walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

fallen walker on Aonach Eagach

Re: fallen walker on Aonach Eagach

Postby summitchaser » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 pm

I agree with the rope scottjamie it would let first timers in the ridge to see where to go. Myself and my mate could not see a way over the pinnacles and although we had both read several times never to leave the crest we took it ad this path seemed so worn in and obviously well used that this it the way. That was enough for us we both turned around and headed back to am bodach, reading this tragedy doesn't fill me with confidence for my return. I will take a can of sprey paint and put an arrow on the first little pinnacle haha, all jokes aside this chicken run needs attention
summitchaser

Munros:29   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby coachmacca » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm not a fan of artificial guidance . The route is actually pretty straightforward IF you are comfortable with exposure and moving on rock.

I think the key is to upgrade some of the route descriptions that I have seen to make it clear it's not a WALK .. Not to frighten but just to highlight the reality and to highlight further not to try to skirt it.

The hills are natural. We choose to enjoy them but we shouldn't aim to control them . I know that's not what you suggest just stating my thoughts :?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Challum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 am

I believe I have used this grassy route on the north side three or four times (and not been happy). Trouble is the path leads you to the north side so one tends to just continue and then you have to go up the grassy slope. Next time I am there, I will make a point of keeping to the crest. As you say, much better grip and handholds.
Challum

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 am

Unsure if it's the same spot but my first attempt I took a 'bypass' which just ended. At the time it terrified me, I climbed straight up the face as opposed to returning. My pal was up top when I appeared, he commented that I was white as a sheet.
I've seen a party go off to the north side before, with young kids.
I guess when you see a path you'll take a look and experienced or not, tragedy can strike.
Many guide books on the AE emphasise that there is only one way, but as with so many routes, small detours around an odd pinnacle or face are often found.
We have all slipped or tripped numerous times and there for the grace of god goes anyone of us.
All we can do is reflect, and that together with our thoughts for the friends and family at such a tragic time.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:46 am

It's always sad to hear of any death on the hills, but routes like Aonach Eagach should be left until some experience of scrambling and a head for heights has been achieved. All decent guide books make it clear it isn't a walk and that scrambling will be necessary.
I did this route twice in a month and at first I was terrified, but soon realised that hands and feet on sound rock is much safer than either on grass or loose gravel.
I had to climb around a walker who was hanging onto the first pinnacle and who refused to budge until his mate returned with a rope. He admitted that his mate had persuaded him to go even though he himself had never scrambled before, but they both wanted to tick off the Munros.
Personally, I think this is a fine route and a great and exhilarating day out that would be ruined by signs, marks or ropes placed on the mountain. Maybe a photograph or two of the narrowest parts, pinned to a board at the roadside start point might be enough to deter those that might be over-confident or unsure.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby summitchaser » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 pm

I don't see what harm a guide rope or wire would do I mean there is 1 across the road at the foot of the hidden valley and that's not exactly a narrow ridge or exposed pinnacles, you can help people getting a shock when the seen the pinnacles and the first thing you look for is a path lol because you can't see one leading you over the crest but you defo see one leading to the north side
summitchaser

Munros:29   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby petemerrick » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:43 pm

The fallen walker was a friend of mine and I know her family would appreciate any first-hand information. If you would be willing to be put in contact with them then please PM. Many thanks.
petemerrick

Postby coachmacca » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Have PM'd you Peter
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby helenw » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 am

helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 pm

coachmacca wrote:I'm not a fan of artificial guidance . The route is actually pretty straightforward IF you are comfortable with exposure and moving on rock.

I agree fully that no 'aids' should be fixed and I did not intend to advocate a fixed rope. The pinnacle I am referring to has a steep downclimb. Two groups struggled with it when I was there and the deployment of a sling/short rope carried by a leader (as has been used on Am Basteir) would have provided reassurance for some. Agree that experience of scrambling and exposure are the key requirements, and even, we all know such sad things will happen.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby coachmacca » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Ah maybe misunderstood, if it's protection carried and used them cleaned of that's fine :)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby DivvyBoy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Oh jeez I did The Pap Of Glencoe that Saturday and saw the helicopter buzzing about over the ridge and had a thought to myself that I hoped it was a training exercise and not on an emergency, Sadly after reading this I now know that it wasn't a training exercise. How sad that someone has lost their life doing something they love, Obviously my heart goes out to the persons family and the MRT involved, Gives us all a reminder that safety is paramount out on the hills,
Stay safe out there folks.
DivvyBoy

Corbetts:1

Postby LucasHarris97 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

To coachmacca

Im the grandson of the climber who died on Glencoe's Aonach Eagach on the 25th of September 2014. I would like to know anything you can remember from that day, I know it was probably quite a traumatic experience for you and I can understand If you don't want to. My contact email address is lucasharris12@yahoo
I really hope you see this post.

Thank you

From Lucas
LucasHarris97
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:06 pm

LucasHarris97 wrote:To coachmacca

Im the grandson of the climber who died on Glencoe's Aonach Eagach on the 25th of September 2014. I would like to know anything you can remember from that day, I know it was probably quite a traumatic experience for you and I can understand If you don't want to. My contact email address is lucasharris12@yahoo
I really hope you see this post.

Thank you

From Lucas

Hi Lucas

Looking at their profile, it seems coachmacca hasn't been on the website since October. It might be worth sending them a PM through the site, hopefully they'll get that via their e-mail. You may have to make another post or two before you can send PMs.

I hope you can find the information you want, it can help to understand such tragedies a little more.

Mal
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

this is very sad
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion