walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

cycling and walking in Skye

cycling and walking in Skye

Postby Lavender » Wed May 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi,
I am hoping to be in Skye the first week (for 5 days) of July and I would like to do some cycling as well as hillwalking (for a fit but inexperienced hillwalker).
I have been looking at the different areas on Skye but i cant seem to decide what to do or where to go as a "base". I would like to camp and also use the hostels.
I liked the North area and thought it would be a good place to explore for a few days, but I thought maybe someone could give me some advice if they have done this sort of thing before.
I have sent away for my maps and also Chris Townsend book on walks on Skye.
Hope you can help with advice and ideas.
Lavender

cycling and walking

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:34 am

Hi there,

As you suggest, Trotternish in the north is great for cycling and also for walking, especially for the less experienced hillwalker - the hills are less daunting than the Cuillin but the landscape is very dramatic. There are a great number of walks in this area on this website. Staffin campsite is a great spot, as is the Dun Flodigarry hostel (great views) if you want to be indoors away from midges.

Will you also have a car, or are you planning on cycling to the start of the walks? The other option is to camp at Toravaig at Portree and use that as a base for longer cycling trips to different parts of the island on different days e.g. circuit round Trotternish, out to Dunvegan and back via Sligachan (good views on the Dunvegan to Sligachan road). You could then do walks on the other days using the buses, which centre on Portree. [/url]
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Lavender » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi,
many thanks for the reply.
Yes I will also have my car, so that does help quite a bit too.
I am looking at the campsite and hostel that you suggested and also possibly using Portree as a base for at least part of the week.
My book and maps have arrived, so with these and extra info from here I will get a reasonable "feel" for what I will do and where I will go - with plenty of flexibility of course for weather etc and also how I cope with it all.
Many thanks once again for your advice,
Lavender

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion