walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Campaign to buy Blencathra

Campaign to buy Blencathra

Postby sucmfic » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Yup over 2,000 acres of the Lake District are up for sale, as many national news outlets have covered.

For those who might be interested, there is a campaign going on to return the mountain to the public. Which means the likes of you and me can say, if slightly stretching it, "I've bought a mountain". This beats the alternative of selling it to a private owner who could see it as a trophy. Especially given that the land is up for sale with the title "Lord of the Manor of Threlkeld". Very fancy...

The group behind it have already had their first meetings and have lawyers, accountants and trust experts on speed dial... which amazed me seeing as it's only been going around a week. Not to mention Sir Chris Bonnington has become the groups' Honorary President. Along all the national and local news articles, they even made the BBC One Show last night (Monday) and the pledges have been coming thick and fast.

I'm not part of the core team working on this but I'm able to answer a whole raft of questions about what has gone on so far. They are only accepting pledges at this time of typing... so you don't have to part with your money right away! If you'd rather find out more about it for yourself, I would suggest their facebook group (Friends of Blencathra) is a good place to start / get involved.

Dave
sucmfic
Rambler

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:124
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Campaign to buy Blencathra

Postby GravelMonkey » Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Very interesting. What happens to pledges/donations should the bid fall down? Comments on the facecloth page suggest it being diverted to mountain rescue or similar charities.

Vive le Access! :thumbup:
GravelMonkey

Munros:83   Corbetts:9
Fionas:10   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:5   

Postby stevesey » Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Re-funds for amounts over £10 - rest to charity (MRT, air ambulance etc)

I'm in
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat May 17, 2014 7:59 pm

sucmfic wrote:... This beats the alternative of selling it to a private owner who could see it as a trophy. ...

As much as I like the idea of getting one over on Lord Snobbington is this really the truth? Doesn't that much land need maintaining, aren't there paths and stuff that need improved, what about when people try to build on it and stuff?
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby orion » Sun May 18, 2014 8:01 pm

If you had collected a pound from everyone on the summit of Blencathra yesterday you would be half way to the total :)
orion

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion