walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Pay Car Parks

Pay Car Parks

Postby OpenC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:31 pm

I had a quick look but couldn't see if this had been done before. Which car parks serving popular hills are ones you have to pay for? There aren't that many in Scotland (or, at least, there don't seem to be) but more than once I've had to change plans for the day due to lack of change, hence the thread :)

The Ben Nevis one is an obvious one. The Sugar Bowl on the way to Cairn Gorm is another (that one's caught me out before). I can't remember whether Ben Lawers Visitor Centre now is or now isn't, I can just remember that it's changed in the last two or three years. Cairn Gorm ski centre is donations now.

Specifically, I'm planning on (finally) ticking off Schiehallion tomorrow and wasn't sure if Braes of Foss was a pay park or not? However: if there are other car parks that people can think of which you have to pay to park in, list them here :) They'll be useful for me, and maybe for other folk too :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Re: Pay Car Parks

Postby OpenC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:35 pm

Ooops, just found the Braes of Foss website :) £2 for the whole day, apparently.

Thread might still be useful, though. Post up the car parks you have to pay for :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby StevieC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Mayar/Driesh - £2 I think
Ben Venue/Ben A'an - £3
Succoth car parks for the Arrochar Alps - don't know the price
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby cmarcol » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Glen Doll has a pay per visit metre too! Sure it's £2 as well.

The carpark at Linn of Dee also has a charge but it's per day. I've only ever gone there for multi day trips and refuse to put a ticket advertising how many days my car is going to be left unattended in my window!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Lochnagarr £2

Tolmount & Tom Bhudie from Glen Callater £2

Ben Avon & Beinn a Bhuird from Invercauld walkers carpark £2

Ben A"an in the Trossachs £2
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby OpenC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Wow, a lot of these would have caught me out and are on my list as day walks from where I live (irritating to drive four hours then not be able to park due to spending change on a bag of humbugs for the car). I must've just been lucky with mostly free Munro bagging so far :)

Keep them coming :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby simon-b » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 pm

There's a charge at Rowardennan for Ben Lomond. Alternative starts with free parking for some of the hills mentioned already are Linn of Quoich for Beinn a' Bhuird and Ben Avon, and Inveruglas for the Arrochar Alps.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby OpenC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Do they get more free (if you see what i mean) the further North you go? I can't think of a pay car park north of the Great Glen. If the one at the foot of Beinn Alligin / Coire Mhic Nobuil was in England, it would cost £5 an hour :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby ceegee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:29 pm

simon-b wrote:There's a charge at Rowardennan for Ben Lomond. Alternative starts with free parking for some of the hills mentioned already are Linn of Quoich for Beinn a' Bhuird and Ben Avon, and Inveruglas for the Arrochar Alps.

As far as I'm aware the loch edge spaces at Rowardennan are owned by the hotel and are free, There used to be a sign stating this but I noticed last Saturday it has been removed.
ceegee

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby OpenC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:40 pm

What about Creag Meagaidh and the one just South of Ullapool, the name of which I forget but is good for Seana Braigh? Also interested in Inchnadamph and the main car parks for Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck, if anyone can assist :)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 pm

OpenC wrote:What about Creag Meagaidh and the one just South of Ullapool, the name of which I forget but is good for Seana Braigh? Also interested in Inchnadamph and the main car parks for Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck, if anyone can assist :)

No charges for any of those, however it is 10years since I did Hope & Klibreck :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:07 pm

OpenC wrote:... but more than once I've had to change plans for the day due to lack of change, hence the thread :)

I've been in that situation before and decided to go ahead anyway. I agree with the parking charges in these places since it aids convenience greatly and if there are toilets then I definitely don't grudge a couple of pounds for that however I reckon it is unreasonable to expect someone to write off an entire trip just because they don't have change on them.

If I did come back to a ticket on my window I'd explain this to them and offer to pay the original charge but simply refuse the full £30 or whatever it is they try charging. Anyone any thoughts or would do the same?

And has anyone ever actually got a ticket for not paying at one of these places?
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby PerthAlly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Succoth was £1 if I remember

Didn't see a machine at Inveruglas

Both visited this summer
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby StevieC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 pm

By the way the car park at Ben Venue takes cards!

Pretty fancy...except it didn't work.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby cmarcol » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:37 am

RyanfaeScotland wrote:If I did come back to a ticket on my window I'd explain this to them and offer to pay the original charge but simply refuse the full £30 or whatever it is they try charging. Anyone any thoughts or would do the same?

And has anyone ever actually got a ticket for not paying at one of these places?

Completely agree. My understanding is most of these places operate on an honesty policy. They know some don't pay but it's not worth the time effort or money to pursue it. Last time I did an overnighter at Linn of Dee I put the money in when I came back instead of before I set out. I'm sure I read that at that particular car park they estimate 10% don't pay. There was no mention of penalty income which suggests to me there is none.

There are occasions where I have been in your situation -Glen Doll always caught me out which is why I always remember it now but I went ahead anyway when I had no change. It's not like there is anywhere you can quickly nip into to split a note nearby!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion