walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

7 Munro's of Crianlarich

7 Munro's of Crianlarich

Postby Nick Slater » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:09 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing the 7 Munro's of Crianlarich this Friday wild camping one night, finishing in Crianlarich again, so I can train it back to Edinburgh on Saturday.

Those who have done this route, any suggestions? I've bought the OS Explorer map 364 and have various apps on my phone for GPS. Is this route difficult to navigate?

Thanks
Attachments
Crianlarich - Ben More, Stob Binnein, Cruach Ardrain,An Caisteal copy.jpg
Nick Slater
Scrambler

Munros:1   

Re: 7 Munro's of Crianlarich

Postby Riverman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 am

I've not done the full round but the western three. I found the route finding between Beinn Chabhair and Beinn a Chroin reasonably testing. You drop down to about 600m and the terrain is knobbly/complex. All 7 in one go would be epic. I'm happy doing them in chunks though.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby doggy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:16 am

I done Ben More and Stob Binnein in one go and never really enjoyed it. I had heard Ben More was nice but I was left feeling disappointed, the bealach between them is tough too, I know I could never do 7 in one weekend my knees would be aching. Good luck though.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Riverman wrote:I've not done the full round but the western three. I found the route finding between Beinn Chabhair and Beinn a Chroin reasonably testing. You drop down to about 600m and the terrain is knobbly/complex. All 7 in one go would be epic. I'm happy doing them in chunks though.

I crossed that bit as well and it was a lot tougher than I had imagined. Doing 4 at one time there was enough for me so good luck with 7 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I've done all sorts of combinations of these seven hills over the years, but while I've not done all seven together from the Falloch/Crianlarich side I have from the Inverlochraig roadend, and I'm pretty sure it's shorter and less fiddly from there.

I did them E-W, Stob Binnein first, Beinn Chabhair last. Got to Cruach Ardrain via Stob Garbh, then out to Beinn Tulaichean before the longest between-summits stretch out to Beinn a'Chroin. If doing it W-E, I think going from BaC direct to CA probably makes more sense (I've done this on a non-seven day), then out to BT before heading for the big western pair via the interesting stretch between the BT and SG cols. The order I did them in when going E-W felt natural enough, however. Doing them from the south side means that there's the useful glen track out after Beinn Chabhair - a pleasant easy stretch at the end of the day.

Obviously different people will go at different paces, but for me it took a few minutes under 11 hours, with plenty of short stops but only one longish one - 18 mins below Stob Glas on the stretch from BT to BaC. I had intended having lunch on BT itself, but was feeling good there so pushed on a bit to make inroads into the fiddly stretch.

In terms of conditions, I deliberately waited for a guaranteed dry settled day, and with thin high cloud to reduce the amount of direct sunlight. I'd had a previous attempt on a pure scorcher akin to what we've been having this week, but knew even before Stob Garbh that I wasn't up for it, and simply settled for the four eastern Munros. On the day when I managed all seven, I felt fine after the second big ascent, up on to CA, and was pretty confident that it was doable from there. Given the conditions, I took very little by way of spare clothing - just a thin runner's cag (not that I did any running), a pair of gloves and a hat. Plenty of fluids and snacks, but very little weight in the rucksack really.

Not sure how often you've been on those hills before (your Munro counter says just one overall but that could be wrong), but a fair amount of recceing would help on the sections between the standard groups of 2:2:3 hills. From what you say, you'll be camping and splitting it over two days - so that ought to be easier than doing the whole bunch as a daytrip, but if you're hauling luggage over all the tops then it might actually be harder. Good luck with whatever you end up doing, anyway - it's a fine and underrated group of hills.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 pm

If you're wild camping, would your phone have sufficient battery life to use its GPS over two days?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Nick Slater » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 am

Thank you so much for all of your replies.

I've decided to leave the option open to spend another night wild camping, so doing this trip over three days rather than just two. I'll be carrying quite a large pack which will slow me down and I've never walked with poles before but will get some for this trip.
I have an extra battery pack for my GPS which is a solar charger too. I tested it a long the West Highland Way and it kept everything charged for 7 days. Really nice piece of kit. I have the correct OS Map 364 for the area too. I'm testing out a few GPS apps to see which is the best; Outdoors GPS, NavigX and Multiplans.
I'm leaving Thurs morning from Haymarket to Crianlarich hoping for some good weather.
Again thanks for all of your relplies, been very helpful indeed!
Nick Slater
Scrambler

Munros:1   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:47 pm

:o have a great trip
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby garyoppolis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Coming up Glen Falloch, don't break track until after you pass the fenceline.

It'll make the first hour much more pleasant.
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SuperMillie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Nick,

Not sure if you managed this at the weekend but there is a good report of this monumental undertaking here, might be worth a look?

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21080
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion