walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dog Jackets.

Dog Jackets.

Postby man in black » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:03 pm

As the winter is now upon us, I am looking for a good water proof,wind proof coat for my young choco lab. Nothing to break the bank either. We're usually in the Sidlaws or foot hills of Angus so nothing extreme. Any suggestions? Ta.
man in black
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   

Re: Dog Jackets.

Postby madasa mongoose » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi, I'd recommended this dog jacket if your dog has a thick coat and doesn't need extra insulation:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274366

Lightweight, waterproof and covers most of the bits that get muddy! Also stays in place well with plenty of room for active pooches :)
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby electricfly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 pm

I've always used Outhwaites waterproof/padded coats for my springers. They have been so robust that my pups got their parents coats as hand-me-downs and are still in such good condition that they will easily tailor a third generation of spaniels should they arrive! :shock:

http://www.ropemakers.com/reflective.asp
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby fowlersworld » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi man in black if its a chocolate lab you have trust me it will not need a coat unless its missing its secondary under coat and the best way of keeping them waterproof is don't use shampoos on the coat as this will remover ther oils that keep them dry.
Not meaning to sound rude but last time i seen someone with a dog coat it was to tight and overloaded :crazy:
fowlersworld
Munro compleatist

Munros:63   Corbetts:4
Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

fowlersworld wrote:Hi man in black if its a chocolate lab you have trust me it will not need a coat unless its missing its secondary under coat and the best way of keeping them waterproof is don't use shampoos on the coat as this will remover ther oils that keep them dry.

That's pretty much what the vet told me when I had my golden retriever. His advice was to have him sleep in a cool or cold place so that he retained his naturally wind and waterproof coat and, as you say don't wash the natural oils out. The farmers don't have coats for their sheepdogs & they're out in all weathers.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:31 am

When I had my collie I did get him a fluorescent waterproof coat for dark winter days out on the hills - made a difference with spotting him when he went off for short investigative wanders. This had a fleecey underside and was useful for bitterly cold days with driving sleet. Can't remember where I got it from but there's plenty on the web

ImageFinn at the top by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby CharlesT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Always thought most dogs come well-equipped with a nice fur coat which appeared to be quite weatherproof in the breeds I owned - Springers, Cockers, Cairn and Norfolk Terriers. All slept in outdoor kennels and had great winter coats. One of my daughters has Scotties with coats like doormats, one of which insists on sleeping outdoors in all weathers.

Are dog coats really necessary?
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:50 pm

CharlesT wrote:Always thought most dogs come well-equipped with a nice fur coat which appeared to be quite weatherproof in the breeds I owned - Springers, Cockers, Cairn and Norfolk Terriers. All slept in outdoor kennels and had great winter coats. One of my daughters has Scotties with coats like doormats, one of which insists on sleeping outdoors in all weathers.

Are dog coats really necessary?

Are dog coats really necessary? - It depends I guess. If a working dog is used to sleeping in outdoor kennels or unheated outbuildings, as mine was, then the dog should never need any other protection. However, if a dog is a house dog and used to constant warmth, then it will never grow its winter coat as it should and will probably feel the cold as much we would.
Friends and work colleagues used to accuse me of cruelty for having my dog sleep in a kennel in an outbuilding, but he grew a luxuriant thick coat every winter and still lived to a good old age.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby electricfly » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm

While I agree with what's been said regarding a dog's own natural coat (especially the shampooing part!), I still feel that there are certain circumstances where wearing a weatherproof dog jacket contributes to a more comfortable day on the Scottish hills in Winter.

If you're venturing onto the Cairngorm plateaux or other high altitude un-sheltered areas where the wind chill drives the temp into minus double figures, you notice the difference. :shock:

At low level, even in heavy downpours etc, I don't bother with dog jackets. Our lot usually end up going for a dip in any available pools anyway! :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby CharlesT » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 am

electricfly wrote:Our lot usually end up going for a dip in any available pools anyway! :lol:

Quite. You try keeping a Norfolk Terrier out of any water it comes across whatever its temperature. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby tweedledog » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Are dog coats necessary on the winter hills? Yes, for some dogs. Whippets, for instance, are skinny, short-haired, and have little or no layer of fat. And if they're like mine they are soft too :wink:
Labs, on the other hand, are well equipped.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion