walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben vorlich at Loch Earn

Ben vorlich at Loch Earn

Postby sonic » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi folks,
Thinking of doing Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin on Tuesday coming.
I am wondering if anyone can tell me how hard Stuc a Chroin is in comparison to Vorlich as I have
read a few reports that claim it to be a really hard climb.
Also wondering about stag shooting in this area as well and if we are likely to expect any access issues

Thanks Sonic :?
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Re: Ben vorlich at Loch Earn

Postby Helz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 am

You can either clamber up the rocky route to the left or slip and slide up the path to the right as you head up Stuc a Chroin. It's steep either way but not dangerous. Have a look at reports for pictures and descriptions.

Can't help with the access question I'm afraid as I've not been later in the year.
Helz
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Donalds:5
Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:214   

Postby sonic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:41 am

Hi Helz thank you for the reply would you attempt it in bad weather or would you give it a miss for another day if the weather is a bit dodgy?
sonic
Mountaineer

Postby cooperjamie1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 am

sonic wrote:
Also wondering about stag shooting in this area as well and if we are likely to expect any access issues

Thanks Sonic :?

Hi Sonic

There are a couple of websites which give info on where and when stalking is taking place but I don't think they are always up to date. This site won't let me post the link so just Google 'Heading For The Scottish Hills'

I think your best bet is to contact the estate that your heading to.

Drummond Estate - 01764 681 257

Ardvorlich Estate - 01567 830 335

Not sure which one of these estates handles stalking on the south side of Loch Earn but you can try both.

Enjoy your walk :D
cooperjamie1
Munro compleatist

Munros:101   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Handknittedbagger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I climbed both a few weeks ago. Ben Vorlich was pretty straight forward, however, we took the softies route on the right of the corrie up Stuc a'Chroin as we had the dog with us and we were unsure of how much scrambling was required on the other route. The climb was steep and the footing on the path a bit dodgy and steep in places. The ascent was ok, but you had to have your wits about you on the descent as the path, where steep, is often gravely too and slipping is always a danger. Was a nice day when we climbed and i would be wary of that path in the wet.

I am not a greatly experienced climber, but did feel it required care on the descent.
Handknittedbagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   

Postby dannymarsh2008 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Not having took the rockier route on the right up Stuc I can't compare, however, the more obvious path route on the left as you approach from Ben Vorlich is quite steep and a bit scrambly but nothing to be worried about. It looks worse from the bottom looking up than it does while you're doing it.

The descent (the same way) I would imagine would need to be carefully done in slippy conditions perhaps but again, it perhaps looks worse than it is.
dannymarsh2008
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby sonic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi people thanks for the replies, completed the walk today and really enjoyed it, some cracking views. The scramble up stuc a chroin although steep was pretty straightforward although we went round the east side of the face and never scrambled up the rock. We returned back down the rocky face and think if I was to do this again I would prefer to go straight up the face as it wasn't so bad going down it.
As for the deer issue we saw about five in total and they were so far away it was hard to make them out.
Thanks again
Sonic :D
sonic
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion