walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Some question in badly english

Some question in badly english

Postby micdan » Mon May 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello

Me and my girlfriend come to scotland in june for 15 days. We want first make the west higland ways and after we go to Skye island for 4 or 5 days. We want make some walk on the isle but we have some problem to choose where we go. Many thing to see but short hollidays ;.

We want to go to one campsite and make some walks to this.
What is the better for a first time ? Where they are many walk to do ?
I've hesited between the campsite of Staffin, Dunvegan or Bualintur.
It's easy to go to campsite of Buanlintur with bus ?

Thanks for you good site, i've see many things very interresting.

Thanks for all answer

Bye to Auvergne (France)
micdan

Skye campsites

Postby Paul Webster » Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Bonjour

It really depends on what sort of walks you'd like to do.

If you are into walking up the more difficult mountains, then Glen Brittle (this is the name that is used rather than Bualintur) or Sligachan are the best choices. Sligachan is easily reached by buses; there is just one early morning bus and one afternoon bus to Glen Brittle. Glen Brittle campsite has a small shop and nowhere to eat; Sligachan has a hotel near the campsite but no shop or anything else.

If you are looking for easier walks, there are good walks around Staffin and some near Dunvegan. But I think if you come by bus you'd be better camping at Torvaig campsite (one mile from Portree) and then using the bus each day to get to the start of walks such as the Storr, The Quiraing, Dun Caan on Raasay etc. You can then walk into Portree to find places to eat and shops as needed.

Have a good trip, and happy walking 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion