walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Help with a long, interesting, low level walk

Help with a long, interesting, low level walk

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello WH! It's been some time since iposted here, and while I did manage to get in a few excellent munro rounds last year, I didn't manage a single TR :o Shame on me.

Easter traditionally heralds the start of my hillwalking but some late snow and my lack of crampons (got the axe) means I'd rather not risk trying something I'm not equipped to deal with. I still want to get outside though, and at least start to build up some walking fitness after months of too much ale and too few movements.

And so to my request for help. I'm looking for a long (anything up to 30KM) , low-level; flattish walk. Ideally one with some nice mountainous scenery, and south of the great glen (though I could extend my radius a wee bit further for a belter...) .

Here's the tricky part...and the part where I hope the gathered experience and wisdom of WH users can be brought to bear....I'd quite like to try something new that isn't used a normal approach for a munro or other popular route. That might be tricky, but if anyone has some thoughts on lesser trodden paths they'd like to share, I'm all ears. :D

Many thanks!
Stevie
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Re: Help with a long, interesting, low level walk

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:19 pm

I have heard of somebody walking round Loch Quoich when the mountains were no go. Fairly rough but lovely surrounding hills.

Failing that, a non-mountainous but thoroughly recommended walk is the Fife Coastal path. Start at St. Andrews and walk as far as you want. You can peel off at various small towns along the way, and it is very captivating. You even have the Chain Walk at Elie to spice it up a bit (if you get that far).

(Edited to take out an Ullapool related walk :( :( )
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Personally, I find coastal walks a great compromise when the weather is poor on the hills. Though it does normally mean its still pretty windy!

My favourite bits are, though, probably all N and W of the Great Glen, as that's where I've been, but I bet there are some great ones elsewhere too. Can be very hard going sometimes, as a surprising amount are trackless, with lots of up and down.

I also like Glen Affric very much, it might be possible, if you can arrange the transport, to walk from the Loch Affric car park out to Morvich or Cluanie. Again, sorry, north of Great Glen.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Sgurr,

Thanks for the suggestions! Loch Quoich could be a goer, though it's (slightly) beyond my great glen cut-off - self-imposed, but because there's only so far I can drive from and back to Edinburgh in a day without falling asleep!).

The Fife coastal path is a good plan B if the weather isn't great further north, though it's already a well trodden favourite - St Monanas to Anstruther - Fish & Chips and then back!

Mal - Affric is a contender, being a part of Scotland I've always wanted to visit. Old Scots pines are a favourite of mine, and Affric seems to be up there with Rothiemurchus as a place to see them! :D
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Postby ExpatEddie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Stevie,

You've got some good suggestions here but you know that if you don't fancy the big Munros you don't have to go totally low level. Come south into the Borders and tackle a few (more - see you have 3) Donalds. Up for consideration is the Glen Sax Horseshoe at Peebles, the Ettrickhead 4. Lochcraighead and White Coomb from the Grey Mare's tail is a good day out.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Walking round Loch Quoich sounds horrific (although with good scenery). I walked out from Gleann Chosaidh on the north side back to the road. Probably less than 1/5 of the total loch shore but not particularly easy going.

I think for a walk of that length, using the train or bus is the key as you can walk in one direction. Parking in Fort William and getting the train to Corrour, then walking back out via Loch Treig and Glen Nevis back to the car would provide impressive scenery and remoteness without going high. A slightly shorter version would be to park at Spean Bridge, get the train to Corrour then walk back out via Loch Treig and Lairig Leacach.

A walk from Bridge of Orchy via Victoria Bridge, Loch Dochard, Glen Kinglass, Lairig Dhoireann and Glen Strae to Dalmally would also be great, although less flat and harder to organise (there isn't a single bus/train that will take you from the start to finish, and timetables probably don't match up very well).

Dalwhinnie to Kingussie via Loch Cuaich and Glen Tromie could be a good one, and moving away from trains and stuff, you could do a circuit of Sgurr Mor from Linn of Dee via Glen Lui, Glen Luibeag, Glen Dee and the White Bridge.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Glen Tilt is a nice circular walk, although is on the trade route to a munro.

From Glen Doll car park up to Bachnagairn you can either head over to Jocks Road or up to Sandy hillock and then east to the Capel mounth rd.

Both have about 500-600m climbs but are very gradual and easy going.

The Sgurr Mor circuit is good too but just keep in mind the bridge situation at Derry Woods.

From Dunkeld there are any number of variations you could do on the paths around Loch Ordie. My favourite is to take the left hand track at mill dam and come at loch ordie from the west before heading up by stormont and lochan na cait and returning by reimore hill.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 pm

ExpatEddie wrote:Stevie,

You've got some good suggestions here but you know that if you don't fancy the big Munros you don't have to go totally low level. Come south into the Borders and tackle a few (more - see you have 3) Donalds. Up for consideration is the Glen Sax Horseshoe at Peebles, the Ettrickhead 4. Lochcraighead and White Coomb from the Grey Mare's tail is a good day out.

Went up Glen Sax last week, tho' there has been snow since, I doubt if all that much. The round looks very nice, tho' we only did Birkscairn and back since we had done Dun Rig previously.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Corrour to Dalwhinnie (or vice versa)
or
Corrour to Fort William

(with public transport used to get to and from your start and end point)

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Sabbathstevie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to share your suggestions guys - very much appreciated! :clap:

I should have said that the "low-level" requirement was enforced by better half, who's fed up of me always underpromising how gruelling the climb will be, so she stamped her feet and ensured that this first big walk of the year would be without a climb! :crazy:

As it happens, we ended up in the Cairngorms in blistering sunshine, doing Loch An Eilien to Loch Einich - I'd walked out from Braeriach this way before and loved the contrasts of the surrounding mountains and the wonderful forest, so was keen to revisit. She was impressed, and at least it gave us a good lengthy hike.

anyway, thanks again, some of the other suggestions (particularly those involving the train) were inspiring and I look forward to trying them out! :D
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion