walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Dearg, Tarf Hotel, An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir

Beinn Dearg, Tarf Hotel, An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Can you help with GPX route or a link to a walk report?

Have a plan for linking two longish walks by taking the dog on the train from Aviemore to Blair Atholl and walk over Beinn Dearg to the Tarf Hotel (bothy) for a night before heading out to the Linn of Dee over An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir.

Have looked for walk reports to help with my research but struggling to find any - perhaps you have seen one that would be helpful to me. The route will be in really wild country with no mobile phone signal for most of it, so want to be as well prepared as I possibly can be. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Thanks in advance.

H-l l
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Beinn Dearg, Tarf Hotel, An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhle

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 am

Tracks as far as Beinn Dearg, good luck beyond! :)

Seriously though, the ground is heather/grass/bog, there are no cliffs, makes everything really simple.

Looong track from the ruined lodge out to Linn of Dee, on a bike it felt long, but hell the quality of remoteness on those two Munros is stunning.

Bring gaiters, the heather clawing at the ankles gets annoying here more than anywhere else imo.

It can be easier to go over the tops of the gentle summit domes in this place, than thru the rivers between with thick heather - never experienced this anywhere else which is why I mention.

The isolation in the Tarf basin is fantastic - one of the genuinely humbling places of the Highlands in my experience. :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 pm

I attempted something similar-ish a few years ago. Might be of use, might not be :lol: - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6754
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:It can be easier to go over the tops of the gentle summit domes in this place, than thru the rivers between with thick heather - never experienced this anywhere else which is why I mention.

I would second this - and try to include Beinn Bhreac while you are there if you have any intention of completing the Corbetts - it a wee beggar to go back for!!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:50 pm

One the other hand, it would be easier to do Carn a' Chlamain instead of Beinn Dearg in this combination, and save Dearg for another day trip.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for the help folks - the walk report was a big help with the plans, and I agree, heading over the summits/tops a way better option than entering 'leg eating heather terrain' with river crossings galore!

Doubt I'll get the walk done this autumn, although if this w/e goes to plan and I get to the 141 mark in Glenlyon (stalking permitting), it could be a possibility to head to them before the Fisherfields in October holidays.

Feeling excited to be planning such things :D
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Postby Astronick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Not sure whether it's of any use to you but a few years ago I backpacked from Blair Atholl up to Aviemore. I went up Glen Tilt to Carn a' Chlamain, across to the Corbett of Beinn Mheadhonach and then to Beinn Dearg. From there I crossed the upper Tarf, went up Beinn Bhreac and then along the ridge to the two remote Munros before dropping northwest into Glen Geldie. From there your route would head east to the Linn of Dee but before that it would be along similar lines.

My report starts here (offsite, sadly) and you can download a GPX file from here.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Astronick wrote:Not sure whether it's of any use to you but a few years ago I backpacked from Blair Atholl up to Aviemore. I went up Glen Tilt to Carn a' Chlamain, across to the Corbett of Beinn Mheadhonach and then to Beinn Dearg. From there I crossed the upper Tarf, went up Beinn Bhreac and then along the ridge to the two remote Munros before dropping northwest into Glen Geldie. From there your route would head east to the Linn of Dee but before that it would be along similar lines.

My report starts here (offsite, sadly) and you can download a GPX file from here.

That is a HUGE help - think Carn a' Chlamain is the best way - plus the Corbetts, obviously. Many thanks :clap:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Postby Astronick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:52 am

Hill-loving lady wrote:That is a HUGE help - think Carn a' Chlamain is the best way - plus the Corbetts, obviously. Many thanks :clap:

No problem at all - glad to be of help. If you have any questions about the route just give me a shout. It's one of the best areas for backpacking so enjoy! :)
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion