walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

LAIRIG GHRU

LAIRIG GHRU

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 pm

hi all, quite a new member and am going to do the lairig grhu at the end of may, and was just wondering if anyone wanted to share their experiences of it.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: LAIRIG GHRU

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:53 am

It's a long slog wherever you do it from. I've been through it summer and winter. Stonefall is a constant danger whatever time of year, so moving quickly between areas where you might shelter (like a huge boulder/ bank of snow) is a good way to go. Having experienced stonefall/ice and snow avalanches, I prefer to wear a helmet when in the closest part of the pass.There will likely be big snow fields there at the end May, be carefull not to fall down holes in them as they are very deep and may have deep water in them. It will be very windy in the narrowest part of the pass, caused by air movement being funnelled through the gap in the hills. Be prepared with wind-proof clothing even though it is warm and summery in the glens. It is very impressive scenery with beetling cliffs and great swathes of scree. Look out for eagles, ptarmigan, falcon, and many other wild critters.Look out for remains of the ancient path, flagged with great flat rocks, where once walked the kilted highlanders, carrying swords, shields and flintlocks to protect their herds of cattle from the thieves and bandits who infested these hills. Nearing Luibeg you pass a copse of trees still known as "The Robbers Copse". If going from Rothiemurcus toward Braemar, Corrour bothy is a good stop-off point but tends to be busy. In the Rothiemurcus forest there is a flat open grassy area in the woods, by a curve of the river. There are the ruins of two cottages, built by men of Rob Roy MacGregor's band who stayed here to help a local landowner against a bullying neighbour. Their descendants lived there until between the two world wars. On the path down from the pass to Corrour you pass over the Tailors' Burn, where there is a large rock weathered into convoluted shapes. Here many years ago, three young men (who were tailors, hence the name), stopped to rest after battling through the snows of the lairig on an ill-advised wager that they could dance a jig on Hogmanay in both Rothiemurcus and Braemar. Their frozen bodies were found a long time later. At the headwaters of that burn in recent years two U.S. fighter pilots were killed when their planes slammed into Ben MacDui. In the pass about twenty years ago a tourist took his two kids for a walk but they were overtaken by bad weather and one of his children died. It is an unforgiving place, be carefull.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Have some pics. Try googling it for more info.
Boulder fields.jpg

Lairig Ghru.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:55 pm

thanks mate , jeez it all sounds a bit daunting now. i`m going with guys i walked the WHW last year and one of them has done this once before and said it can be difficult. but i suppose the more potential dangers and history about the place makes it more exciting. thanks for your reply, very interesting, i`ve been on the internet and looking at pics and videos of the walk, but i think i should read up on it a bit more. i thought the bothy might be busy and am planning on carrying a tent anyway, thanks again
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:27 am

Tomyboy, hope I can ask a related question in your topic?

I am planning to do the 4 Munros to the west of the Lairig Ghru in the next three weeks and the return will be to walk back through the LG. Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like as in, has the snow all now gone in the Ghru and just how much snow is still being held on the high plateaus'

The whole walk is about 22 miles and I dont think I want to be ploughing through any soft snow along the way.

Cheers G
Glenrothes

Postby dan_the_dingo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 am

As of friday morning, viewed from Aviemore, snow was down to about 700m in the Larig Ghru. Slightly lower in the shelter of the valley than the surroundings which had an approx snowline of 800m. Still winter on the summits for sure.
dan_the_dingo

Munros:169   Corbetts:66
Fionas:32   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:128   Islands:10

Postby Glenrothes » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 am

Cheers Dan,

might have to put plans back anyhow as I took a wee tumble from the mtb playing on a 'black run' yesterday (stupid boy) and have bruised my ribs...................wont be walking anywhere for a while I feel :(
Glenrothes

Postby seadog » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 am

Tomboy, you were asking about the Lairig Ghru and how difficult it was, well my story might help, during the 1980s and 1990s the Cairn Gorm Mountain Rescue Team arranged sponsored walks through the Lairig Ghru every 2 years to coincide with the longest day also through Glen Derry, and Glen Feshie, now as it was the summer I cant aggree with Caberfeidh about the dangers infact the first time we went through their might have been 1000 people including children, that might have been the reason we went via Glen Derry the next time these walks all started from the Linn of Dee. Hope this helps a wee bit.
Seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

While nothing Caberfeidh has said is made up, I sense his tongue may be slightly in cheek...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am

malky_c wrote:While nothing Caberfeidh has said is made up, I sense his tongue may be slightly in cheek...

Not true. I stand by what I have written. Gonnae no post that about me?!

And seadog may well have seen a thousand people walk through it; they got lucky. You could see a thousand people trudge up Ben Nevis, that doesn't make it not dangerous.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby seadog » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Come on Caberfeidh you cant compare the Lairig Ghru with Ben Nevis it would be interesting to know how many people going through in the summer have been injured by falling rock because they weren't wearing a helmet I would suspect none just had a thought ? maybe you are winding me up.
Seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
malky_c wrote:While nothing Caberfeidh has said is made up, I sense his tongue may be slightly in cheek...

Not true. I stand by what I have written. Gonnae no post that about me?!

And seadog may well have seen a thousand people walk through it; they got lucky. You could see a thousand people trudge up Ben Nevis, that doesn't make it not dangerous.

:shock: Oops! Well, a lot of your posts are somewhat less than serious to be fair (in this forum anyway)....
Certainly I'm not writing it off as an easy route, as one walking magazine did fairly recently I think. But you make it sound like the first crossing of South Georgia!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Sounds as though the Lairig Ghru is so far from the sea that it's got Caberfeidh all jumpy and spooked :lol:

As a landlubber - it's a nice walk in summer - it's in the 'Gorms and has a high point at 835m so it is easily in harsh mountain environment territory.

I wouldn't consider a helmet to walk it though.

As for Glenrothes - the 'Gorms were clad in snow to 800m or so this weekend (viewed from Dalwhinnie) - the pass might still be fairly well snow-patched :(
kinley

Postby Glenrothes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 am

kinley wrote:As for Glenrothes - the 'Gorms were clad in snow to 800m or so this weekend (viewed from Dalwhinnie) - the pass might still be fairly well snow-patched :(

Thanks for that also Kinley - they were my fearso. I think that it may be wise to postpone for a few weeks although other issues may have taken that decision for me :(
Glenrothes

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am

ok , thanks to everyone who replied, i don`t think Caberfeidh maybe realised how scary his post sounded and was just informing me of the extremeties that i may encounter, :lol: :lol: but i do appreciate everyone`s replies
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion