walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fell Running

Fell Running

Postby Ibex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Looking for advice for a beginner. I've started running recently for fitness and hoping to do a lot of the smaller Wainwrights by fell running them.

Looking for any general advice on fell running and advice on foot wear. I run around 5 miles at the moment, but never carry water with me. So looking for useful advice along those lines.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Fell Running

Postby prog99 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 pm

I do a bit. Decent shoes a must, I use some scarpas that are not full on fell running shoes. I've not run more than 10k and dont take water either.
Having the pentland hills on my doorstep does help.
There are definitely a few others who run on here.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Ibex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Any advice on shoe's would be appreciated.
I keep seeing Inno-v8 shoes advertised when looking.

On the subject of fell running I saw this video, which was massively impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetYYCiUfow
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby sonic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Strange how this has cropped up as I have been looking into this lately. My first interest in it was from a gear point of view being all lightweight and minimal for the summer months. But have now been looking at a couple of events later in the year one of which is the pentlands skyline race which will be near yourself prog99. Having said that I'm not much of a runner more into cycling myself but that is so expensive getting. Will be interested how this thread progresses :D
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby sonic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Ibex wrote:Any advice on shoe's would be appreciated.
I keep seeing Inno-v8 shoes advertised when looking.

On the subject of fell running I saw this video, which was massively impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetYYCiUfow

Cracking video with amazing weather and views, videoing it looked a bit dodgy though
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby Ibex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 am

The guy who filmed the video definitely has a hefty set of balls on him.

My problems with fell running are that I live in Oxfordshire, which is sadly pretty much 'flat as a witches tit'.
Hard to find any hills round here.

Climbing the Wainwrights I have just seemed to go for the highest ones, almost exclusively, so have a lot of the smaller ones to cover. I think fell running will be a great way for me to bag more and keep fitter at the same time.
Plus it will probably make me run more often on the flat roads around me, as training. At least I have something to aim for then.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby IamAJMiller » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:46 am

Choice of footwear is the first thing to get right indeed! I use two pairs depending on condition/terrain. Adidas Response Trail for hills with good paths or path-less dry conditions - they have a large stable base with medium grip. In wet or muddy conditions I use the inov-8 Mudclaws which are phenomenal for grip and you can properly belt down the hill with (relative) confidence. Because they are so aggressive in the tread then can be a bit unstable on dry paths; just as my Adidas struggle in thick mud. Hope this helps.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby Ibex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks IamAJMiller thats interesting to know.
One thing I have been wondering about is the fits on Inov-8 shoes. They have standard and precision fit. Any idea what the difference is?
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 am

Another occasional runner here. Running the smaller Wainwrights sounds like a nice plan.

Anything less than an hour or so, there's no need to drink on the go, just have some afterwards.

Next time you're in the Lakes, pay a visit to Pete Blands in Kendal - they will sort you out with some shoes!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Eskimo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I've ran quite a few of the Munros Ibex. Its incredibly hard to begin with so take your time and don't lose faith, it will get easier...eventually.

Some hills are more suited to running than others but most will always consist of some power walking. I have some really hardcore runner friends who have done mega routes (UTMB, MDS etc) and even those guys can't run the really hard, challenging or steep aspects of the hills.

Gear wise, as mentioned you need a good pair of trainers. I have Inov-8 Roclites currently and really like them. Not as grippy as the Mudclaws but much more of an all rounder, Salomon also do cracking hill/ trail trainers.

Once you start going longer distance you will need to think of a lightweight pack that won't P you off when running. Again Inov-8 have great packs for this. Something that can take a hydration bladder is probably best. I have a couple of bags from them in different sizes for varying distances/ loads. Some guys swear buy the bumbags for running but I'm personally not a fan.

A lightweight jacket which can cope with some crappy weather is a must too, I opted for a Goretex Active Shell for this. I run hot so typically get away with shorts but a pair of running tights will come in handy on occasions. You will defo look like a dafty however!

Hope that helps even a little. Any specific questions?
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby malky_c » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:19 pm

I have occasionally dabbled in the past, but not enough to buy a dedicated pair of shoes. I have just tended to run in trainers, which works some of the time. These days I tend to include the odd small hill as part of a flatter cross-country run, rather than proper fell running as it is so damn hard!

I don't know what part of Oxfordshire you are in, but do you have easy access to the Malvern Hills? A double traverse of the full ridge would be as physically demanding as any number of lower Wanwrights (and some of the higher ones) I think.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Funny that, my girlfriend wants me to take up running with her...

My slightly paranoid first though is what injuries (overuse, as opposed to trips etc.) are most common in running? I'm guessing IT band?

Any basic newby steps to preventing and avoiding the most common types of injury?
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby gaffr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm

My daughter takes part in some of the organised runs. I am looking at the calendar of events for 2015 at the moment.
I was aware of her talking about a couple of races recently Cioch Mhor near Dingwall and at Clachnaben last week-end.
According to the calendar the races are in three categories A,B or C which relates to % on the road and to how much uphill there is in each kilometre. Less on the road for A and more uphill for each KL.
Race Categories are Long, Medium or Short. Long being more than 20 kls.
SHR website for much more.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Ibex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:31 pm

malky_c - I live in the far West of Oxfordshire, so the Malverns are aboout an hour or more away. They are probably the closest hills for me.

Eskimo - Thanks a lot for all the info mate. Great stuff.
I need to up my fitness leves big time, as I want to take on some bigger mountains in the future, for charity. Taking up fell running seems rediculous in Oxfordshire, but it will get me running here and also help me knock off a few of the smaller summits a lot quicker too.
I find i'm way more motivated if I have a goal to aim for, so taking this up will be a big kick in the ass for me.

Looking to be coming up to the Lakes as many 4 day stretches as I can, during my shift patterns of 4 on and 4 off.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby meangarry » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Like IamAJMiller earlier, I too have two pairs of fairly cheap (30 squid) adidas trainers. Thin soled grippy ones for wet days on hills and a pair of cushioned ones with less grip for dry days/trail runs/road use. I tend to think about taking my small osprey rucksack with a phone, hat, gloves, wind shirt and mars bar for anything over 10k where i'm likely to be a distance from other humans.
Travel light, stay moving and you stay warm. Obviously theres a risk involved but in the lakes where there are plenty folk about its less so. I tend to check the weather forecast more than if I was heading out a walk just to doubly make sure I'm not going to freeze. :shock:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion