walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aonach Eagach- safe next week?

Aonach Eagach- safe next week?

Postby jamma1312 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:16 am

Hello all,

My friend and I are planning to do the famous ridge sometime next week, but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific info about conditions up there. From what I read and have seen it appears that snow hasn't really moved in on any of the hills yet, is this accurate? Is Aonach Eagach still relatively safe at this time of year?
Another quick question on this walk: he wants to bring his dog but from everything that I've read this seems a very bad idea. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks in advance.
jamma1312
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Re: Aonach Eagach- safe next week?

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:02 am

There's no way I would risk my dog on a route like that. The ridge is easy enough in dry sunny conditions, but at this time of year the rock is more than likely to be a bit greasy and as it's a route that relies on good hand and foot holds, you should allow plenty of time so that you can take care. I last did the Aonach Eagach in Summer 1990 and the rock was good and grippy, but I would imagine that it's a lot more worn and polished now. At this time of year there's always a chance that the temperature can fall and it can become icy.
It's a great route, go well equipped ,allow yourself plenty of time and be careful.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby OpenC » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:16 am

I never take my dogs on routes like that: while they could probably manage OK (probably better than me), I always think about potentially running into somebody who's already nervous and doesn't like dogs half way along, which could end up in a horrific situation.

Just irresponsible to take dogs on narrow ridges imo, but that's just my £0.02.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:40 am

It's probably been done a lot, but taking a dog up there would be a bit of an un-necessary risk IMO. Surely it'd have to be carried up the Chimney section for a start, not to mention the pain in the backside descent off Am Bodach.

The ridge itself is absolutely brilliant, but on a dry day. I'd be less than keen to tackle it in icy or wet conditions.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:49 am

As everyone has said above not a ridge to be taking your dog just a risk not worth taking,and if I am honest you don't seem by looking at your Munro count that experienced,maybe best left till next summer and then go and enjoy
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Tinto63 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Leaving aside the dog issue I tend to agree with GLW, you would probably be better leaving it until next summer. I note that sunrise in Fort William today is 0732 and sunset 1635, and decreasing by 4 minutes a day. This gives you about 9 hours of daylight. Although many people complete the route a lot faster than this, and night time crossings are not unknown, in poor weather conditions it could well take you all of daylight and more.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Scott69 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 am

You need to understand the seriousness of the route at this time of year and (forgive me if I'm wrong ) I wonder if the dog talk means you don't really grasp what it can entail.

I would suggest that a tad of inexperience coupled with wet or potentially iced up conditions and taking a pet across would not be the best of ideas.

Do something else and leave this till the summer, and still dog free.
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Shug » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:36 am

Freezing level is regularly below the summits now. There's a pretty good chance it will be frosty/icy if not some snow, which is forecast for the weekend. (tho how often are mountain forecasts actually accurate?)
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby IamAJMiller » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 pm

A friend of mine did it with a dog and said they would never take a dog on it again. On top of that it was mid summer, on a glorious day and he had quite a bit of experience. He said it took two of them to haul the dog up the chimney section and the dog was quite frightened for a good part of it. My personal opinion is it would be a bad idea.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:49 pm

I take you have read various reports and looked at the pictures why the hell would you want to take a dog on a very narrow ridge with some tricky moves,cruelty to animals rings a bell.
Bad enough getting yourself across the ridge, some people should count to ten then rethink.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Plan to be in Glencoe this coming weekend, so a weather/snow/temp update will follow :wink:

I think the question about dogs on AE has been discussed :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby rambler » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 pm

jamma1312 wrote:Another quick question on this walk: he wants to bring his dog but from everything that I've read this seems a very bad idea. Am I correct in assuming this?

If I were the OP I doubt I'd come back here for advice

The posts have become successively more scathing and personal

In the absence of evidence to the contrary perhaps some credence should be given to the OP when he says that it is his friend who wants to take the dog and he thinks it is a bad idea.

Giant Stoneater wrote:... some people should count to ten then rethink.

Do you practice what you preach?
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 am

rambler wrote:
jamma1312 wrote:Another quick question on this walk: he wants to bring his dog but from everything that I've read this seems a very bad idea. Am I correct in assuming this?

If I were the OP I doubt I'd come back here for advice

The posts have become successively more scathing and personal

In the absence of evidence to the contrary perhaps some credence should be given to the OP when he says that it is his friend who wants to take the dog and he thinks it is a bad idea.

Giant Stoneater wrote:... some people should count to ten then rethink.

Do you practice what you preach?

By the time I count to ten the damage is down.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gaffr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Hello,
The person who asked the question has not ever bothered to get back to the forum....maybe after all this was a bit of mischief?
When I first read the the post I thought that....I should have replied with this at the time :) ......If you have to ask that type of question you perhaps should not going anywhere near such a place. Especially so at this time of year when conditions can change almost by the hour. :)
Travel safely on the hills.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Wok de dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Jamma,
I think taking my dog Munro-bagging is twice as pleasurable as with-out and to be honest I wish I could take him to work with me too. I have never walked the AE but it certainly sounds like I will not be taking my dog when I do. Usually the more experienced walkers on here are happy to advise the less experienced of us without being aggressive. If you have any more questions you should turn the other cheek and hopefully someone will be helpful.
Stay lucky.
Wok de dog
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion