternish Ridge / wild camping

Postby Bennte » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi,

We want to do the Trotternish Ridge walk mid May, and take it nice & slow, so oread it out over 3 days. We're two people, carrying a small 2-person tent and if possible would like to do some wild camping near the Old Man of Storr if we find a somewhat secluded spot. (I'd like to try some night-time photography of the Storr, and watch it very early morning during sunrise... must be a magical feeling).

Question is: is it possible to do wild tent camping there – or are main attractions like the Storr excluded from the otherwise liberal "free camping" rules in Scotland?
Bennte
Hill Bagger

Re: Trotternish Ridge / wild camping

Postby stanrob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm

There is a sign before you get to the Old Man saying 'You are advised not to go beyond this point' (not that anyone takes any notice) but I guess that means camping is discouraged too.

Not to put a damper on anything but I tried to backpack the ridge twenty five years ago and had to abandon it. Not much of a path and constant rises and falls in elevation ... really hard work, especially in bad weather!
stanrob
Scrambler

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Can't see an issue. check out Foggieclimber's report of the same:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19783
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby LDPWalker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Bennte

I walked the ridge last year, my report is at:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34844

Not sure of the area around the Storr itself, but there are plenty ot flat areas up on the ridge and down in the bealachs between the many ups and downs.

I descended from Belach Beag (GR 493521), down the steep stream, but you could easily go up that route and there are plenty of good places for a tent on the bealach. You are also well placed to get round to the Storr itself from there.
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion