walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Does Scotland let itself down ?

Re: Does Scotland let itself down ?

Postby IamAJMiller » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:01 pm

With regards to coffee shops in Braemar, Taste at the Linn of Dee end of town is excellent. Good coffee, cakes and service. Looks slightly dated from the outside but inside is excellent! I promise I don't work for them!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby RocksRock » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:51 pm

I second the praise for Taste in Braemar.......v. nice and welcoming too and I'm always alone and atill welcome.
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby bydand_loon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:31 pm

The new place opened in braemar on thursday, part of the mountain shop, first impressions are very good, very nice and airy inside, decent menu, two balconies (street view, river view) and cheaper than the m&s cafe too
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby RiverSong » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:19 pm

I don't know the name of the Braemar coffee shop that served me rubbish food and drink but it's at the Linn of Dee end of the village. It's not the one attached to the art and craft shop.

I've since had a meal in the Braemar Lodge Hotel and it was excellent - very good food and served by smiling friendly staff. I'm back in Braemar in August so I'll be calling in there again. I didn't know there was a coffee shop at the Mar Lodge but I will check it out when I'm there. The NTS places always offer good food at reasonable prices and served in a clean environment, the one in Glencoe is a delight to visit. The coffee shop in Crathes Castle is also excellent.

If someone serves me rubbish food and drink, or if the staff couldn't care less, I NEVER go back there, no matter what other people think. that's what I mean about Scotland shooting itself in the foot, lots of places just don't care about offering good service or ensuring their customers have a pleasant experience. Maybe that's why so many of these small businesses shut down.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Mantog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Yeah we stayed at the Braemar Lodge last year, really enjoyed it and the food is absolutely superb, cracking selection of whisky as well.
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby andyfitz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:41 pm

I stayed in a place near Little Loch Broom at the weekend. It was hellish. The sleeping accommodation was cramped and covered in dug hair. The wine was served in a plastic cup and it was pretty cold. I won't even mention the toilet facilities. It was my own van I was in but it was a poor reflection on Scotland - still better than the Inchnadamph Hotel though!
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm

I was in Tayvallich this week. The coffee shop advertises light lunches. It was closed between 1pm and 2pm :crazy:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby CharlesT » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:I was in Tayvallich this week. The coffee shop advertises light lunches. It was closed between 1pm and 2pm :crazy:

They're not wrong then! :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 am

A place I was surprised to find crap food and lousy service was the cafe at Eilean Donan Castle. Lukewarm soup with surly rude and hostile staff made for an unpleasant time. It was about four years ago so maybe they have found a job they like by now... I wont go back though.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 am

With all the negative comment here I thought I'd put in a good word for The Royal Hotel, Ullapool. Not the cheapest, but clean, decent accommodation, good breakfast menu and friendly, efficient staff. Great location too.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby allanglens » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm

From a week in the West Highlands and Skye, one of the best and the worst for food, anyway.

The best? The Granary in Somerled Square, Portree. As good food as I have had in some feted restaurants in Glasgow, and generous portions. Maybe not for a 'fuel stop' after a long day out, but for a quality, relaxed meal - excellent.

The worst. Some utterly tasteless gunk masquerading as food in the Ben Nevis Bar in Fort William. Only redeeming feature was some passable beer.

I really didn't think much of Fort William as a destination. No atmosphere - unless you count groups of lost-looking tourists from walkers; to Harry Potter-ists off the train; to Americans on the grand tour, all wandering along the High Street in search of somewhere to pass the time for the evening - as atmospheric! Porters was much better, even Inverness. As is Aviemore!
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby orion » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm

You lasted 35 minutes longer than I did :D

I gave up after the embarrassment of the dancing Tunnocks teacakes :roll:
orion

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 am

RTC wrote:Having just watched the first 40 minutes of the opening of the Commonwealth Games on the TV the answer to this question seems blatantly obvious.

hahahahaha :lol: :clap: well said!!!

Proud to say I didn't watch a single second of it, but have heard so much criticism of it this morning, that that was no bad thing!

Q: for those who did watch / suffer the whole thing...was there any mention of , reference to, nod towards the Scottish outdoors/mountains/hills/Munros at all? Just curious... :?
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   

Postby Shug » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am

It was like a modern version of Brigadoon in Glasgow.
But worse.
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm

A huge version of musical chairs :(

The opening of the baton in front of the queen just about summed it up :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion