walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Pay Car Parks

Re: Pay Car Parks

Postby StevieC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

If you want to park in the car park in Luss and do the hills there it'll cost you a good £4 or £5 - but only during the summer months I think.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

malky_c wrote:Ben Bhraggie car park, Golspie - £5. One to watch out for! Apparently this is to fund the mountain bike trails on the hill.

£5 is the 'suggested minumum contribution' but the machine won't give you a ticket for any less. As I didn't have £5 on me and couldn't give it the money I had, I didn't pay in the end. Mind you, I was there for work, not to go mountain biking (although I did nip up Beinn Bhraggie and Beinn Lunndaidh afterwards).

Really? As a former Golspie Gal, I'm ashamed..
They must prey on the tourist though, because there is a lot of free parking in Golspie, well within walking distance of 'the mannie' :lol:

I pay if I have the cash, but generally dont, so just leave it to chance.. The parking at the Bottom of Glen Callater is one to look out for though. I forgot to get change, and parked there for a couple of days, only to find when I got back, that both my rear tyres had been let down.. :lol:
I guess estates dish out their own non ticket related justice :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 pm

basscadet wrote:... parked there for a couple of days, only to find when I got back, that both my rear tyres had been let down.. :lol:

Wow, that's incredibly irresponsible of someone! What if you had no way of getting home? Actually, how did you get home?! :shock:
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
basscadet wrote:... parked there for a couple of days, only to find when I got back, that both my rear tyres had been let down.. :lol:

Wow, that's incredibly irresponsible of someone! What if you had no way of getting home? Actually, how did you get home?! :shock:

Och my pound shop foot pump pumped up one and a bit before it gave out, then I had to put the spacesaver on for the couple of miles to the garage in Braemar, where they have handy free air, even whilst closed :D
Just a faff really...
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Circles » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm

They sound ok...1-2 poon as the lass on the Train to Edinburgh called it...The Lakes are eyewateringly expensive...had to ring my bank manager to see if I could park up to do a walk earlier in the year as a weekends parking is ridiculous...no wonder so many ar*es park up illegially blocking roads
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Was up Schiehallion last week, which was nearly full up and the charge was £2, there was a woman sitting in a white van waiting to swoop on non paying offenders!

Re Succoth you can park further to the east, but add 1km to your walk.

Kinlochleven is free too.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 pm

chickadee wrote:
cmarcol wrote:
chickadee wrote:On the subject of parking tickets, if it's from the council you do have to pay but if it's one of those rip-off shop/supermarkets ones then don't bother. This happened to me last year. They have no business charging and if you ignore their stupid letters they'll go away eventually. Just my tip for the future! :D

Be careful of that assumption! Some will pursue you (likely at huge cost to them). Lidl being the famous one where I used to live.

Oh they will but you ignore them and they go away. Most of them have no leg to stand on in Scotland because there's no proper appeal system here. The one that tried it with me sent two entirely fake letters from two 'debt collection agencies'. I'm not saying they won't give it a proper go, but as long as they don't know who the driver was they can't really do anything. (My experience has made me want to make sure they don't scam anyone else!)

Totally agree re LIDL and other private car parking areas - quite appalling process of bullying and intimidation, best ignored most of the time. As Chickadee said (as opposed to recent changes in England/Wales) in Scotland it is still the PPC's responsibility to prove who was actually driving. However, the Forestry Commission issue may be different. Forestry Commission Scotland is a government agency operating under bye law 1982 (I think) which gives it permission to seek payments from individuals in car parks. A bye-law may have a statutory basis similar to LA and Police, rather than a civil contract based upon conditions and signage in a private car park. NTS contributions are one thing but you may need a bit of clarification of the legal basis of Forestry Commission bye laws before refusing to pay any charges.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:56 pm

I parked up at the Dalmunzie hotel when I did Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor last summer. The information I had was to pay a couple of quid at the hotel reception and give them your reg no. However, when I turned up it was 7.30a.m., and the only person around was the young, spotty commis chef. You could tell he hadn’t a clue what I was on about, but he was still keen to take my money off me! I deferred and said I’d pay at reception at the end of the day when I got back to my car.

When I returned in the early evening, there was a wedding reception going full pelt, and the staff were no-where to be seen. So after a couple of minutes traipsing round in muddy boots and smelling like one of Caberfeidh’s socks, I decided that retreat was the best option.

Note to self: I.O the Dalmunzie £2
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:I parked up at the Dalmunzie hotel when I did Glas Tulaichean, Carn an Righ and Beinn Iutharn Mhor last summer. The information I had was to pay a couple of quid at the hotel reception and give them your reg no. However, when I turned up it was 7.30a.m., and the only person around was the young, spotty commis chef. You could tell he hadn’t a clue what I was on about, but he was still keen to take my money off me! I deferred and said I’d pay at reception at the end of the day when I got back to my car.

When I returned in the early evening, there was a wedding reception going full pelt, and the staff were no-where to be seen. So after a couple of minutes traipsing round in muddy boots and smelling like one of Caberfeidh’s socks, I decided that retreat was the best option.

Note to self: I.O the Dalmunzie £2

Make that £2.50 to reflect the 2014 increase in parking charges :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Many of the car park charges are voluntary and you can choose to ignore them if you desire. It is highly unlikely that they would progress any non-payment.

I found parking in Rothiemurchus to be the worst. Had to pay per car occupant rather than per car.
foggieclimber

Postby Joshm » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:50 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Many of the car park charges are voluntary and you can choose to ignore them if you desire. It is highly unlikely that they would progress any non-payment.

I found parking in Rothiemurchus to be the worst. Had to pay per car occupant rather than per car.

That sounds totally counter intuitive to me. Surely it's better to make it attractive for people to car share as much as possible. Not just from an environmental point of view but also from the point of view of physical space in the car park at peak times of year.

Not that I'm doubting what you're saying, more just agreeing with you that it's very poor
Joshm
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Many of the car park charges are voluntary and you can choose to ignore them if you desire. It is highly unlikely that they would progress any non-payment.

Hard to avoid that one, since there's a guy sitting in a kiosk at the gate. I walked there recently on the way back from Glen Einich to avoid paying.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jupe1407 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:12 am

I'm pretty sure I've only coughed up at the Muick and Doll car parks. We had to squeeze half onto a verge/rough bit at Braes of Foss thanks to some tool in a van managing to occupy almost 3 spaces on a busy day, so didn't bother paying.

Rule of thumb for me, if there are no "facilities", it's not worth the fee.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion