walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

deer flies - keds

Re: deer flies - keds

Postby Old Bill » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:11 pm

As I wrote of Meall Bhuide a wee while back:

"As mentioned the keds had been constant all the way up and although tedious and irritating they weren’t a real problem and I’d almost got used to them. But on the top here there was nothing less than a swarm of them. Suddenly I had dozens and dozens of them all over me, a plague of Biblical proportions! Sort of. On my arms, chest, face, in my hair, in my ears, in my mouth when I opened it to curse them… I’d never seen so many things on me all at one time. I wouldn’t have been surprised if there were hundreds of them. And they were coming back as quickly as I was frantically brushing them off. No place for a rest then and after stopping for less than a minute I was forced to carry on. I felt like a cartoon character being chased by bees running off to the nearest pond! By now I was not a fan of these little blighters."

And I'm dreading the day they realise that it's easier to bite a human than a deer!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I haven't seen any keds this year so far, but clegs are getting really annoying! We went to Sandwood Bay yesterday and they attacked us relentlessly on the path, thankfully the beach was quite windy so they left us alone there.

The "flying" time for keds is August/September, so the best (or worst) is yet to come. ha ha ha :wink:

Old Bill wrote:And I'm dreading the day they realise that it's easier to bite a human than a deer!

I was bitten by a ked once. Similar reaction to a cleg bite: nasty swelling and itching that lasts for days. I hope they don't make a habit of attacking hillwalkers... Hopefully our blood is not as tasty as deer blood :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:48 pm

CharlesT wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I'll just have to recommend this......yet again

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/20/why-the-zebra-got-its-stripes-to-deter-flies-from-landing-on-it

I have bought a zebra blouse, but not yet ventured out in it. They do Tees for men as well (tho' this seems to come from the US

https://www.amazon.com/liangjinyan-Texture-Stripes-Printed-Graphics/dp/B07G127KX1

Body paint might be a starter.

Oh! Go the whole hog.....
716-10078-11S35QBLK_BLACK_ALT10.jpeg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe you and Caberfeidh could do a double act and climb the Ben in this. I guarantee you wouldn't feel a single ked

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CharlesT » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Sgurr wrote:
CharlesT wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I'll just have to recommend this......yet again

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/20/why-the-zebra-got-its-stripes-to-deter-flies-from-landing-on-it

I have bought a zebra blouse, but not yet ventured out in it. They do Tees for men as well (tho' this seems to come from the US

https://www.amazon.com/liangjinyan-Texture-Stripes-Printed-Graphics/dp/B07G127KX1

Body paint might be a starter.

Oh! Go the whole hog.....
716-10078-11S35QBLK_BLACK_ALT10.jpeg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bags the front end, but doubt there's room for my Berserkers helmet.

Cut my grass today and still no clegs. Very odd.

Maybe you and Caberfeidh could do a double act and climb the Ben in this. I guarantee you wouldn't feel a single ked

CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Iain R » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:53 am

Welp, I'd never even heard of Keds before now; Clegs and Ticks, aye, but not these wee beggars.

My honest reaction? NOPE. Off to burn my boots. :lol:
Iain R
Scrambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:2

Postby mikebeattie1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:30 pm

sitting here reading this report scratching my cleg bites from kintail area yesterday

clegs look like big flies light brown in colour they are on you and bite with there chainsaw like mouths before you know anything about it . then in 24hours your are scratching like a mad man .even with long thin tops they bite through
i never wear short sleeves or shorts anymore walking all because of these things

keds ive never had problems the look like crabs with wings due to what i think looks like two front pincers a darker brown and sort of rubbery and can take a couple of flicks to remove from you
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Postby CraigGG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:47 pm

No wings, but is this a Ked? Three days after a walk in the Cairngorms when i put my boots back on, felt this running up my leg. No bites so no problem although It had to be pinched rather than brushed off my leg.
Craig.
Attachments
20190926_204806.jpg
CraigGG
Mountaineer

Postby kaiserstein » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm

It seems this time of year and the warm conditions is perfect for keds. Was being attacked constantly on bhuidhe beinn all the way to the summit. Only went away as it got cooler. Worst I've seen as were constant and was being swarmed at times. Had to dive in my tent then spend the next 15 mins killing all the ones that were on me :-x
Attachments
20200918_184623.jpg
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:36 pm

They were horrid today when I climbed Meall Doire Faid. I started out the day feeling quite chuffed--although it was warm until I got onto the ridge, it was midge-less, and I thought I was in for a beastie-less belter of a day. I sat on the top of Meallan Mhurchaidh to soak in fabulous views and sunshine (how often does THAT happen??), and they descended.

I hurried off and didn't really stop for the rest of the route, but it was too late; I was picking them off me all the way home.

I still feel crawly, even after a shower. I'll say it again: vile creatures.

Kaiserstein, how did you kill them? They seem indestructable.

And yes, Craig, that is a ked. They can shed their wings. It's the "three days later" that really gets me...
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Had a similar problem yesterday morning on the way up Beinn na Caillich - even worse at the top as there was no wind. They get everywhere even in eyes and ears.

kmai1961 wrote:Kaiserstein, how did you kill them? They seem indestructable.
"Squidging" them bteween thumb and forefinger seems to work for me. Got some in the tent the night before but they move quite slowly once they land and could then catch them.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby midge airsupport » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Pity its so pricey in the uk ,but soffell insect repellent cream works a treat.First introduced to it in thailand,were the little (and not so little) bitey buggers just treated jungle formulator as a condiment.If the deet don't put them off the creamy texture gums up there gnashers.
midge airsupport
Backpacker

Postby Orosay » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 am

[quote="grumpy old bagger"]Anybody know much about keds?

Well something bit me at Mam Sodhail yesterday and I am 99% sure it was one of these, even drew blood, although I didn’t feel it at all! Keeping an eye on it and will report back if my arm falls off!
Orosay
Mountain Walker

Munros:39   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:19

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am

Keds are the only one that makes my skin crawl, for some reason. I really hate them! A few around Loch Shiel last week, I seem to often only know about them when I feel one crawling in my hair just behind an ear. Pretty much the only place I've still got hair on my head! They always need scraping off and are remarkably hard to kill unless patient, and patience is something that disappears when I realise there's one on me!
A few mozzies about too, they're still itching, but though there were quite a few midges in early evening, the bites went down very quickly for once and repellent actually worked.
Not seen a cleg/horsefly at all this year, north or south.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:36 am

O bring on the winter freeze, the chill frosty days and icy nights, let the creepie-crawlies die off and let us walk free once more... :shock:

Scotties Katabatic blast#2R.jpg
Chilly but sanginivorous creepie-crawlie-free conditions, Cairngorms...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby GillC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:18 am

Old Post I know but having just repeated the Sth Shiel Ridge in scorching conditions, we were totally overrun by swarms of keds...we had them in our hair, under the midge nets, hats etc. Disgusting. Was picking them out of my hair right through the night. A day later and the hair line on my neck, all over my back etc is covered in bite marks/lumps. I dont react to midgies really so can only put these down to the swarms of keds.. anyone had this?
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion