walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Highest car park when doing a munro

Re: Highest car park when doing a munro

Postby Scottk » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:48 pm

I did the 9 Munro’s from Glenshee two weeks ago and Cairnwell was my last. Hardest bit was down carn an tuirc and back up carn aosda. The ski lift was working and when I came off the cairnwell, a guy was getting off the lift with a rucksack! Think the road is close enough you don’t need the lift.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:08 pm

It tends to be forgotten in these discussions just how easy some of the Lawers Munros are from the high road. Tarmachan, Beinn Ghlas  and - particularly - Meall Corranaich are very straightforward from there. I'm fond of going up Corranaich from near the dam, and it's quicker from there than is Glas Maol from the ski centre. Corranaich is also a very quick hill to descend in the right conditions - a few summers ago I was with a friend who is a very good descender, and he got from the summit to the road just north of the dam in 30 minutes without any obvious rush. I couldn't live with the pace lower down especially, and reached the road in 33 minutes by which time my pal had had a drink and a snack. Someone half-jogging down (and younger than me!) could probably do it in somewhere close to 20 minutes if so minded.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 pm

The Cairnwell is a neat combination of highest road and almost-lowest Munro - in theory it would have been perfectly possible for a) the highest car park and b) the car park closest in height to the summit of a nearby Munro to be in different places.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Lewton » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:40 pm

I live in Wales and I'm unlikely to ever complete many Munros. I'm also getting on 'a bit'. :\

A question came to my mind this morning whilst looking at mountain treks in Wales and Scotland. It may well be common knowledge, but I've no idea.

Is there a list anywhere of elevations from sea level AND actual trekking elevations from start of trails (trailheads) / car parks, etc.? For the Munros, in particular.

Be interesting to look at for when I might come up north. But, mainly, just out of curiosity I'm asking. Thanks.
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Lewton wrote:I live in Wales and I'm unlikely to ever complete many Munros. I'm also getting on 'a bit'. :\

A question came to my mind this morning whilst looking at mountain treks in Wales and Scotland. It may well be common knowledge, but I've no idea.

Is there a list anywhere of elevations from sea level AND actual trekking elevations from start of trails (trailheads) / car parks, etc.? For the Munros, in particular.

Be interesting to look at for when I might come up north. But, mainly, just out of curiosity I'm asking. Thanks.

Yes, on this site, you can fine the ascent for each walk and also the height above sea level for each hill on said walk
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:Yes, on this site, you can fine the ascent for each walk and also the height above sea level for each hill on said walk

That sort of works, but because many walks combine multiple hills, and the ascent is the total for the whole walk, it's not that easy to work out the ascent needed for shorter expeditions that just climb a single hill. The SMC Munros book gives the cumulative ascent to each summit along the way as well as the total for the walk, which is a bit better, but not quite the answer.

There aren't too many start points for Munros which are at over 400m: the Glen Shee road, the A9 at Drumochter, the Ben Lawers road, Cairngorm ski car park, Loch an Daimh in Glen Lyon (for Stuchd an Lochain or Meall Buidhe), Corrour station.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Lewton » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 am

Thankyou both. That's a great help. I'll check out both. Thanks. 👍
Lewton
Backpacker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion