walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Canine hillgoers.

Canine hillgoers.

Postby gaffr » Sun May 23, 2010 11:25 am

Ar the risk of perhaps upsetting the hill folks that don't like having dogs around on the hills. Some dogs have legendary status in the hills.... the dog of HB, I think he was named Storm, maybe even did all of the Munros? and many others that appear in images on this site. Wilson, whose exploits we have got to know about recently, is obviously a dog for big journeys....is strong and still growing by the looks of things from the pictures posted. My dog was the runt of the litter and never grew much at all but was a hardy companion in the hills.
Wilf at Fords of A'an 1994.jpg
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Canine hillgoers.

Postby Milesy » Sun May 23, 2010 3:56 pm

I get my dog in a few weeks and I look forward to being able to take her out on the hills.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby BethAtTheHug » Sun May 23, 2010 4:34 pm

This is Jake on the way to Suilven last year...

think he might be having fun. I love seeing, and saying hello, to nice dogs in the hills.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby IainG » Sun May 23, 2010 7:17 pm

My Springer, Molly, on An Stuc..

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby billymck » Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Love meeting dogs on the hills, often heps with initial contact.
Attachments
New Camera 087.jpg
mac enjoying a day on the hills
billymck
Mountaineer

Munros:22   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 pm

My walking companion, Wes.
Attachments
Wes.JPG
fedupofuserids

Postby kerrera » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 pm

gaffr wrote: My dog was the runt of the litter and never grew much at all but was a hardy companion in the hills.

Your dog looks like mine. Mine is a collie/spaniel cross. She has those splayed leg things at the back as well. Disguised as a hairy baby kangaroo.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Milesy » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 pm

This is my puppy I am getting. The wee cream one in the centre! Three weeks to go!
Attachments
puppy.jpg
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby davetherave » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

gaffr wrote:Wilson, whose exploits we have got to know about recently, is obviously a dog for big journeys....is strong and still growing by the looks of things from the pictures posted.

Gaffr ,
Your abservation is spot on. He is only 2 1/2 half years old, and he is gaining more stanima on the hills with each outing.
His first munro was my first munro........ The wife and i have now caught the bug. Below is a pick of him about to ascend Creag Mhor from Beinn Heasgarnich part of our 50km wild camp exploits in the Orchy hills this weekend past. Report to follow sometime soon.

wilson.JPG
scruff Dog
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby gaffr » Tue May 25, 2010 7:48 am

Well, they all do look interested at being in high places. I acquired our pouche after she was brought home by our daughter and I was left as the 'keeper' when she went to the university in Glasgow.
I reckon that the key is to keep them quite close at all times and especially at the time when the ground nesting birds are active....with hares she had no chance.... they just ran her around in circles until she got fed up and then she just stopped ever being interested. We had one meeting with the reindeer on the great moss, many years ago, but after the group put the heads down and squared-up she immediately got the message not to bother them. It's always been a concern regarding the wildlife on the hills when the canines are around.
Milesy how do you make a choice from that little group of beauties? They kind of look like 'pukka' dogs...will they turn out something like a Beardie? I don't have a big knowledge of dog breeds but you do see a large range of animals out on journeys with their keepers, all well behaved, and with exotic names originating from all over the continent, when I ask about the type of breed.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 25, 2010 10:12 am

I know a bloke who's alsation carries its own rucksack made from modified bicycle panniers. Another friend was in a bothy in the Cairngorms one winter night when a bloke arrived carrying his wee sheltie which had collapsed after walking through knee-deep snow all day. The poor wee dog died that evening to the distress of all present. Remember your wee furry friends cannot take the punishment that we can. :(
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 am

thats a shame.

Met this dog with his own pack on the top of Mount Charleston in the states.
Attachments
DCP_3013.jpg
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby davidmhodgey » Tue May 25, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm so jealous. I really miss having a dog and would love the company when out running in the evening or up mountains on weekends. It's not really fair to leave a dog at home when you're at work 8-6 though.
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby ArtyScot » Tue May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Bouncer, not the toughest name, is a natural and has kept me going on many a long slog.
Attachments
16052010198.JPG
Bouncer not best pleased at having to pose
ArtyScot
Rambler

Munros:13   

Postby Shoogles » Tue May 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Before.jpg

After.jpg

The wee dog can do anything I can do.She just can't do it 2 days in a row. :D
Shoogles
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion