walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Schiehallion parking

Schiehallion parking

Postby Riverman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 am

Is the car park on the B road at Brae of Foss easily accessed at this time of year by non 4wd vehicles? Planning to climb Schiehallion on Friday.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Re: Schiehallion parking

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:08 am

The roads are really bad today with many blocked. I suspect the road you are talking about is not a priority or the snow ploughs. So keep an eye on the weather. Radio Scotland do a bulletins so keep an eye on these and have a wee back up just in case. Enjoy.

Calum
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:59 am

The road there is likely to be iced up, car parking difficult even for a 4x4. The weather forecast is terrible with strong winds and sleet/snow with conditions for the hills very poor indeed. The sleet will soak through your clothing and the wind will chill you to the bone. Looks like Schiehallion should be put off til days of clear blue skies and frostyness. Try somewhere lower, easier of access and with a nice pub to have soup in afterwards. Perhaps the Lost Valley of Glen Coe? Or just a low level wander at Loch Rannoch, Tummel or Tay...
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1424649600
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 am

Caberfeidh wrote:The road there is likely to be iced up, car parking difficult even for a 4x4. The weather forecast is terrible with strong winds and sleet/snow with conditions for the hills very poor indeed. The sleet will soak through your clothing and the wind will chill you to the bone. Looks like Schiehallion should be put off til days of clear blue skies and frostyness. Try somewhere lower, easier of access and with a nice pub to have soup in afterwards. Perhaps the Lost Valley of Glen Coe? Or just a low level wander at Loch Rannoch, Tummel or Tay...

Do you have a standard forum posting template for any time other than when the weather is perfect? :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:04 pm

malky_c wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:The road there is likely to be iced up, car parking difficult even for a 4x4. The weather forecast is terrible with strong winds and sleet/snow with conditions for the hills very poor indeed. The sleet will soak through your clothing and the wind will chill you to the bone. Looks like Schiehallion should be put off til days of clear blue skies and frostyness. Try somewhere lower, easier of access and with a nice pub to have soup in afterwards. Perhaps the Lost Valley of Glen Coe? Or just a low level wander at Loch Rannoch, Tummel or Tay...

Do you have a standard forum posting template for any time other than when the weather is perfect? :wink:

I think that Caberfeidh is trying to say you should wear trousers instead of your customary shorts malky....everyone else should heed the forecast. Riverman will get another go, it isn't as if Schielhallion is next door to Raqqa
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Riverman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:15 pm

The Norwegian met office paint a rosier weather picture for Friday. Admitedly the weekend looks unpleasant with some heavy precipitation. Anyhow, if access routes are tricky that sort of makes the decision for me. Will keep an eye on things.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Schichallion/long.html
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Sgurr wrote:
malky_c wrote:

I think that Caberfeidh is trying to say you should wear trousers instead of your customary shorts malky....everyone else should heed the forecast. Riverman will get another go, it isn't as if Schielhallion is next door to Raqqa

Well indeed, but I wouldn't waste too much time speculating on the weather this far in advance. I doubt it is going to be particularly great, but beyond that, I'd leave my decisions until a day or two beforehand (even the road conditions - it snowed heavily here overnight, but most of it will have melted by this afternoon I reckon. But then it could be worse again by the end of the week. Who knows?).
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:32 pm

malky_c wrote: it snowed heavily here overnight, but most of it will have melted by this afternoon I reckon. But then it could be worse again by the end of the week. Who knows?).

In the tropical Kingdom of Fife we haven't had a single flake yet - and the motorway gantries are warning of doom :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:45 pm

I agree that it is almost pointless looking so far ahead.

e.g.The weather forecast , Kinlochhourn the nearest I could get to Barisdale one May day was

Actual weather
Sunday, drove to Kinlochhourn in perpetual rain, which lifted enough for a couple to climb a bit up the hill in the afternoon
Monday, we walked in the rain, but the day was a wash out, we were too worried to attempt river crossing
Tuesday Overcast in the morning with a light shower or two, much heavier near constant showers in the afternoon
Wednesday, The odd shower and bursts of sunshine
Thursday The odd shower and bursts of sunshine, river level back to normal

The Norwegians got the wind more or less spot on throughout
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Caberfeidh wrote: The sleet will soak through your clothing and the wind will chill you to the bone.

welcome to Scotland :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 pm

We are in Killin,Loch Tay and this morning there was about 1 to two inches of snow.went for a walk along cycle path and the snow was about 4 inches deep,forecast was for more snow overnight,the hills look plastered in the stuff.
Parking, depends on which road you use to access the car park,wouldn't be put off till nearer the time.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby hailiamdigby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I did Schiehallion a couple of weekends ago and there was what was left of the dumpings of snow there have been over the past month, or so.

What I noticed was that - despite the snow on the sides of the roads - the road that leads to the car park you've mentioned was nicely ploughed.

I had guessed this was perhaps because the council know it's a road that's used a lot by people going up Schiehallion, for their various reasons.

I'm guessing it could be similar to how the road leading in to Glen Muick is kept pretty snow-free, even when there's a butt-load of snow at the sides of the roads and on the hills themselves.

I have to add that I don't own a 4x4.
hailiamdigby
Mountain Walker

Munros:221   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:47
Sub 2000:173   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion