walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Why does this website only list Mountains and not Tops.

Why does this website only list Mountains and not Tops.

Postby timstobart » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Is it just me, or is the practice of bagging just the summit, and not taking in the outlying tops a half hearted way of walking the Munro's?

I find it incredibly frustrating that all the guide books, and often websites focus on the 282 mountains while ignoring the often more interesting further 237 tops. Given a choice I would also list any hill or top that has historically been listed, to give people an excuse to get out onto them, as surely that's what people are looking for.

So my question/point is, do people share my views, or am I in a minority for thinking that the tops are worthy of much greater attention?
timstobart
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:26   Islands:34

Re: Why does this website only list Mountains and not Tops.

Postby Moriarty » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm

timstobart wrote:So my question/point is, do people share my views, or am I in a minority for thinking that the tops are worthy of much greater attention?

Some people share your views and yes.....you are in a minority.

....but that's not to say you don't have a point which seems to be missed by the Hoi Polloi. :wink:

As an additional point....do you really want the majority to join you on those interesting outliers? Or is their relative peace and quiet not one of the things that lends them character?
Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 pm

RTC wrote:2. Maintaining a website such as this one must be a big task. Perhaps adding the Munro tops might be too difficult. I could be totally wrong here, as I know nothing about running a website.

This website is very customer/commercially orientated.....if the market was there I'm sure the product would be offered.

I'd say the fact that Munro tops are not covered here is a barometer of where they stand in the Scottish hillwalking financial market.
Moriarty

Postby Liebestoter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:27 pm

There are web sites out there that list all tops, even deleted Munro Tops.

Apart from the very long walks I always add extra tops on to the walks on this site, 76 Munro Tops and 25 deleted tops so far.

Some of the Munro Tops are a great addition to a walk. Meall Dearg/Northern Pinnacles on Liathach springs to mind. A nice bit of scrambling to get out there and back from Mullach an Rathain
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Postby Moriarty » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:05 am

RTC wrote:That a fair point but doesn't explain the low standing of Munro tops nowadays among hill walkers when it used to be the "done thing" to complete the tops as well as the Munros.

Not sure it was ever quite so popular.

Looking at the SMC list - of the first 500 munroists about 150 registered finishing the tops (30%).

Once up towards Munroist number 2000 it looks like about 10%.

After that it drops down further - perhaps about 5%?

Certainly a fashion of the past but never de rigeur.
Moriarty

Postby jmarkb » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Perhaps people find some of the more recently introduced lists (e.g. Grahams, Marilyns, both published in 1992, I think) more attractive objectives than the Tops, which arbitrarily defined, have been subject to even more promotion/demotion controversy than the main summits, often require out-and-back diversions from logical routes, and don't have the benefit of being good poor weather alternatives?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gaffr » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Well there is always a copy of the Munro's Tables, a 'trainspotters guide' to most of the elevated ones is what you need to search out the tops. :lol: Probably why most of them were/are rarely visited. :lol:
Image (35) (640x465).jpg
Munro's Tables....a couple of pages extract.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:53 am

I think Paul has mentioned before that the more lists there are, the more confusion is caused for some of the site's visitors.

Personally, I'd like to see the English and Welsh Sub-2000 Marilyns on the site as this would give those of us not fortunate enough to live in Munro Country some more trackable targets (as well as some curiosities to visit when others come down South.) Also this would just be an addition to an existing list rather than a new one.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:01 am

RTC wrote:...
2. Maintaining a website such as this one must be a big task.

Ha! Are you kidding, it's a breeze! Once every 4 years he has to move a hill from the Munro list to the Corbett list and 4 years later he has to move it back. The rest of the time is spent sipping pinacoladas and being fanned by big fijian women. ;) :D
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:51 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
RTC wrote:...
2. Maintaining a website such as this one must be a big task.

Ha! Are you kidding, it's a breeze! Once every 4 years he has to move a hill from the Munro list to the Corbett list and 4 years later he has to move it back. The rest of the time is spent sipping pinacoladas and being fanned by big fijian women. ;) :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brilliant!!
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rambler » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 pm

RTC wrote:I'm waiting now for the comments along the lines of "political correctness gone mad" and "Have you not got a sense of humour?"

:think: He was being offensive to one specific Fijian woman

Caberfeidh wrote:
magicdin wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Not quite on the same scale of serendipitously-precise footwear-related ethereal giftage, but one time I went through the Lairigh Gru and, footsore and manky-of-sock, I found a nice new pair of socks, lying on top of the heather as if placed there specially. Blue, and smelling as if newly-laundered. And they fit both my feet! It's always a bonus to find some useful thing whilst out in the hills.

And we all thought you had a peg leg :shock:

Nonsense.I am a fifty-stone Fijian woman.
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby CharlesT » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 am

RTC wrote:I reserve the right to sit on my moral high horse about the stereotyping of Fijian women as fat.

The morality, or otherwise, of horses is an interesting and little understood concept. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 am

It would be nice to have a list of Munro tops. Not that I intend to collect them, but I may have inadvertently wandered across a few. Armchair bagging is good way of filling in these short winter days.

CharlesT wrote:
RTC wrote:I reserve the right to sit on my moral high horse about the stereotyping of Fijian women as fat.

The morality, or otherwise, of horses is an interesting and little understood concept. :D

Only if you attribute to them the human attributes of being able to plan, regret and see other horses as having the same thoughts and feelings as them.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:36 am

I think the more a site focuses on maps rather than stories, the more likely it is to include the more obscure hills - if you have one main map. it gets more and more cluttered, and a Munro top map probably isn't much use if you can't combine it with the Munro one.

But I would like an English marilyns map. And an all-hills-that-aren't-marilyns one :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby madprof » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Fat? I assumed they meant tall/broad!

Anyway, adding stuff like Munro tops to this website would require a lot of writing. I imagine the easiest solution is to simply have an extra text box for each Munro listing the names of the tops, maybe with grid references.
I do not volunteer to enter in 1000+ lines of text and thus I'm not going to complain about it not being there. :wink:
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion