walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Will independance help or hinder our interests ?

Will independance help or hinder our interests ?

Postby ceegee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 pm

As the decision of independence nears, I cant help but wonder what effect a Yes or No vote will have on our sport/hobby .

My own personal point of view probably believes that a yes vote may be more sympathetic towards outdoor pursuits . Having said that , there are probably far more pressing reasons for deciding which way I will vote.
Will you vote no , as you are happy with the current situation and believe that the present government is doing all it can in order to provide us with a safe , accessable and affordable pusuit. bearing in mind that one day you may
regret not taking the "chance"

or will you take the plunge and hope that a new independent government may improve our country and deliver the snp promises. bearing in mind that one day you may regret taking the "chance"

Hope you have some opinions

ceegee
ceegee

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Will independance help or hinder our interests ?

Postby Backpacker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Regardless of whether the vote is Yes or No, the current government seems hell bent on putting wind turbines on as many hills as they possibly can :(
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 pm

There is only one way to vote for me and that's YES :D
Whatever happens
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 pm

scoob999 wrote:There is only one way to vote for me and that's YES :D
Whatever happens

Absolutely

Whatever happens, I doubt if anything will change either way as a direct result.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:24 am

If a condition of independence was bulldozing all the mountains to the ground I would still vote yes.

Most of the legislation around land use, transport etc already sits in Scotland so it probably won't make a huge difference one way or another. I'm certainly of the view that an independent Scotland making her own decisions in Europe and more than doubling our representation in the European parliament would be better for our farming and fishing communities.

That said as an snp member our party's attitude towards land reform and land use has been pathetic so far. There is now a commitment to bring a new land reform act in the life of this parliament in light of the land reform groups report so it will be interesting to see what that contains and how much of the report is considered.

Anyway, even in the event of a Yes vote who knows what govt we would have post 2016. In my first and last political broadcast on here I would say imagine the Scotland you want for you, your family and loved ones. Now think to yourself is it more likely to happen under independence or Westminster? Vote that way, for me that has to be voting Yes.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Moriarty » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 am

Whether independence would be favourable or unfavourable to outdoor pursuits is likely to depend on how much influence landed and moneyed interests could bring to bear on an independent as opposed to a devolved government.

Pretty unknowable I guess - like most things in the independence "debate" it will be neither the pure dead brilliant improved situation presented by one side, nor the minging disaster presented by the other side.

I may use as many of the next 99 days outdoors to avoid listening to the unseemly stushie.
Moriarty

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:17 am

I hope that this forum does not become a soapbox for people to promulgate their political views.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 am

I have my doubts for the interests of the ramblers. Take the case of the Speyside Way....a pleasant easy walk for folks to do during a few days holiday. A reasonable variety of terrain over the distance from coast towards the Cairngorms. After forty years, or so, of the route being established the section between Ballindalloch and Grantown-on Spey is basically a shambles.....the natural line of the route is disallowed by the owner so an alternative has been in use over all of this time.....have got the feeling that the even this rearranged section is allowed grudgingly?
We have had a parliament in Edinburgh for a couple of decades now but no progress? has been made on this access. :)
Must say though that as each day goes by, the attraction of being released from the Westminster quagmire, becomes ever more interesting. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Not being Scottish I will make no comment either way on this matter. However it did set me wondering if any Scot posting on this site would dare to say they were going to vote No and risk the opprobrium of nationalist members.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 am

CharlesT wrote:Not being Scottish I will make no comment either way on this matter. However it did set me wondering if any Scot posting on this site would dare to say they were going to vote No and risk the opprobrium of nationalist members.

Looks like a comment to me :wink:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:38 am

Only another 99 days to suffer all the politicians slagging each other off & making promises they never keep :( :(

Not sure this is the place to discuss our political feelings, but I wouldn't buy a used car from King Alex :wink: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Not sure this is the place to discuss our political feelings

That's the point. As a non-Brit I would prefer Scotland to stay in EU, for obvious reasons, no matter if independent or still in the UK. But I know that many of you folks have an emotional approach to this subject, so please, don't get too heated up on it. We all have the love for the hills in common, regardless of our political opinions. :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 am

Regardless of one's sympathies, I would think that an independent Scottish government is likely to have more pressing matters than the likes of access legislation to attend to in the next few years.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:35 am

I don't see a huge problem with having a political discussion here the thread title is pretty clear, no one forces anyone to read it and the OP has clearly stated the relevance to the community on here.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:39 am

CharlesT wrote:Not being Scottish I will make no comment either way on this matter. However it did set me wondering if any Scot posting on this site would dare to say they were going to vote No and risk the opprobrium of nationalist members.

I take it you mean you don't live in Scotland?

Anyway no opprobrium from me , you get arses on all sides. You also get Nationalists and nationalists on both sides, it's just the colours they wave that are different.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion