walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What else do you do?

Re: What else do you do?

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 am

I can spend lots of time in the hills because i live among them so don't have far to travel.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 am

I’m on the M-F, 9-5 Mortgage slave, hamster wheel, sadly. :( Been working with my current employer in Embra for over 15 years. :roll:

I’m only free for hill-walking every second weekend. Interests outside hillwalking include Rangers FC, astronomy, and lying along the settee, TV remote in hand, eating Jaffa Cakes. :?
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby golfpunk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm also on the 9-5 rat race train but I tend to go in and do overtime everyday as we're trying to save up for our next house deposit and starting a family. I work in the oil industry in aberdeen so have to do abit of travelling to get to most of the munro's.

when not working I have a big passion for television. no, not soaps, I watch a better standard of television than that :lol: . american dramas like the wire, the sopranos, breaking bad etc. are shows I absolutely love to watch. I have watched countless tv series and try and stay on top of all the new shows that start each year. so if anyone would like any advice on a new show to start or shows they may not have seen yet then give me a shout! :)

I am also a huge football fan and watch as many games as I can without annoying the wife and I try to get down to pittodrie to watch the dons whenever they are playing at home. it's an unhealthy obsession that I can foresee being matched by hill walking in the future.

I also love to play golf but don't get out as much as I would like to. most memberships in aberdeen are quite pricey so tend to play when I visit home (elgin) to play with my dad or my good friends.

another hobby that's crept up on me in the last few years is cooking. I just love to cook these days. I have a growing number of cook books and love to try new things every now and again. the problem is that our current flat doesn't have the biggest kitchen so all the wedding gift kitchenware we received last year is in storage waiting for the move to a bigger house and bigger kitchen! I can't bloody wait.

hmmm, not much else really. I spend alot of time frequenting internet forums like this place. the internet is a wonderful place!
golfpunk
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:1

Postby chickadee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 pm

I work in non-fiction publishing which is full-time office work and that's what makes me so happy to get outside and away from the computer at the weekend! But I also commute in the car so petrol costs mount up which sometimes stops me going as far as I'd like. I have flexible working so I can usually get away earlier on a Friday. I do production and editing, mainly, so I can be a giant pedant at work and then in my free time I can have friends, haha.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Dan Scheer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm

I work in IT, so plenty of time to browse this forum, plan my weekend trips, research and sadly buy too much kit during eh work hours (to the other forum member working for the same company, you didn't read this part!! ;) )
All my family lives over a thousand miles away, having no kids, partner or other ties, I have all the time in the world to spend my non-working time adventuring.
I spend all day staring at screens and working with computers, so don't have or want a tv at home and spend pretty much all my evenings with various sports and my weekends outdoors.
Counting the days til I get to retire in about 30 years!!
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Postby tony-c » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:51 pm

i'm also a monday to friday wage slave in a job i dislike more and more each day :( . i spend all week on WH, looking at maps,planning routes and checking the weather to see if i can escape to a hill or two for the weekend. all my holidays i spend in scotland plus many weekends. i also spend a lot of time in the lake district (except summer). i would hate to think how much i spend on fuel. i also enjoy fishing in the sea lochs in summer and watching wildlife. Newcastle united were my main hobby/intrest for a very long time and i followed them all over the country through thin and thinner :( .but after years of being let down i came to realise they only want me for my money :? . beware of mike ashley, lightfoot. Ibrox will be the sports direct arena before you know it :lol: I also keep japanese koi but this has also become an expensive pastime due to rising fuel costs.
roll on the weekend :D
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Hill-loving lady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm lucky to be a primary teacher (the kids keep me young!!!) with my own two grown-up offspring living in Glasgow, at university/work, I have long holidays in which I try to get out a fair amount. Recently I've been out 4 weekends out of 5, the 5th being away at Belladrum Festival rocking the festival chick look (NOT!!!)

But with a partner who doesn't walk the hills I do feel a bit guilty heading off as often as I do - hence his purchase for our anniversary of the mug bearing the message 'I'd rather be out on the hills' - reckon a point was being made! (guilty as charged!!!)

My excuse is that it keeps me sane (!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: !!!) and fit ( :shock: ) and ehm, well, I simply love it! He loves the motorbike - each to their own interests, and here's hoping he'll take the bike on some of my trips, cos generally the roads are great where the mountains are - a perfect combination really.

I'm also extremely blessed that my son also loves coming out with me and we have a tradition of taking 3 trips away together each year to walk and camp, or bothy or bunkhouse - brilliant to share it with him (until he starts on about politics...yawn)

Other than hills, well my interests include planning for the hills, reading about the hills, buying for the hills, map reading for the hills, reading walk reports on here, etc etc.

I used to have time to garden, to listen to music, to cook, to draw and paint - but this passion is all consuming and probably should come with an addiction warning! My dog Bob the Dog also loves the mountain excursions, with camping a real highlight. He keeps me cosy!

So, never lose hope, there will be a time when you can get out more, and you obviously love it and that love never dies regardless of how many years pass. (My first Munro was in 1984 after all - the slowest round ever at this rate!!!)
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby basscadet » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Hill-loving lady wrote:I'm lucky to be a primary teacher (the kids keep me young!!!) with my own two grown-up offspring living in Glasgow, at university/work, I have long holidays in which I try to get out a fair amount. Recently I've been out 4 weekends out of 5, the 5th being away at Belladrum Festival rocking the festival chick look (NOT!!!)

Oh Dougie and I were at Belladrum.. :lol:

I'm a manager of a GP surgery in one of the rougher parts.. Its tough, longish hours for rubbish pay, but rewarding.. I couldn't work for a company that was all about making money instead of helping folk.. :roll: Its a good rest physically between hill trips :wink:
Apart from that, I love zumba/gym, play guitar/bass (as my name suggests) and cheese.. Couldnie live without tea or cheese :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Doctor. Gasman to be precise. Still working nights, weekends and all that.
Lifelong Spurs sufferer. It doesn't get any easier.
Can only get away to hills for 2/3 days max at present, once every 6-8 weeks. Try to make do with Moors and dales in between. Once ran a 3:17 marathon, need to lose 10 kgs now though and feet too knackered to run anymore....
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm

PS

Hill-loving lady wrote:My first Munro was in 1984 after all - the slowest round ever at this rate!!!

Ha! My first was 1976 .... I'll race you to be the slowest! :lol:
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:56 pm

It's the journey....not the destination :wink:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:12 am

I work in Welfare Rights for my local Council. Helping people who've been penalised by Welfare Reform is pretty rewarding, enjoyable and sensible hours, so i have the weekends to get out on the hills (sometimes).

Also play football, badminton and various other things, which is probably why I have the knees of an 80 year old. I used to be pretty decent at golf but chucked it years ago. I might get back into it in the next few years.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Walking the hills has been my passion since I left school, so in terms of the longest round so far its been 39 years and you appear to have started in the same way I did, slowly. But not a man of few words :lol: although I did meet my match once, here goes...

Its a passion that I have never lost, and never will. Combined with my other love of landscape photography, a good combination as most of my best pictures have been on days walking rather than specifically for photography.

The early years were confined to England and Wales, Scotland was simply too far for a day out, but that changed when I moved north and never looked back. Scotland is my home and always will be, too much of what I love is here.

I have managed to fit my walking around my work life, working now but only as a means to fund my cottage renovations as I build a new home for myself, my previous career providing the funds to live, so to speak, eventually the need to work will expire ( he says looking at an unfinished bathroom, lounge, bedrooms, garden...well ok kitchens good and hot water and heating works :lol: )

I have enjoyed the hills in all weathers and all seasons but winter is the best, winter is my stage. I have had some of my best days in the winter season. Yes it is committing, as is life, if you have the willpower, staying power, and yes you need to be a fighter to reach those goals, especially alone, you cannot give up. In life you can give up, change path, return to the same old path, but in walking, on a winter trip, conditions against you, apart from walking out early on, having not reached your summit, you have to battle on.

I use to be a caver/potholer and recounted many a rescue story where it was said that once they had rescued someone from a cave they then had a mountain rescue to follow to get them off the hill…but I digress, maybe sending you to sleep now.

Some use the hills as an escape, an escape from the reality of life. They can be, yes, I know in those early years when you first start out on lifes journey, walking the hills, especially in bad conditions, suddenly the gas bill sitting at home seems irrelevant as you battle gales and rain wondering if you will actually get off the hill. The finances take care of themselves and no amount of money will make you happy, no amount of material things will take the place of the hills, it may seem that way, but the pleasure of buying something new is short lived (maybe thats the escape), just look around you home and see what you actually need. For a time in rented accomodation, my possessions revolved around walking, my pictures, photos, maps, walking clobber, camping gear, apart from the necessities to eat sleep and wash, what esle do you need ??

So they are not an escape, if you don’t like the reality in which you live, change it, believe in what you dream off and not of what your told or hear, and make it happen, its there waiting you just have to take that chance or forever live wondering.

Since I moved north my hill days increased, mostly walking alone with my faithful canine companion Holly, my first dog, who sadly had to be put to sleep in my arms a while back, I miss her hugely and still believe she is walking with me, whenever I feel a little down. But you don’t feel down for long in the hills, that’s for sure. Once I am over that loss, and work expires a new companion will be taken in, although it will never replace her, some things in life canot be replaced.

The hills have taken me to new places, fantastic places, the geography, the trees, the rocks, the ever changing light, makes every trip worthwhile, every trip different, every trip special.

Some will always stand out in ones mind, the great ridge of the Aonach Eagach, Beinn Alligin, Liathach and my personal favourite An Teallach, a wondrous mountain, a special day, one day to hopefully return in a new life. Often my cover photo, once this lounge is decorated, fireplace sorted it will have pride of place on the main wall.

But the boring hills, as some would refer, also hold great days out, Drumochter in deep snow, Glenshee, none are boring if you pick the right day or go with the right companions, canine or human or alone, find yourself :D

Walking brings out the best in you and in those you walk with, it can be motivating, infectious, all consuming, the planning, route decisions, escape routes, pouring over maps studying the details, the photos, books etc. Its in the blood, its what makes you who you really are and if you think not, your only kidding yourself. If you share the passion a weekend of walking will last all week.

It’s a passion even better shared, priceless you might say, and the chance to share it all week, but don’t feel bad or guilty for going it alone if that’s your choice. Easy for me to say as I am, outside of renovations and home building I can get out whenever I choose, and when I return home I can relive every moment with my photos, maps and books without having to switch it off and return to another reality and start the planning for the next trip.

So, the hills are a passion, not much time for anything else, they keep you fit, keep you alive and personally for me they are all I need.

Other commitments can get in the way, but as I said before, they are of your own making, so change it, only you can do that, only you can make that decision, only you can steer the course of your life as time will pass so quickly and whatever you do it will work out, believe me. Someone once told me the most important bit on a gravestone is the line betwen your birth and your passing as that is you life, so very true. So get out when you can, if you cant get out as often as you wish any moment will live in your memories forever and be all the more special for that.
Dave :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby WalkingDutchman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 am

CharlesT wrote:Spend far too much time on this site. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very true. Unfortunately I can only get into the hills once or maybe twice a year if I'm lucky (managed twice this year :-D ).

Other than that I work the 9-5 5-7 rat race in (Geo-) IT, driving far too many kilometers to customers. Outside of work I read, paddle in my kayak (flatwater - there is no wildwater in the Netherlands) and with my dragon boat club, go for walks with my mutts, and try to fix up my house. Oh, and I maintain a few websites, and try to stay in shape most of the year. I do not get much sleep on weekdays :wink:
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby irishwasa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 am

My work takes me a long way from home at times (field service engineer), so walking at home is sporadic, at best. I manage a week backpacking in Scotland each year (absolute bliss), and a few other nights wild camping whenever / wherever I can steal them. Had a wild camping weekend in Teesdale, followed by another in the Lakes earlier in the year.
Only had 4 days at home since end of June, though, so not been out lately. Having a week in Kefalonia end of this month, so hoping to do a bit of exploring there.
irishwasa
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion