walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

May trip: help me decide...?

May trip: help me decide...?

Postby chickadee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm planning another solo adventure trip in May. I've got a week off work and a nice new car to ruin by driving all over the country. I'm caught between two options (I've narrowed them down to two, but am open to others if anyone has a good suggestion) and would like opinions because I am nothing if not indecisive. Also going alone means I have no one else to consult and take into account!

1. Go to the Western Isles and do some of the hills and explore the coast and beaches. There are no Munros of course but the landscape (seascape?) looks incredible and I've never been. I love islands around Scotland but I don't like long ferry crossings... but I'd have to do that eventually if I ever want to go!

2. Just find a route to go on in the west of the mainland and do Munros over the week. I want to up my tally this year (not obsessive about it but it's a good aim for me to have) and a week would be a nice length of time to have rest days and do groups of hills if possible. Main issue with this is my fitness might not be up to it given that I've been out of action since October but even if I didn't do loads, I could tick a few off.

All very vague, I know, but there you go, it's early stages of planning! I'd appreciate any suggestions and views on week-long trips I can do on my own which involve hills... I'm looking forward to it already and crossing my fingers for the same lovely weather I usually get in May...
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: May trip: help me decide...?

Postby Sgurr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:37 pm

If you are feeling a bit iffy about your fitness, Lewis and Harris would be good. If you feel strong you can do Clisham or some of the neighbouring Grahams, and if less so, the Marylins. You feel you have achieved something, views across the beaches are great and you only have to catch a ferry to Tarbet and drive either way to the hills, so a bit of driving but not too much and not too many ferries. If you want to ring the changes, you can go back from Stornoway.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi chickadee. There is disruption to the Stornoway Ullapool ferry in may due to work on the harbour though the Uig to Harris ferry should run as normal but might be busier. I think calmac are going to run extra ferries from Uig probably worth checking their website nearer the time. I was on Harris last may and climbed Clisham unfortunately the cloud was down but would be a great viewpoint on a good day. You can get a boat from Leverburgh on Harris to St. Kilda. It takes over 2 hours and is expensive but worth looking in to. St Kilda is a UNESCO double world heritage site which puts it up there with Machu Picchu (a trip of a lifetime).

Boreray and the Stacs St. Kilda May 2014
P1080082 (640x427).jpg

If you manage to get to the highest point on Boreray ( the island topped by cloud in the picture) it would be a bigger task than climbing any of the munros. Some would say a greater achievement than doing all the munros. Its only 384 metres (1,260 ft) high. How hard can it be :lol:
Sunset tripper

Postby irishwasa » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm

I have the same sort of dilemna, but I have settled on drop the motor round Beauly way, catch the train to Strathcarron and have a weeks wandering. Initially North of Loch Monar, round Loch Mullardoch and then down Glen Affric and out to Beauly. Looks to be plenty of hills to climb, or avoid, plenty of views and no roads. And shouldn't be many other folk around during the weekdays :D
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Hi chickadee. There is disruption to the Stornoway Ullapool ferry in may due to work on the harbour though the Uig to Harris ferry should run as normal but might be busier. I think calmac are going to run extra ferries from Uig probably worth checking their website nearer the time. I was on Harris last may and climbed Clisham unfortunately the cloud was down but would be a great viewpoint on a good day. You can get a boat from Leverburgh on Harris to St. Kilda. It takes over 2 hours and is expensive but worth looking in to. St Kilda is a UNESCO double world heritage site which puts it up there with Machu Picchu (a trip of a lifetime).

Boreray and the Stacs St. Kilda May 2014
P1080082 (640x427).jpg

If you manage to get to the highest point on Boreray ( the island topped by cloud in the picture) it would be a bigger task than climbing any of the munros. Some would say a greater achievement than doing all the munros. Its only 384 metres (1,260 ft) high. How hard can it be :lol:

Ah I'd love to go there! If it's even the slightest bit choppy though I'd be sick as a dog. Yes I worry about boats a lot, haha.. I wish I had sea legs as I love the water, but it doesn't love me. I do harbour (haha sorry for the pun) ambitions to get to St Kilda though... maybe have to be brave! I managed Staffa after all.

I heard about the ferry works going on, for some reason I thought they would be done by May but I probably misread it! I will look into that. The islands just look beautiful and ideal for a potter about by myself, but on the other hand am I missing good chances to get some big hills done... Even on a rainy day I bet everything looks very lovely and atmospheric out there.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby Kevin29035 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:54 am

On the Western Isles theme (though there are many more places to recommend!) I've had a great time on Harris, in addition to the biggest four, Cliseam to Tiorga Mor, other really good ones there are Todun, Roineabhal, Sgaoth Iosal and Sgaoth Aird, Ceapabhal...
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby prog99 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 am

Basing yourself around Ullapool would (I think) give you all of the above. Big munros, wee hills and beaches all within easy reach.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby chickadee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:On the Western Isles theme (though there are many more places to recommend!) I've had a great time on Harris, in addition to the biggest four, Cliseam to Tiorga Mor, other really good ones there are Todun, Roineabhal, Sgaoth Iosal and Sgaoth Aird, Ceapabhal...

Please feel free to recommend! I do have a long long list of places to go, it's just having a week off I thought to take advantage and go further afield, which is harder to do when you only have a weekend, of course.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:22 pm

irishwasa wrote:I have the same sort of dilemna, but I have settled on drop the motor round Beauly way, catch the train to Strathcarron and have a weeks wandering. Initially North of Loch Monar, round Loch Mullardoch and then down Glen Affric and out to Beauly. Looks to be plenty of hills to climb, or avoid, plenty of views and no roads. And shouldn't be many other folk around during the weekdays :D

I've never camped alone or walked a proper long distance yet, so even though that sounds fab I'm not sure if I could do it? I guess I could... that sort of thing sounds great, no people, hooray!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby DonnyW » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:49 pm

If you have not explored the Glenfinnan area Chickadee ..then you could save a fortune in car ferries by trying there.

Many campsites on the sandy shores at Arisaig..or “wild” car camping at Loch Ailort.
Deserted sandy beaches everywhere you go

Small hills behind Arisaig offering fantastic views over Eigg and Rum.. or low level walks to Tarbet and Loch Nevis from Loch Morar

If its a nice day catch a ferry trip to climb the Sgur of Eigg
Another nice day catch a day trip ferry to Inverie and into Loch Nevis.

Bigger hills around Loch Ailort and Glenfinnan..all with great views

Not to mention sunsets to die for

If the weather is not so good.. visit Mallaig or Fort William

It is quiet but you are also near civilisation if being on your own worries you.

Not too far from home either..a tank full of petrol will get you there and back. Boat trips are short and as you are not taking a car.. relatively cheap

Worth a thought ?
DonnyW

Postby irishwasa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:19 pm

chickadee wrote:I've never camped alone or walked a proper long distance yet, so even though that sounds fab I'm not sure if I could do it? I guess I could... that sort of thing sounds great, no people, hooray!

That wouldn't be a problem, as the area is bounded by the railway for a good way on the North and West. This means you can set any distance you like, or, (as I do), just meander as it suits at the time. And because of the railway, you could opt out to any one of several stations and head back to the car if you needed to bail out. In an area that size, there are plenty of options for being as close, or as far, from civilisation as you desire. :wink:
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:37 pm

DonnyW wrote:If you have not explored the Glenfinnan area Chickadee ..then you could save a fortune in car ferries by trying there.

Worth a thought ?

On those photos, definitely! I actually did a Mallaig trip in 2013 but I didn't do any walking, it was my first real exploration alone in the car so it was mainly driving. Lovely land-/seascape. Would certainly consider. cheers x
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby chickadee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 pm

prog99 wrote:Basing yourself around Ullapool would (I think) give you all of the above. Big munros, wee hills and beaches all within easy reach.

Tis a good plan! Already browsing possible accommodation.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:01 pm

chickadee wrote:Tis a good plan! Already browsing possible accommodation.

You could try here "Essex Cottage, B&B, West Terrace, Ullapool, Ross-shire, IV26 2UU"
I stayed there for one night last year in a twin room with view over the loch, think it cost about £30 and breakfast was good :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:25 am

chickadee wrote:
Kevin29035 wrote:On the Western Isles theme (though there are many more places to recommend!) I've had a great time on Harris, in addition to the biggest four, Cliseam to Tiorga Mor, other really good ones there are Todun, Roineabhal, Sgaoth Iosal and Sgaoth Aird, Ceapabhal...

Please feel free to recommend! I do have a long long list of places to go, it's just having a week off I thought to take advantage and go further afield, which is harder to do when you only have a weekend, of course.

A good place to go based on your first brief could be Knoydart - you can go up the hills, but the glens are deeply incised so you can get in and out while keeping relatively low-level, good bothies too.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion