walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A map with munro circuits on it?

A map with munro circuits on it?

Postby doggy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm

I think it would be pretty good and handy if there was a list of Munros that can be done together. When I look on the Munro map and click on a hill quite often two munros can be done at one time, it would be great if someone listed all the double munros or three or four munros that could be done in one circuit. Is there anything like that out there already?

Cheers.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A map with munro circuits on it?

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm

The possibilities of combinations are endless. I think this report includes the most you can do in a single trip:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36433
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby doggy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Ha ha that's too much for me.

I did find a circuit with 4 munros behind the lawyers range, I could attempt that.
doggy

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm

scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

If you look at the trip reports for the hill(s) you're interested in on this site, you will see that some reports have more than "M1" listed...that usually means that they've linked several munros together, although sometimes it means that the writer has - unhelpfully from your point of view- linked the hills they've done in an entire trip, which may not be a just single outing - i am guilty of this :roll:

It's also good fun looking at the map and seeing what combinations you can come up with for yourself then plotting them out
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:09 pm

doggy wrote:I think it would be pretty good and handy if there was a list of Munros that can be done together. When I look on the Munro map and click on a hill quite often two munros can be done at one time, it would be great if someone listed all the double munros or three or four munros that could be done in one circuit. Is there anything like that out there already?

Cheers.

For the most part this is how it is on this very site. If you look at the map and you see a grouping of 3 or 4 hills chances are the Detailed Route Map (which is the official WH route) will have a route featuring all of them. Take Lochnagar for example, it is in a cluster of 5 Munros, doesn't matter which munro you select from the map all 5 have a link to the route that takes in all 5.

If the Detailed Route Map doesn't have the route then there is a good chance there will already be a user walk report for it as weaselmaster has described. The trouble here is this is where it becomes a lot more subjective, perhaps you don't count a circuit as one circuit if you have to camp during it, or perhaps you don't think it is feasible to come right back down to sea level before tackling a second or third munro.

For the most part though just look at the Munro map, where you see a cluster of Munros you will find a route that takes them all in.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby doggy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Yeah I've seen a few circuits on Stevens site but I like the GPX on here.
I've found a couple of circuits in Perthshire, if I do one of them I may wildcamp so it's just a case of picking somewhere to go.
doggy

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 pm

doggy wrote:Yeah I've seen a few circuits on Stevens site but I like the GPX on here.

I do as well :D But fallons site has the gpx track for all his routes too :wink:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Bear in mind that Steven Fallon's timings are very optimistic based solely on Naismith's rule with no time added for stops, breathers, photos, really steep bits. Some of his routes I would do over several days. The WH timings are more realistic for normal people
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:54 pm

If you can do without all the electronic gizmos, the old fashioned way of using a book has a lot going for it. You will find the SMC Munros Guide often groups together Munros that are best done /it is possible top do together.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Fairweather Softie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:39 am

Hi,

Click walks top left of this page, click search all walk and then use filter number of munros and you get groups from this site, useful when you want to hit more than onw
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:46 am

I think there’s a balance to be struck here. We all like multi-bagging if we can – i.e., getting more than one hill done on one day. But there’s real value too, in taking your time, stopping and savouring the scenery and just ‘being’.

I’ve been on a couple of walks where people I've buddied up with have just RACED through the walk, without really seeming to stop and savour the moment. For me that takes the enjoyment out of the day. I’d far rather do a 2 summit route and really soak up the scenery and the silence, than do a five summit route and not ‘stop and smell the flowers’.

PS: South Glen Sheil Ridge: 9 hours, seven Munros, next-to-no descent / re-ascent between each summit. Piece of cake.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 am

You can list all Walkhighlands routes ordered by how many Munros (or other types of hills) they have - it sounds like that might be what you are looking for?

Go to the 'Search all walks' at the bottom of the Walks menu. On the summits section, tick the box for 'Munros' routes only. At the bottom, change the drop down to order the walks by 'Number of Munros'. Then click search.

For other combinations, as others have said the hill pages all have an M number next to each user walk report - this lets you know how many Munros the walk in that report climbed.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion