walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Compleat or complete?

Re: Compleat or complete?

Postby Tinto63 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:36 am

CharlesT wrote:
Tinto63 wrote:Compleat / compleation / compleatist / compleating : all pretentious and antediluvian.

Do I detect a hint of irony in your use of antediluvian or are you just being provocatively pretentious or maybe pretentiously provocative?

Absolutely, however you wish to interpret my post will be correct.......although I notice that antediluvian does not feature in Gowers' Plain Words. And neither does compleat, indeed the full title is 'The Complete Plain Words'.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Compleat or complete?

Postby gman » Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am

Tinto63 wrote:Compleat / compleation / compleatist / compleating : all pretentious and antediluvian.

I hope that's not an implied criticism of the SMC, who came up with the term 'compleat'. I mean, they're even allowing women members these days :lol:

"The SMC is still regarded as the premier club for skilled climbers to join. It has a membership of about 450 with women admitted in 1990. Female membership is "fast approaching double figures" says the club. So not that many then."
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15216166.victorian-gentlemen-grabbed-ropes-took-hills-easter/
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion