walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River Almond Walk

River Almond Walk

Postby Faith » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 pm

I've been trying to figure out if you can walk the full length of Edinburgh's River Almond and I'm not getting very far. When I do a search online it just keeps coming up with the Cramond to Cammo section and nothing else, but I know the path goes on from there, but I was wondering if it stopped a little further on?
Does anyone know if you can walk the full length and where I might find any information about this online?
Thanks
Faith
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: River Almond Walk

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Google edinburgh city core paths. Then download the paths. Full almond river walks is cec 11. Grey dash line is the incomplete bits.

Every council makes the core paths avaliable to download. Great tool for making interesting local walks ;-) jac
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby RiverSong » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm not sure I should be telling you this because it's such a beautiful part of Edinburgh which not many people even know exists. You can walk along the River Almond from Cramond to the back of the airport, from there you can walk past Turnhouse to the Maybury and catch a bus back to the city centre or wherever.

There is a good path from Cramond Brig which goes past the Cammo Estate, then you follow another path which takes you round the edge of farmer's fields, with the water on one side of you. The good path does eventually peter out, but you should find the going ok, if not you can walk along the quiet road for a while before picking up the path again just before you come to the airport. It's a lovely walk in the summer when the fields are ripe with corn.

I shouldn't tell you this either but there is an equally stunning walk from Cramond Brig to South Queensferry which follows the line of the River Forth and is part of the new John Muir Way.

You can find both of these walks on the maps of Edinburgh provided by this website.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 pm

RiverSong wrote:I'm not sure I should be telling you this because it's such a beautiful part of Edinburgh which not many people even know exists. You can walk along the River Almond from Cramond to the back of the airport, ...

There is a good path from Cramond Brig which goes past the Cammo Estate, then you follow another path which takes you round the edge of farmer's fields, with the water on one side of you. The good path does eventually peter out, but you should find the going ok, if not you can walk along the quiet road for a while before picking up the path again just before you come to the airport. It's a lovely walk in the summer when the fields are ripe with corn..

It was well enough known when I was growing up in the west of Edinburgh in the early '70s. We were always out and about there on foot or by bike, having adventures and generally messing about, even on one occasion trying to paddle down the river in a tiny inflatable dinghy (and falling in). Last time I went for a look, on a bright sunny summer day during the school holidays there were no kids about at all, just a couple of dog walkers and a lone jogger. Presumably todays teenagers are too busy playing computer games, or texting ... .
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby RiverSong » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:28 pm

I enjoyed your memories Rab, must have been a happy childhood.

The Almond walkway around Cramond Brig is very popular especially on Saturday/Sunday but not many people venture as far as the back of the airport. It's mostly other walkers, joggers, cyclists and dog-walkers i meet, sometimes families but very few teenagers. Like you, i often wish they would stop texting and start living.

I've just realised i made an error in the walk description i gave earlier. In case anyone is still interested, the walk along the River takes you to the back of the airport but not to Turnhouse. From the airport you can continue along the cycle path/old railway line to Kirkliston and from there catch a bus back to Edinburgh or wherever. If you want to walk to Turnhouse you need to follow the minor road which goes round the side of the Cammo Estate, this will eventually bring you out at Turnhouse and from there you can walk to the Maybury. There are fantastic views of the Pentlands from here, but it's not a nice road to walk down as the cars go very fast.

The Edinburgh - South Queensferry walk is the best of all, did you ever do that one Rab?
RiverSong
Walker

Postby miscology » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I did this route today all the way up to the airport. It was very nice. Very muddy though. Said hello to some nice ladies by the river having a picnic, so you know summer is around the corner.

miscology
Scrambler

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:47 am

RiverSong wrote:I enjoyed your memories Rab, must have been a happy childhood.

The Almond walkway around Cramond Brig is very popular especially on Saturday/Sunday but not many people venture as far as the back of the airport. It's mostly other walkers, joggers, cyclists and dog-walkers i meet, sometimes families but very few teenagers. Like you, i often wish they would stop texting and start living.

I've just realised i made an error in the walk description i gave earlier. In case anyone is still interested, the walk along the River takes you to the back of the airport but not to Turnhouse. From the airport you can continue along the cycle path/old railway line to Kirkliston and from there catch a bus back to Edinburgh or wherever. If you want to walk to Turnhouse you need to follow the minor road which goes round the side of the Cammo Estate, this will eventually bring you out at Turnhouse and from there you can walk to the Maybury. There are fantastic views of the Pentlands from here, but it's not a nice road to walk down as the cars go very fast.

The Edinburgh - South Queensferry walk is the best of all, did you ever do that one Rab?

Yes, I did do Queensferry to Cramond via Dalmeny estate and across the river on the (sadly now defunct) ferry but not until I was older, as in the early 70's the estate were not exactly welcoming to gangs of teenagers roaming in search of adventure. Cramond island was a favourite, though, what with the added frisson of perhaps being marooned by a rising tide; and Corstorphine Hill with its woods and rocky outcrops.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Faith » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi All,
Thank you all very much for your replies. I've walked it a few times to Cammo, but never any further so it's good to know it's accessible all the way up to the airport.
Today we walked from Ocean Terminal, along the coast to Cramond, then to Cammo and finished in Corstorphine where I live, so next time I'll try going all the way up the Almond River.
Thank you again
Faith
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby altay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:32 pm

In answer to the original question... No (unless you are really keen.) :wink:

From Cramond you can get as far as the point where the Gogar Burn exits from underneath the airport runway and joins the Almond but then you are faced with quite a challenge... not insurmountable but definitley challenging.....

IMG_0462 (640x480).jpg
Gogar Burn joins the Almond

IMG_0463 (640x480).jpg
Towards the airport fence

IMG_0460 (480x640).jpg
The only dry crossing option....

Seems like it would only take a bit of co-operation between the Cooncil and the airport to make the crossing useable?
altay
Mountaineer

Munros:32   
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion