walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carn Bhac Conumdrum…help required

Carn Bhac Conumdrum…help required

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 am

I was hoping some of the more experienced hands on here could give me a wee bit of practical advise, insight….

I’m looking to do Carn Bhac from Inverey possibly this weekend. I‘m wondering why the route description on this site is to follow the track by the Ey Burn all the way to Altanour Lodge.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/beinn-iutharn-mhor.shtml

According to my OS 387, there’s another (seemingly more direct), track, West of the recommended route. This track - which takes you in the direction of Carn Creageach - runs across the summit of Carn nan Seilach and, according to OS 387, terminates at 068’842. I estimate this track would save maybe 2-3 mls or so (?) on the recommended route.

Can anyone tell me why this isn’t the recommended route? Is there something glaringly obvious which I’m overlooking? :?

Grateful for any take on this.

Cheers.

PS: For info, I'm not looking to bag Beinn Iutharn Mhor , having done this previously
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Re: Carn Bhac Conumdrum…help required

Postby Gigha » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 am

Yes that is a good route if you are only doing Carn Bhac. If you are not cycling in then you can also do a circular route as shown below.

Gigha
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:213   Donalds:89+43
Sub 2000:60   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:111   Islands:30

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am

Going to Altanour is probably the better route if you're cycling in and out again but, as illustrated on the map, going up the ridge from Auchelie is much better if in foot. That way also has the advantage of giving you sustained superb views into the Cairngorms. If you get a clear day, Carn Bhac gives an almost matchless view of the main Cairngorm massif and, by following the ridge northward, you are staying high and walking into the view for a large part of the day. My favoured option, in fact, is to stay on the ridge to Carn Liath and Carn a Moine, and drop down (quite steeply, but perfectly safely) to Wester Inverey. One of those days you want to keep going as long as possible.
Hope the weather keeps for you.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

Gigha – many thanks for the useful map. Much appreciated.

Thanks, too, CW for the helpful advice. Your suggestion to stick to the ridge for the whole circuit sounds very attractive. Fingers crossed I get clear views all day. :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:31 pm

we did something very similar to what Gigha suggests. It was a good route apart from the haggy bit that he missed by sticking to the ridge.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16218
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby golfpunk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

i'm considering doing carn bhac by itself without incorporating in beinn Iutharn mhor in the coming weeks aswell. how long are you looking at for the circuit gigha posted?
golfpunk
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:1

Postby Gigha » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm

golfpunk wrote:i'm considering doing carn bhac by itself without incorporating in beinn Iutharn mhor in the coming weeks aswell. how long are you looking at for the circuit gigha posted?

From track log :- distance 22km, time 7.5 hrs, ascent ~ 1000m. That was for a winter walk with snow line about 400m

I would imagine it would be possible to do it far quicker at this time of year if it was a nice day.
Gigha
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:213   Donalds:89+43
Sub 2000:60   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:111   Islands:30

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 pm

I came back the way you are describing. It would be quicker to go there and back that way but for my money Glen ey is well worth a visit and adds interest. straight there and back would be a bit dull imo
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Steve B » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

I was up there yesterday. Cycled to the ruins and Carn Bhac on it's own.
There was a notice going in advising grouse shooting ongoing on a couple of the hills which luckily did not include the ridge up to Carn Bhac. It looked as though they had probably the day before though so I would advise contacting them first before getting there and finding your plans scuppered or at least have a flexible plan.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:14 am

nice one, thanks for the tip, Steve. Will do.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion